Softball Forum - Slow Pitch Softball Forums > Softball Forum > Newbie Softball DiscussionZ » Starting a softball team for the first time, please answer my Q's.

Newbie Softball DiscussionZ New to SFZ? Introductions and Newbie Discussions. There is no such thing as a stupid question in this forum.

Starting a softball team for the first time, please answer my Q's.

This is a discussion on Starting a softball team for the first time, please answer my Q's. within the Newbie Softball DiscussionZ forums, part of the Softball Forum category!
Hello everyone! Here's the scoop: Me and my friends are hoping to join a recreational softball league. None of us ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By oilslick58
  • 1 Post By LSX Freak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 06:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Kevin
Lightbulb Starting a softball team for the first time, please answer my Q's.

Hello everyone! Here's the scoop: Me and my friends are hoping to join a recreational softball league. None of us have ANY experience in playing in a league. We aren't expert skilled players but we're half decent. We all want to join a league for several reasons, 1. To experience the special team camaraderie that softball offers, 2. To be more active 3. To have fun!

We are all very committed and passionate with the game of softball. I stepped up to basically get this team together, figure out costs, and the general ins and outs with joining a league. I have a few questions I'm hoping I can get answered on this forum. ALSO, please chime in with any advice, tips, or any type of information that would come in handy.

1. What is a recommended # of players you have on your team?

2. How much did you/your team pay per player for league costs?

3. Do you know any softball leagues in the BAY AREA/ CALIFORNIA?

4. How was your experience playing in a team full of friends in a softball league?

5. Any other info I'm forgetting?!

Thanks!

MenevoPetunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: D J

Advice.............Money up front............always
everything else will fall into place
oppo and elbman like this.
oilslick58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: CB

Originally Posted by oilslick58 View Post
Advice.............Money up front............always
everything else will fall into place
good luck with that...hell I still haven't paid for the new team I'm on yet.

In my defense I came on 2 games in & my coach hasn't said anything.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Jesse

1. 12.
2. $25/person, 10 game season.
3. No.
4. Horrible. They're your "friends" so you're expected to forgive them for no showing or bailing an hour before the game.
5. Charge a few bucks extra to cover the cost of a handful of GOOD softballs for the team to hit.
oppo likes this.
LSX Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

1) It depends on how reliable they are. IF the guys prove to be reliable, I like having 11 and some subs available to call if needed. If they aren't reliable, you will need more.
2) $35 just for league fees. Also figure in plenty of balls and jerseys.
3) No, but I am sure there are plenty.
4) Playing with friends can be fun or it can just be a headache if they expect to play where they want without earning the spot or think it is ok to no show.
5) Be clear about expectations up front. Collect money up front. Have plenty of balls. Be sure you know the bat rules and have approved bats for whatever league you are in.

" Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest"
-Mahatma Ghandi
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: B

Alameda used to have some fun leagues (Lydecker? & ??), but it has been awhile. Check SL and CV too depending what side of Oaktown you are in. Maybe Berkeley or the other side of the tunnel. Don't get so far away though to give your guys an excuse to not show up.
Focus on having fun and improving your game and if your friends are truly as committed then it can be alright…except for the expectations mentioned above. Have any borderline hotheads or prima donnas?
Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Brian

I also just started playing slow pitch in East Bay Area (Alameda to be exact). Here are some tips that got me started. We are on are 3rd season coming up.

1. What is a recommended # of players you have on your team?

I have 12, but I would have liked to have 10 since my players are very reliable and I have list of 5 subs that are itching to play

2. How much did you/your team pay per player for league costs?

$35-40 each

3. Do you know any softball leagues in the BAY AREA/ CALIFORNIA?

Alameda has good leagues. We play Wed. nights

4. How was your experience playing in a team full of friends in a softball league?

It is great fun, but there are a couple of players that don't practice, aren't very good, and don't take suggestions which is very annoying. It might be on my side of the street though since I am impatient with players that aren't good and also don't take suggestions.

5. Any other info I'm forgetting?!

It is really fun playing and I suggest looking into some Alameda leagues. Hit me up if you need more info.
mentalsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, leagues, questions, softball