Newbie Softball DiscussionZ New to SFZ? Introductions and Newbie Discussions. There is no such thing as a stupid question in this forum.

Fu-Dawg vs. Flipper

This is a discussion on Fu-Dawg vs. Flipper within the Newbie Softball DiscussionZ forums, part of the Softball Forum category!
New to the board, had a question: I'm looking at trying to purchase my first "nice" bat, and was thinking ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Patrick
Default Fu-Dawg vs. Flipper

New to the board, had a question: I'm looking at trying to purchase my first "nice" bat, and was thinking of going DeMarini (I've never swung one and been dissatisfied). I'm looking at the Flipper and the Fu-Dawg. I'm a bigger guy, but tend to like lighter bats like a 26 or 27. I'm also more of a line drive hitter than an over-the-fence kinda guy. I played in a tournament several weeks ago and hit with a friend's 26 Flipper and loved it, have never touched the Fu-Dawg. Does anyone know anything about how these two compare to each other? They look to have similar construction, with the Fu-Dawgs being a little stiffer. Also, any other suggestions of other bats from other brands that would be comparable but cheaper? ASA certified a must.

Thanks for your insight, I appreciate it any help you can offer!

psandrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: B

From what I have heard, it depends on the ball you are hitting. 52/200 go with the Flip, 44/375 go FU. Maybe someone can verify I got the right ones (and ball numbers), but that is the difference in the 2. You know what balls you will be hitting or hitting more often?
Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Tommy

New miken triad it'll meet your 2 piece fetish don't worry I have one too, and its a little less stff than a Demarini more like a mutant
Ipull2right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

@Stork The league I'm in now has the 44/375 balls, I beleive, but I thought I heard ASA is mandating a lower compression ball next year (don't remember where I heard that), and I want a bat that will give me a lot good knocks for a couple years.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: Ken

I'd stick with the Flipper if you like how it hit. The Fu-Dawg was billed as a direct replacement for the Swagger which is a heavily end loaded bat. I'm hearing now that it does not have the end load of the Swagger which is disappointing. I haven't swung the Flipper or the Fu-Dawg.

44/375's go with a .12 or MLC, they are cheap and hit a ton
52/300's go with a Swagger if you like end load or the Flipper/Fu-Dawg if you can try them out

34/30 Club

Repping gloves in NorCal
chrometip78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Kent

Got a couple hundred hits on my 28oz Flipper now. We use the .52's, like most ASA leagues should be using by now. It has replaced my gamer 28oz ASA RD28 that was, and still is with .47's, nasty. The Flipper sounds wicked and hits the .52's better than any of my older sticks. I've got a well broken in Recoil, 1B Juggy, and the RD and they all sound like hitting a balled up sock when hitting the .52's. The Flipper though has a great crack sound after 50-75 hits and out distances my other sticks easily when using the .52's.

The Demarini guys said the Flipper was designed specifically for hitting the .52's and at first I didn't buy into it. After using it all fall, I'm a believer.
tobenamedlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
SFZ Supporting Vendor

Name: Smarkley

How do I tell what compression balls my leagues hit, they are green......
Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all your help, guys! I settled on the Flipper last night, gonna try to get in a little BP if I can before my first league game tonight with it. I'll let you know how it works out for me.

@TBNL would you say it takes about that 50-75 knocks on it to get really broken in, or does it actually need closer to that 300 mark I hear about so often?

Also, anyone know how safe it is to use these bats in a little colder weather? The disclaimer that came with the bat said to not use below 60 degrees, it's supposed to be right about 60 for my game tonight, and will inevitably get colder over the next couple of weeks. Obviously shouldn't be hitting when it's 30 or anything, but am I safe if it gets down to 50 or so without compromising the integrity of the bat? I'd hate to buy a bat, use it one night, and then have to wait around till spring time to safely use it again.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Tommy

Cold weather doesn't break bats cold balls do. My rule is I won't use my babies under 50
Slowpitchswag likes this.
Ipull2right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Kent

Originally Posted by smarkley3 View Post
How do I tell what compression balls my leagues hit, they are green......
Green = .52
tobenamedlater is offline   Reply With Quote