The Glove Forum Defense is a big part of the game, discuss and review fielding gloves here!

Help Me Buy My New Glove

This is a discussion on Help Me Buy My New Glove within the The Glove Forum forums, part of the Softball Equipment category!
So I've been thinking about picking up a new glove. I currently have a Vinci BMB-L I use everywhere in ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Justin
Default Help Me Buy My New Glove

So I've been thinking about picking up a new glove. I currently have a Vinci BMB-L I use everywhere in the infield and a PJV-416 I use in the outfield. I'm thinking of buying a glove that I can use everywhere on the field and I keep coming back to a Net-T web glove somewhere in the 13"-13.5" range, but probably 13.25" or 13". I want the glove to be able to be used at every position without switching gloves when I switch positions, especially when I switch mid-inning. I am thinking modified trap for the web because I think it will stop ball spin on fly balls like a trap, but have the strip of leather at the top of the web to grab ground balls and make snowcone catches like an H-web. Is my thinking correct?

I looked around, but I did not see any Net-T web stock gloves made by Vinci this large. Is that because that is too long of a glove for that web pattern? I know I can custom order a glove with that web in that size, but didn't know if it was discouraged.

I've never had a glove with mesh. Does dirt get in the mesh easy? Is it harder to clean than leather? I've just always bought all leather gloves in the past, but am considering a mesh back to save weight. How much weight does it save?

What are everyone's thoughts on my proposed glove? I know some Major level guys use 13.5" gloves for middle infield, so I don't think the glove will be too big for infield, but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on that, too. What's the difference between the Limited and Optimus series Vinci custom gloves?

What brand and series of glove do you recommend for a 13-13.25" modified trap glove? I want something that actually plays between a 13-13.25" (unlike my 13" BMB-L that plays shorter than 13").

Last edited by jstn8887; 08-12-2013 at 12:33 AM.
jstn8887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: Ken
Default Re: Help Me Buy My New Glove

Other site is down for maintenance so I'll talk mpre about it here. You can get a 13.25" glove in a Net-T without any issue.

Also, I am not one to say that Vinci is heads and shoulders above every other glove out there yadayada, rather I feel they are comparable in quality to other top manufactures with patterns and sizes I prefer for softball. I will say the Vinci mesh is heads and shoulders better than other companies mesh, notably Rawlings. The downside is that the mesh is not that much lighter or very breathable, the tremendous upside is that it's incredibly stiff and durable, more so than leather.

Sent From Greatness

34/30 Club

Repping gloves in NorCal
chrometip78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
On The Team

Also, a Net-T web can be made deep and wide without issue, the glove frames are the same, it's just a matter of how loose/tight the lace is and how the glove is shaped.

Sent From Greatness

34/30 Club

Repping gloves in NorCal
Old 08-12-2013, 04:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you, chrometip78, that all makes sense. Now to actually find a modified trap in my desired size because the AB74 will be too small...

More opinions are welcomed, too.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
On The Team

No problemo, realistically you're going to need to go the custom route, not enough floating around for sale. Most that have them hang on to them.

Sent From Greatness

34/30 Club

Repping gloves in NorCal
Old 08-12-2013, 04:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Originally Posted by chrometip78 View Post
No problemo, realistically you're going to need to go the custom route, not enough floating around for sale. Most that have them hang on to them.

Sent From Greatness
That's what I figured, oh well... I don't really want a used glove anyway because I don't have very fat fingers and buying a used glove will probably result in me having a glove with finger stalls stretched out too much.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
On The Team

Yeah I don't mind used bats, but I buy my gloves new now to nreak them in my way even though I have xxl hands.

Sent From Greatness

34/30 Club

Repping gloves in NorCal