ASA Amateur Softball Association

SS positioning on the field

This is a discussion on SS positioning on the field within the ASA forums, part of the Softball Associations category!
In a game we had a team whose SS would move into a rover like position and play behind 2nd ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2015, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Lindsay
Default SS positioning on the field

In a game we had a team whose SS would move into a rover like position and play behind 2nd base or sometimes behind the 2nd baseman, leaving the SS position completely when a left hand hitter was up. Is this legal? The ump never said anything but some other players said he can't do that. If it is ok or not, can you list the rule (ASA) that says this. I've searched and can't find anything on it.
Of note, there are 4 outfielders in the field too when he does this. And it is a recreational league where some players on the teams have never played the game. I guess he is helping out the weaker players.

Lluccous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Fred

Nothing I know of against it. Except for pitcher/catcher you can play anywhere you want.
PST CLUB MEMBER #1

28.5 oz Ligit ASA HD52 Jeff Hall Reload
28 oz PST98 (BP Bat)(Actual weight 29.2 oz)(BP 22 1/4")
28 oz Worth WS23 (Actual Weight 29.8 oz)
28 oz Worth Black EST (BP 20 3/4") (Actual weight 28.8oz/BP 20 3/8")
27 oz Combat Virus Morphed (Actual wight 27.4 oz)
marlsrsoftball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for replying. I talked to a guy and he said he didn't think you could do that. That the SS was essentially playing the rover position and it appeared as there were 5 outfielders and 3 infielders. I'm hoping you can do that because he plays on my team and he is awesome! Lol!
Old 08-06-2015, 12:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Duane

I don't see anything in ASA Rule 4 that covers players that says anything about where anyone plays. Don't know why there would be a rule about where anyone must be positioned. I played SS for years and often played in the grass, and no one ever said anything.

The only time I shifted like you're talking about was against a guy who I knew well. He was just about automatic to deep right center, but couldn't go to left very well. I'd sometimes play in shallow center just to bait him into trying to go to left. He didn't fall for it often and usually flew out when he did. I think he beat me 1 time. This was in our church league with players of a wide range of experience and ability. I wouldn't do that in a competitive situation. I did it as a joke as much as anything.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: Blue

No rule against it. Play ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a rule question? Ask it here!

In MY bag: 4 indicators, 4 brushes, 10 Bat Rings, 2 Flipping Coins, 2 pens, 2 pencils, 1 tub of gum.

Just opened a new forum exclusively for softball umpires! Come visit here.
NCASAUmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks!