Newbie Softball DiscussionZ New to SFZ? Introductions and Newbie Discussions. There is no such thing as a stupid question in this forum.

New to the forum and have a bat question.

This is a discussion on New to the forum and have a bat question. within the Newbie Softball DiscussionZ forums, part of the Softball Forum category!
I have played softball for a few years now and just finally gave up baseball because of school. I have ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Mike
Default New to the forum and have a bat question.

I have played softball for a few years now and just finally gave up baseball because of school. I have always been lucky enough to be able to use someones bat when playing. Now I am getting my own team together and we are trying to get into a d3 league that allows any bat that you want. If we do not end up in in that league because of it filling up we will have to move to d4 which does not allow composite bats(only wood/aluminum). The question is what bat should I get? I am looking for something that is 34" and 28-30oz. I also want it to have the new usssa stamp on it. I have been looking and I am not seeing anything that is 30oz at all. I am also playing in a usssa co ed league. I have a cheap aluminum bat right now and a Easton wood bat that I used in an indoor league. Thanks for the help.

potts213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: Ken

Demarini raw steel with 2013 stamps, very hot metal bat with a lot of endload. Good enough to hang with the composites too, you will have no problem putting some heat on the ball with it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

34/30 Club

Repping gloves in NorCal
chrometip78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah I was looking at thoes but a little out of my price range for a bat that I might only use for a 8 game league. What about wood? Worth toxic?
Old 07-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
hb2
Mod'ing aint Easy

Name: Jay

Whats the price range?
hb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

No more than 100ish!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

When you say any bat, does that mean any ASA approved bat, any USSSA approved bat, or any bat period? You could pick up a good ASA or USSSA bat for that price. You could also pick up some decent metal pretty cheap. An old Demarini Distance, Classic, or Demolition. You could get a Worth EST or Wicked, one of the Anderson's. Lots of metal that will outhit wood by a lot. Hell, my old Wicked is on the banned list for ASA and has plenty of pop. You can by a good metal bat for what a Worth Toxic wood bat will cost you.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Don't really know much about bats and all of the new rules. I just found out that I am going to be playing in a usssa league and we can only use wood/aluminum. It is just a factor of the league being crowded and not being able to get into the intermediate division(d3). Next year we will have first pick at what league we will be in because we will be a returning team. I just don't want to drop a ton of money on a bat if I am going to be buying composite next year. I also don't want to get one that is not useable under new rules next year. Thanks
Old 07-31-2012, 11:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: B

Is this going to be a team bat? If so, I would lean more towards the 28oz as it will be more manageable for more peeps. If just for you, carry on.
If you are serious about playing in the foreseeable future, and USSSA is the predominant league, then you might want to pick up a composite and then get yourself a cheaper alum/wood bat if you end up in that other league. Reason being, once you start playing, you may end up playing a tourney or get some other play time where comps are used. Either that, or continue to use others bats in comps and risk being 'that guy ' if they are a team of 'those guys'.
Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

I will be in the league with wood/aluminum for sure now. I have a cheap aluminum and wood bat now but was just looking for something better. I have like a $30 aluminum. I just dont want to break the bank buying a nice aluminum for 8 games and then turn around and get a composite in a few months.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: Ken

I have a 30oz White Steel I will ship to you for $60 if you want to give it a shot, doesn't have new stamps though. Don't waste any money on a fancy wood bat, no difference in wood.

34/30 Club

Repping gloves in NorCal
chrometip78 is offline   Reply With Quote