Newbie Softball DiscussionZ New to SFZ? Introductions and Newbie Discussions. There is no such thing as a stupid question in this forum.

Watch the pitcher!

This is a discussion on Watch the pitcher! within the Newbie Softball DiscussionZ forums, part of the Softball Forum category!
What do people think of the advice to watch the opposing pitcher? I can understand, perhaps, why professional baseball players ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnThomas-truthtable

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: John
Rolleyes Watch the pitcher!

What do people think of the advice to watch the opposing pitcher? I can understand, perhaps, why professional baseball players are not studying the opposing pitcher every second while they are waiting to bat. They have professional scouting reports. And, their pitching can be intimidating. But...I don't understand why amateurs in slow pitch do not do this. Most of the pitchers you face have very predictable patterns if you look for them. Yet, people sit on the bench preoccupied with everything else. Comments?
oppo likes this.

https://www.amazon.com/author/truthtable
JohnThomas-truthtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Fred

I agree. Most pitchers have a pattern. For example we have one pitcher who always on 2nd strike throws a knuckle ball. We have another pitcher who quick pitches (gets away with it) but you know it is coming in flat about waist high.

When I pitch I try to pitch in a pattern and vary pitches. I don't always throw a strike on me first pitch

That is one distinction I make between being a pitcher and being just a thrower who can throw strikes.
PST CLUB MEMBER #1

28.5 oz Ligit ASA HD52 Jeff Hall Reload
28 oz PST98 (BP Bat)(Actual weight 29.2 oz)(BP 22 1/4")
28 oz Worth WS23 (Actual Weight 29.8 oz)
28 oz Worth Black EST (BP 20 3/4") (Actual weight 28.8oz/BP 20 3/8")
27 oz Combat Virus Morphed (Actual wight 27.4 oz)
marlsrsoftball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Mark R Souza

ya man.. you never know when hes gonna throw that 12 MPH lob

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
12souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

Actually, studying the pitcher is very good advice. Many of us do have patterns. We find what works and we keep using it because most batters don't pay attention to what we are doing. It isn't just about hitting a "12 mph lob". It is about being effective at the plate. It is about not hitting a ground ball with a runner on first, not hitting into the strength of the defense, not flying out, or hell, not hitting one out when it will hurt your team.

The best pitch I have ever thrown was a meatball. The bases loaded with no outs. I knew the hitter's swing and the wind was blowing out to left. I placed the ball perfectly and it landed close to 400' from home plate. It got us out of the inning and accounted for a total of 5 outs. I have also made a lot hitter's look pretty bad because I set them up and got them to swing at the pitch I wanted. Batters who have studied me, on the other hand, fair much better.

" Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest"
-Mahatma Ghandi
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Fred

Originally Posted by oppo View Post
Actually, studying the pitcher is very good advice. Many of us do have patterns. We find what works and we keep using it because most batters don't pay attention to what we are doing. It isn't just about hitting a "12 mph lob". It is about being effective at the plate. It is about not hitting a ground ball with a runner on first, not hitting into the strength of the defense, not flying out, or hell, not hitting one out when it will hurt your team.

The best pitch I have ever thrown was a meatball. The bases loaded with no outs. I knew the hitter's swing and the wind was blowing out to left. I placed the ball perfectly and it landed close to 400' from home plate. It got us out of the inning and accounted for a total of 5 outs. I have also made a lot hitter's look pretty bad because I set them up and got them to swing at the pitch I wanted. Batters who have studied me, on the other hand, fair much better.
That is why I try not to develop habits when I pitch. Usually I will pitch different in 2nd game.
PST CLUB MEMBER #1

28.5 oz Ligit ASA HD52 Jeff Hall Reload
28 oz PST98 (BP Bat)(Actual weight 29.2 oz)(BP 22 1/4")
28 oz Worth WS23 (Actual Weight 29.8 oz)
28 oz Worth Black EST (BP 20 3/4") (Actual weight 28.8oz/BP 20 3/8")
27 oz Combat Virus Morphed (Actual wight 27.4 oz)
marlsrsoftball is offline   Reply With Quote