The Glove Forum Defense is a big part of the game, discuss and review fielding gloves here!

Thinking about a glove purchase

This is a discussion on Thinking about a glove purchase within the The Glove Forum forums, part of the Softball Equipment category!
So I have a dilemma. I have always had the same glove my entire life. I am not exaggerating. My ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Chris
Default Thinking about a glove purchase

So I have a dilemma. I have always had the same glove my entire life. I am not exaggerating. My dad bought me my current glove when I was in T-ball. He said I would grow into it, I did. I have never liked using another glove. I think it's because I am not used to them.
It's old as all hell but I feel very comfortable with it and don't know if upgrading would be detrimental.
I spend a ton of money on bats, why shouldn't I drop a decent amount on a nice glove that may improve my defense side of the game.
My real questions are,
1. Will a better glove improve my performance or maybe even hurt it?
2. What's a trap?
3. Is there a preferred size glove for infielders? I mainly play third and first and occassionaly pitch. I currently use a 12.5
4. Also non bias, should I get a Roddy or Vinci or other?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, maybe I will even call you guys to talk about this purchase.
My current glove is a RBG36 Rawlings Ken Griffey JR. If that helps at all.

Chrisklol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: Mike

Originally Posted by Chrisklol View Post
2. What's a trap?
3. Is there a preferred size glove for infielders? I mainly play third and first and occassionaly pitch. I currently use a 12.5

Thanks for taking the time to read this, maybe I will even call you guys to talk about this purchase.
1. Not necessarily. A larger glove may help you make a catch that you couldn't with a smaller glove...and vice versa. Only practice and repetition will improve your performance.
2. It's a trapeze web...google Rawlings PRO-T, PRO-TB24, Miuzno GMP 7.
3. It's all personal preference. You could get 5 different answers from 5 different people. I personally use an 11.5", but I've heard of other guys playing with as large as a 13". Whatever is comfortable to you should be what you should play with.
4. Roddy? No. Vinci? Possibly, if you're in to that kind of thing. You're at a huge disadvantage if you're limiting yourself to those two manufacturers.

I had a RBG36 as a kid and still own it to this day!

Check out a Made in USA Rawlings Heart of the Hide PRO-B or PRO-6. Same pattern as you're used to, but a SIGNIFICANT increase in leather quality. These USA HOHs will last you the rest of your entire softball career and your son's.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Chris

Thanks for the info.. I have been using the RBG36 since I was 5 or 6 years old and still to this day.. How much do good condition or niw HOH go for?
Chrisklol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Frisco

So I have a dilemma. I have always had the same glove my entire life. I am not exaggerating. My dad bought me my current glove when I was in T-ball. He said I would grow into it, I did. I have never liked using another glove. I think it's because I am not used to them.
It's old as all hell but I feel very comfortable with it and don't know if upgrading would be detrimental.
I spend a ton of money on bats, why shouldn't I drop a decent amount on a nice glove that may improve my defense side of the game.
My real questions are,
2. What's a trap?

1. A better glove isn't going to help you get to the ball faster, obviously. But what happens when the ball hits the glove could be different.

2. Here are two examples of a "trap" or "trapeze" glove. The first is a Mizuno GMP7C. I've heard this sort of trapeze web called a Japanese Trapeze, because if you take a look, you can see that the trapeze web is held onto the glove with lacing.

The second is a Rawlings PROTB24. Also a trapeze glove, but notice how the "web" (I put quotes around it because it's not really a web in this case.... it's more like a sixth finger) is actually PART of the glove, and not held onto it with lacing like the Mizuno.

3. Infielders tend to use gloves from 12 to 12.5 inches. This is purely up to you, though. Go with what you're comfortable with. People will say they don't like to use too big of a glove, though, on the infield, because with a bigger glove, it takes them longer to find the ball and make the transfer.

4. I suggest you look at Mizuno, Rawlings, and Wilson. In that order.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: Mike

How much do good condition or niw HOH go for?
Around $150-200 depending on the pattern. Again, you want it to say Made in USA in the palm.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Name: Heath

Dirty is the man to hook you up

Originally Posted by PaulieWalnuts View Post
Wearing crocs is like getting blown by a dude. Feels great until you look down and realize your gay.
CYCLONES_COACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Bryan

Mine is an (A2000 1799B) 12 1/2" H web glove. I loosened the laces on the web to make a deeper pocket. It also comes in 12 3/4" which wasn't available when I got mine last year. IDK if there's even that much of a difference between the pocket size of each? Its only a 1/4" difference? I've been told that an OF baseball glove is a good slow pitch IF glove, IMHO it's the best glove I've used so far.
berics5576 is offline   Reply With Quote