Newbie Softball DiscussionZ New to SFZ? Introductions and Newbie Discussions. There is no such thing as a stupid question in this forum.

Glove size for infield??

This is a discussion on Glove size for infield?? within the Newbie Softball DiscussionZ forums, part of the Softball Forum category!
I play middle infield for men's leagues and coed and I've always used my HS baseball glove, 11.25" Rawlings. I've ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Aaron
Default Glove size for infield??

I play middle infield for men's leagues and coed and I've always used my HS baseball glove, 11.25" Rawlings. I've always been very comfortable with it, but as I'm getting a little older, I've been thinking about getting a little more "forgiving" of a glove if you will.

What sizes and models do you guys use for infield? I haven't even looked at gloves for nearly 2 decades, so I am pretty clueless when it comes to what is good these days.

Thanks for your input.

Longfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

A lot of guys like little gloves for infield. They always claim they can't find the ball in a larger glove. They seem to forget that they have to field the damned thing first. I never use anything smaller than a 13" and it runs big. I used a 14" for years. Finding the ball has never been an issue.

" Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest"
-Mahatma Ghandi
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: CB

I agree 12" is the absolute smallest I would go. Right now I'm using a 12.75", but I'm breaking in a 12"
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: jimmy

Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I agree 12" is the absolute smallest I would go. Right now I'm using a 12.75", but I'm breaking in a 12"
I concur
JIMMY34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Duane

12.5 is the perfect size for me. And I like to wear most gloves with the entire heel of my hand exposed, so I probably have the reach of a 13" or larger glove.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Scott

I thought that it was better to use a smaller glove as well when I started playing infield. I started with a 12" and thought it was fine until I tried something a little bigger. I now pitch with a 12.5" and feel comfortable. I wouldn't go any bigger, but that's just me. Do whatever feels comfortable to you.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: Ken
Default Re: Glove size for infield??

I'm using a Vinci PC2443 single post12.75" for pitching, hangs on to everything. Have used an AB74 mod-trap 13" in the past and it was great, one of the most popular quality softball gloves out is the BMB H-web 13"

Sent From Greatness

34/30 Club

Repping gloves in NorCal
chrometip78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Ben

I'm back playing softball after 8-10 years off. However, I have coached Junior Varsity aged boys baseball for years. We would drill with paddles, just like the old days, with our infielders every practice. Once they were proficient with their transitions to their throwing hands glove size was kind of irrelevant. However, as most have posted I don't think you can go wrong with a 12.5" glove. I"ve had my Easton for over 15 years and it feels perfect.
"Head up, butt down and hands out" wear your cup!
Rudy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Tom
Default Re: Glove size for infield??

Our ball is twice the size of a baseball. 12.5" minimum if not 13" would be ideal for infield. Imo

Don't let yer Meatloaf!
AVALANCHE#50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Ed

I have a 13.5" that is perfect for outfield but just a tad too big for me in the infield. I still use it if I have to but I would prefer a 12.5-13". Thats just me.
"Yeah, well, Joe Pepitone or not, I own the inside of that plate! So I throw one inside, a little chin music... put him right on his pants, because I got to intimidate when I'm on the mound. Well, the next pitch, he's right back in the same place! So.... I had to plunk him."
JimmyLegs is offline   Reply With Quote