Best Softball Bats Tell or ask about the best slow pitch softball bats.

Best USSSA bat available today?

This is a discussion on Best USSSA bat available today? within the Best Softball Bats forums, part of the General Slowpitch Softball Forum category!
Hello all, Very new to this site and it is my first post...looking for some help in buying a new ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 04:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Derrick
Default Best USSSA bat available today?

Hello all,

Very new to this site and it is my first post...looking for some help in buying a new bat.

Friends and I have been playing a USSSA rec league the past few years using whatever old beat up bats one of us had laying around. Well after watching our opponents crush the ball with hot rod bats the past few seasons I think it is time to buy a real bat.

Looking for the best USSSA legal bat avaivable. $300-400 max budget.

Hoping to get your opinions....thanks in advance for your help!

DjHOj

DJHOJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: B

Depending what you want (new, used, new stamp, old stamp), you can get 2-3 bats with that budget.
And welcome.
oppo likes this.
Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

I am going to be honest - dont know the difference between new stamp or old stamp. Any wouldn't I want a new bat vs an old one?

Yes - when it comes to these bats I am a total noob.

Any links on here to help me learn the lingo and how to buy one?
Old 03-30-2012, 04:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

Yeah, the old stamp bats will perform the best but will only be legal through the end of this year. Of the old stamp bats, I personally like the MV1 but you won't find anything hotter than an original SCX2 Synergy. Not the re-issue but the original one. The prices used to be crazy high but with them only being legal through the end of the year, prices have come way down. Also, an original Freak or Booger or several others will perform very well once good and broken in. Since this sounds like it will be a team bat, I would personally buy and old stamp bat or 2. The new bats will likely be a little hotter out of the wrapper but won't break in as much as the old ones and probably won't be as durable.

As for the new stamp bats for next year, I expect the performance to be very similar with the biggest difference being feel and preference.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Star Player

Originally Posted by DJHOJ View Post
I am going to be honest - dont know the difference between new stamp or old stamp. Any wouldn't I want a new bat vs an old one?

Yes - when it comes to these bats I am a total noob.

Any links on here to help me learn the lingo and how to buy one?
The USSSA standard is 1.20 bpf. The old bats met the standard when new but exceed it when fully broken in. The new bats are designed to break before they exceed the standard. As far as new versus old, the more swings a composite bat has on it, the hotter it will get. They don't wear out, they get better until they eventually break.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Star Player

We were all noobs once and the only dumb question is the one you decide not to ask. We will be glad to answer whatever we can.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ok - so unless I want to buy a new bat 01/01/13 I need to buy a bat with a new stamp. And the new bat is built to break prior to it completely breaking in and surpassing 1.20 bpf (no clue what bpf means).

2 more questions:

How many swings before the average bat hits it sweet spot? In other words - how long can I estimate the new bat to last?

What the best new stamp bats available??
Old 03-30-2012, 05:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Star Player

Ok - so unless I want to buy a new bat 01/01/13 I need to buy a bat with a new stamp. Yes And the new bat is built to break prior to it completely breaking in and surpassing 1.20 bpf (no clue what bpf means). Basically, yes

2 more questions:

How many swings before the average bat hits it sweet spot? In other words - how long can I estimate the new bat to last? Oh boy, that is good question. The short answer is it varies a lot depending on the hitter and from bat to bat and what balls you use. With the old bats, average hitter, I would guess they would last 1500 or so up to 3000-4000 or in the case of a Synergy 2 maybe as much as 10,000. I honestly don't know about the new ones. How many swings till they are pretty broken in will also vary. Some, like Combats, in particular, break in really fast. A couple hundred swings and they are good to go. Others, generally Miken and Easton, take longer, maybe 500 or so. It depends on the model though. My Miken MV1, hit really well with only a hundred or so swings on it but now that it probably has around 1000 on it, it is definitely hotter. Some of the other guys can give you a better answer on this than I can. If you can tell us what your priority is, that would help us to point you in the right direction. For example, is durability, a quick break in, or pure performance more important to you? Do you like an endloaded or balanced bat?

I honestly don't know and would expect the performance to be very similar among all of them.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
hb2
Mod'ing aint Easy

Name: Jay

Worth SlowPitch Softball Bats Miken Combat Baseball Bats DeMarini Rawlings Reviews

get ur team 2 bats... 1 balanced, 1 endloaded. read carefully on each bat to ensure u buy the right one. also, break in time on these new bats is under 100 swings.
hb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: jef

Ok - so unless I want to buy a new bat 01/01/13 I need to buy a bat with a new stamp. And the new bat is built to break prior to it completely breaking in and surpassing 1.20 bpf (no clue what bpf means).

2 more questions:

How many swings before the average bat hits it sweet spot? In other words - how long can I estimate the new bat to last?

I would look at the new Spike Baker 2 piece bat . I woukld also look at the Combatant. Great bat for the price listed at Kerlly sports. jmo
WCCG(209) 617-2824 COMbat roller: Grey Senior og Snake26oz, Yellow MM gear 26el, Scott Brown 98 26 oz, Combatant 26 oz bal, og Derby Boys 26 oz, JMac 26oz, 27oz JK gear, 27oz Ambush, 26OZ sr DIRTY, 26OZ sr FOSSIL, 27oz sr Blue Gate Verteran 26 og, 28oz Gates verteran, og superemacy (RIP)2011 ODB 55AAA Rock'n Reno Wor ld / All Tourney & California Cup Champions, WCGC 14 mod Trap
When your dancing in the dark, if you miss a beat. It still feels good.
Hitts is offline   Reply With Quote