Newbie Softball DiscussionZ New to SFZ? Introductions and Newbie Discussions. There is no such thing as a stupid question in this forum.

easton redline sz1-c "motherload"

This is a discussion on easton redline sz1-c "motherload" within the Newbie Softball DiscussionZ forums, part of the Softball Forum category!
I recently started playing slow pitch softball. I played baseball as a kid, and now I see that hitting in ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Josh
Default easton redline sz1-c "motherload"

I recently started playing slow pitch softball. I played baseball as a kid, and now I see that hitting in softball is quite different. After a ton of batting practice I'm starting to to get more consistent with my hitting. I was never a power hitter in little league but now I am older, much stronger, and bigger. I know that base hits are very important in slow pitch, but I want to be able to mash one from time to time. So here is my dilemma. I have just been using the team bats, as everyone shares their bats. I have had my best success thus far with aluminum bats. I have tried the composites our other players have, but I just pop out with them. This weekend my buddy/teammate and I did a ton of BP, and to save his composite from wear, he found an old bat his uncle gave him and we started swinging away. Swing after swing I was destroying the ball. I couldn't believe it. With an old aluminum bat. So I googled the bat, a East on Redline sz1-c 34/28 end loaded Mother load. Come to find out they are actually pretty popular bats. I just figured it was an old "cheapy".

Here are my questions. Should I buy a used super hot composite bat or an aluminum bat similar to this one. If so what would you guys recommend. Second. Should I just continue to work on base hitting, or should I try to develop a power swing as well. Bare in mind my team only has 3 power hitters, the rest of us are all pretty much rookies. We play in a NSA league.

jdsebastian85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: Jason

For most people, a composite bat will get better results than metal. Higher exit speed and greater distance, not necessarily more hits. But, if you're killing it with the Redline, you may want to just keep using that. And work on hitting hard liners, the home runs will come.
beernbombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: Ken
Default Re: easton redline sz1-c "motherload"

Originally Posted by beernbombs View Post
For most people, a composite bat will get better results than metal. Higher exit speed and greater distance, not necessarily more hits. But, if you're killing it with the Redline, you may want to just keep using that. And work on hitting hard liners, the home runs will come.
This is about as good of an answer as you can get. Especially the last sentence.

Sent From Greatness
Dragon13 likes this.

34/30 Club

Repping gloves in NorCal
chrometip78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Leading Off

Name: Harry

The Redline was a great bat. They aren't terribly durable and they cannot hold a candle to the performance of a decent composite. It is a favorite in metal only leagues when they can be found.
harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Josh

Appreciate it. Any suggestions on a bat to select if I do get a new one. Something end loaded, in the $100-$200 range?
jdsebastian85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Name: robert

Easton L6 niw would be a good fit in that range...
bombs15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: Ken
Default Re: easton redline sz1-c "motherload"

White steel, Sunday Swagger, NRG Maxload, Recoil Maxload.

Sent From Greatness

34/30 Club

Repping gloves in NorCal
chrometip78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Leading Off

Name: Harry

Originally Posted by jdsebastian85 View Post
Appreciate it. Any suggestions on a bat to select if I do get a new one. Something end loaded, in the $100-$200 range?
I'll defer on composites. But as for metal, as mentioned, the White Steel is great if you like an end load, the Easton ST1z is a solid classic with the ST2z being close, the Raw is also good. Just my opinion.
harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Justin

The new easton L7 is a nice end loaded metal bat as well.
Dragon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: CB

Honestly in NSA. A hot composite will definitely be more beneficial with practice. To me an Easton sp12sy100 or sy100w are my favorites(got my sy100s for $100 ea). Their durablility especially against harder nsa balls is great & will absolutely destroy them. The sy100 I like to use comes as .25oz endload but at 30oz is feel like a .5 & has a good sweet spot. Which would give you that endload you like, but at the same time give you the forgiveness of a balanced bat till you get your swing more dialed in. Once you get your swing dialed in & get more consistant then the hr’s will come. “I’d” only use metal against m stamp utrip ball 44/325s in hot weather or in metal only leagues. My 2c

Also working on bat speed excercises will help & tee work will help a lot to. Unlike baseball your basically generating all of your own power. Plenty of knowledge on here take your time look around thru the different threads.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote