Newbie Softball DiscussionZ New to SFZ? Introductions and Newbie Discussions. There is no such thing as a stupid question in this forum.

New pitcher needs safety advice

This is a discussion on New pitcher needs safety advice within the Newbie Softball DiscussionZ forums, part of the Softball Forum category!
I drew the short straw to be pitcher and I've never done it before. I've been practicing and I feel ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Ed
Default New pitcher needs safety advice

I drew the short straw to be pitcher and I've never done it before. I've been practicing and I feel good about throwing strikes now. Any tips on not getting my head knocked off?

"Yeah, well, Joe Pepitone or not, I own the inside of that plate! So I throw one inside, a little chin music... put him right on his pants, because I got to intimidate when I'm on the mound. Well, the next pitch, he's right back in the same place! So.... I had to plunk him."
JimmyLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: CB

Yep. Be aware is the main thing. I toss the ball & move to the far back left/right of the circle. If you’re really concerned they make face masks & shin guards for slow pitch pitchers.
oppo likes this.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

The main reason most people get hurt is getting too relaxed. Have your glove ready and expect every single pitch to be coming at you. If you feel you like some protection, shinguards annd a Worth pitching helmet will take good care of you.

" Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest"
-Mahatma Ghandi
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Tom
Default Re: New pitcher needs safety advice

Listen to the gents ^^^. Shin guards and mask will make you more comfortable thus allow for you to excell at pitching in time. You didnt draw the shortest straw you drew the best one. Pitching is the best position on the field and if you wind up good you can play the position very well through your 60's with quality unlike IF or OF. Look into EVO shinguards and a comfortable mask. Im not hip to the helmet mask cause I dont feel anyone is that quick to turn and get hit in the back of the head.

Dont let YER' Meatloaf
AVALANCHE#50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
On The Team

I converted from SS/3B to pitching. I never want to go back.

You can really control the game with your pitches. I don’t get the same sense of satisfaction as a baseball strikeout, but getting someone to pop up/ground out exactly where you want them to is a pretty good feeling.
AVALANCHE#50, oppo and Gambler like this.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Kent

Originally Posted by AVALANCHE#50 View Post
Listen to the gents ^^^. Shin guards and mask will make you more comfortable thus allow for you to excell at pitching in time. You didnt draw the shortest straw you drew the best one. Pitching is the best position on the field and if you wind up good you can play the position very well through your 60's with quality unlike IF or OF. Look into EVO shinguards and a comfortable mask. Im not hip to the helmet mask cause I dont feel anyone is that quick to turn and get hit in the back of the head.

Dont let YER' Meatloaf
Not so sure about that last part, just gotta turn a little and get it in the temple and you're done.
tobenamedlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Star Player

Even on a straight on hit, which is better, a plastic mask or a helmet with metal and plenty of padding behind it?

" Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest"
-Mahatma Ghandi
Old 08-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
On The Team

I’d treat that just like dirt bike helmets. You may think you look cool without a helmet till you crack your skull open. You don’t skimp on protecting the face & dome.
oppo likes this.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Tom

Well...another reason I go mask over full enclosure helmet is 90 games and sometimes 4-6 in a day. I overheat enough as it is being on the constant move. That too is why I go mask. I say just man up and face the ball lol

Dont let YER' Meatloaf
AVALANCHE#50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Star Player

I prefer to man up and glove it.

-Mahatma Ghandi