Softball Forum - Slow Pitch Softball Forums > Softball Forums > Softball Regional Forums > Northeast » Do you think there are too many tournaments this time of year?


Northeast CT, MA, RI, VT, NH, ME, PA, NJ, NY, MD, DE

Do you think there are too many tournaments this time of year?


This is a discussion on Do you think there are too many tournaments this time of year? within the Northeast forums, part of the Softball Regional Forums category!
I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the "end of year" tourneys. Years ago, there were pretty much ...




Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

View Poll Results: Who goes?
Pats vs Packers 19 59.38%
Pats vs Giants 11 34.38%
Chargers vs Pats 1 3.13%
Chargers vs Giants 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Name: Tom
Location: Brookhaven, NY
Posts: 12,434
Default Do you think there are too many tournaments this time of year?

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the "end of year" tourneys.

Years ago, there were pretty much no local tourneys this time of year and then ABA began the Turkey Shoot Out. After that, Island began offering a handful of tourneys (Halloween Havoc, Autism, Stuffing & Gravy) and then Metro began offering a few as well.

With all that, it seems every fall weekend is filled with another softball tourney and it occurred to me, that this might be getting to be a bit much.

What does everyone else feel? Please vote in the poll and/or post your comments here.




Tom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Nice Irish Guy
 
IrishRich's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Name: Rich
Location: Boca Raton
Posts: 2,930
Default

It actually seems like there are more tourneys in the fall then the summer, heh. I did used to like the novelty of 3 or 4 tourneys in the fall, but it does seem like overkill now. I also liked that the Island ones were ISA so guys could play with other people and you got more league teams and whatnot.
IrishRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Name: Shane
Location: East meadow
Posts: 1,675
Default

it's probably different with Coed but I appreciate the opportunity to do more tournaments than ever before. Also the more tournaments there are maybe it will attract new teams. For Autism on Sunday it looks like we are the only tournament regulars in there so I am curious.
metsfan33333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Name: Tom
Location: Brookhaven, NY
Posts: 12,434
Default

Originally Posted by IrishRich View Post
It actually seems like there are more tourneys in the fall then the summer, heh. I did used to like the novelty of 3 or 4 tourneys in the fall, but it does seem like overkill now. I also liked that the Island ones were ISA so guys could play with other people and you got more league teams and whatnot.
The "post-worlds" tourneys usually don't have the same roster requirements though, so ISA or USSSA should have no effect on who plays with who.

Mike still gets a bunch of league teams, as does ABA, and this year ABA is not opening the tourney to non-league teams anyway.

I can tell you, the biggest reason why there are more events in the fall than summer is because of field availability. There are fewer demands on ball field use this time of year, so the softball people try and take advantage, although it does seem that baseball is going later and later now as well.
Tom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member
 
bis25's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Name: Brian
Location: Long Island
Posts: 7,115
Default

I think there were too many tournaments this year period and you can count on one hand how many out-of-state teams came to play here (insert Force joke).
bis25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Nice Irish Guy
 
IrishRich's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Name: Rich
Location: Boca Raton
Posts: 2,930
Default

Originally Posted by Tom29 View Post
The "post-worlds" tourneys usually don't have the same roster requirements though, so ISA or USSSA should have no effect on who plays with who.

Mike still gets a bunch of league teams, as does ABA, and this year ABA is not opening the tourney to non-league teams anyway.

I can tell you, the biggest reason why there are more events in the fall than summer is because of field availability. There are fewer demands on ball field use this time of year, so the softball people try and take advantage, although it does seem that baseball is going later and later now as well.
Yeah, I assumed it was because of field availbility.

I think just for the fact that island is USSSA now and the USSSA teams enter it, people feel more obligated to play with their regular teams, when in the past, it was ISA and more of a mish mosh of people. I could be way off base here, I don't know, just the way I saw it.
IrishRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Star Player
 
Joanie20's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Name: Joan
Location: Levittown, NY
Posts: 7,110
Default

Originally Posted by bis25 View Post
I think there were too many tournaments this year period and you can count on one hand how many out-of-state teams came to play here (insert Force joke).
and if there were less tourneys, some of you would complain. can't please everyone.. especially you fuckers.
Joanie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Name: Tom
Location: Brookhaven, NY
Posts: 12,434
Default

Originally Posted by IrishRich View Post
Yeah, I assumed it was because of field availbility.

I think just for the fact that island is USSSA now and the USSSA teams enter it, people feel more obligated to play with their regular teams, when in the past, it was ISA and more of a mish mosh of people. I could be way off base here, I don't know, just the way I saw it.
I understand what you mean, although just based on the last few events, it seems people have been jumping around. Perhaps not as much, but I've definitely seen different faces in different places.

Originally Posted by bis25 View Post
I think there were too many tournaments this year period and you can count on one hand how many out-of-state teams came to play here (insert Force joke).
Why would you say there were too many throughout the year?
Tom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Nice Irish Guy
 
IrishRich's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Name: Rich
Location: Boca Raton
Posts: 2,930
Default

Originally Posted by Tom29 View Post
I understand what you mean, although just based on the last few events, it seems people have been jumping around. Perhaps not as much, but I've definitely seen different faces in different places.
I haven't been around in the fall now for 2 years, I was just guessing really. Too damn cold there, I like my 70s and 80s
IrishRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member
 
bis25's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Name: Brian
Location: Long Island
Posts: 7,115
Default

Originally Posted by Tom29 View Post

Why would you say there were too many throughout the year?
It just seemed that there was one every weekend. I guess its good in some ways that teams dont have to travel to play, but the drawback is you play the same teams every tournament. Even with all these tournaments it was rare to see a CT or NJ team.
bis25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:54 AM.