Newbie Softball DiscussionZ New to SFZ? Introductions and Newbie Discussions. There is no such thing as a stupid question in this forum.

New to forum and to Slowpitch

This is a discussion on New to forum and to Slowpitch within the Newbie Softball DiscussionZ forums, part of the Softball Forum category!
Hey everybody, my name is Cole, I'm 15 and decided it would be fun and helpful to join a softball ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Cole
Default New to forum and to Slowpitch

Hey everybody, my name is Cole, I'm 15 and decided it would be fun and helpful to join a softball forum. I play second and have a decent glove, hitting is a whole different story. Coming into my first year of slowpitch I thought it would be the easiest sport to play since tee-ball. Little did I know. My timing is usually too early and I'm constantly reaching for the ball. I'm hitting about .300 (I'm into my second year) but would really like to get some tips from the more experienced players on this forum. Thank you for reading this short and corny introduction.

P.S. My dad played beer league for 18 years, and he just says plain and simply to "wait for the pitch". If somebody could give a little more elaborate answer it would be much appreciated, thank you

Goldenboy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: Ken

Get your dad or some buddies to go pitch to you at the park. Don't worry about killing the ball, focus on making good contact. Once you are consistently making solid contact, then start adding the rocket sauce to your swing. At 15, you're probably fast enough to run out most hits anyways and fast base running causes more fielding errors than hard hitting in beer leagues.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

34/30 Club

Repping gloves in NorCal
chrometip78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

Welcome to the Z!

As for hitting tips, maybe the best one Ivan give you is to remember that it is not baseball. One mistake a lot of people make is, in fact, not waiting on the ball. They see that big ol ball slowly floating towards them and they start leaning out towards it and often stepping way too early. This ruins their swing. Stand tall, tell yourself to wait, and then make yourself wind up a bit so that your first movement is not toward the ball. Hands up, arms extended, level swing. One drill I did withe wife's cousin was to use a tee and set a bucket behind it with his bag on it so that he couldn't dip the bat as he swung. Another drill you can do that also helps you learn to lead with your hands is to leave the bat on your shoulder as you swing. Also, if you are used to playing baseball, scoot back in the box some so that you will be swinging at lower pitches. Later, though, as you develop more of a softball swing, you will learn to love chest high pitches.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Cole

Thanks guys I appreciate it.
Goldenboy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Tom

Welcome dude

Don't let yer meatloaf!
AVALANCHE#50 is offline   Reply With Quote