Newbie Softball DiscussionZ New to SFZ? Introductions and Newbie Discussions. There is no such thing as a stupid question in this forum.

bat weight

This is a discussion on bat weight within the Newbie Softball DiscussionZ forums, part of the Softball Forum category!
im looking for a new bat. im 6 foot 280. decent strength and power. im leaning toward the miken psycho ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: nick
Default bat weight

im looking for a new bat. im 6 foot 280. decent strength and power. im leaning toward the miken psycho supermax. im just not sure bout bat weight. ive only used 26 and 27 oz bats. but I was thinking of getting a 28. we use 44 375 in our league. any suggestion is welcome thanks

nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

I would think 28 would be the way to go but I also suggest trying a 28 with a heavy endload first. Ultimately, use whatever you are comfortable with.
defos likes this.

" Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest"
-Mahatma Ghandi
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Jesse

Swing the heaviest thing you can without losing any bat control.
Stork, smarkley3 and defos like this.
LSX Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Duane

I recently bought a 30 oz ASA Psycho Supermax. It doesn't feel like 30 oz to me, but even the Supermax end load isn't as much as I'm used to. Miken Maxload = .5 oz Supermax = 1 oz, so it's not all that much. Nice bat. Took 6 hits off the tee to open up. I thought it might not gain much more distance because it has a soft feel on contact, but the ball seems to be flying farther now than it was. This is my 1st composite, so I don't have much else to compare it to. I've bought 2 other Mikens since - a 28 oz 2013 Freak NXT and a 30 oz 2014/15 Geno Buck M Nation. Both are more solid feeling than the Psycho. The Freak NXT was used (100 hits). I haven't used it much, but a teammate loves it. I think the Geno Buck will eventually hit farther than the Psycho, but it's not there yet.

FYI - I'm a linedrive hitter, not a HR guy. 6' 2+", 210 lbs., 59 years old.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Thad

I would suggest trying out several weights, and go with the heaviest you can swing comfortably. Personally I swing 30oz max load bats. I do carry a 27oz in my bag for the nights I play 4 to 5 games and get sore or tired.

Last edited by Doctor Watson; 10-11-2014 at 04:30 AM.
Doctor Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Fred

Originally Posted by Doctor Watson View Post
I would suggest trying out several weights, and go with the heaviest you can swing comfortably. Personally I swing 30oz max load bats. I do carry a 27oz in my bag for the nights I play 4 to 5 games and get sore or tired.
Agree. I always used a 30 oz end load. Carry a 27 oz but very rarely use it. Just don't have the bat control with a 27 that I have with a 30.
defos likes this.
PST CLUB MEMBER #1

28.5 oz Ligit ASA HD52 Jeff Hall Reload
28 oz PST98 (BP Bat)(Actual weight 29.2 oz)(BP 22 1/4")
28 oz Worth WS23 (Actual Weight 29.8 oz)
28 oz Worth Black EST (BP 20 3/4") (Actual weight 28.8oz/BP 20 3/8")
27 oz Combat Virus Morphed (Actual wight 27.4 oz)
marlsrsoftball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Name: samuel

An interesting discussion is worth comment. I think that you should write more on this topic, it might not be a taboo subject but generally people are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers
samuelterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: CB

Grab the bat by the very end of the handle and hold it with an out stretched arm. If you hold it without shaking your good. There is not much difference in a 27oz vs 28oz bat. Your talking about a snack size candy bar weight difference.

It's all about how much bat speed you lose "after" contact. The less you lose further the ball goes. A psycho supermax is one of the heaviest bats you can buy. If you swing/like heavy endloaded bats that feel baseball bat like then your good, but it will take you a minute if your use to swinging balanced.

Also if I were you I would buy a new this year psycho. It’s suppose to have the new DC composite make up. You will only get around 700-1000 swings (depending on how you hit), but they will be ridiculous. I personally use a 30oz Supermax pyscho from last year which is also a very good bat.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Name: John

I'm 6 ft 220 and 53 years old. I swing a 26 oz Mayhem. I hit further now then when I was 25. For me it's all about bat speed.
Lowlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Fred

Originally Posted by LSX Freak View Post
Swing the heaviest thing you can without losing any bat control.
Agree. There is no one size fits all. It is different for everybody. In my case 82 and 5'10", 181 lbs and I can't swing anything but an end loaded 30 oz. I have tried over the last few years to drop down with no success.

I have a 27oz and 30oz Freak 52 and I outhit my 27oz with my 30oz by 15-20'. It was the same with my Toxics and other bats I have tried over the years.
PST CLUB MEMBER #1

28.5 oz Ligit ASA HD52 Jeff Hall Reload
28 oz PST98 (BP Bat)(Actual weight 29.2 oz)(BP 22 1/4")
28 oz Worth WS23 (Actual Weight 29.8 oz)
28 oz Worth Black EST (BP 20 3/4") (Actual weight 28.8oz/BP 20 3/8")
27 oz Combat Virus Morphed (Actual wight 27.4 oz)
marlsrsoftball is offline   Reply With Quote