General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

What To Do, What To Do

This is a discussion on What To Do, What To Do within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
Have a guy's team and a coed team that I run, both played for the league ship at the end ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By LSX Freak
  • 1 Post By oppo
  • 3 Post By Stork
  • 1 Post By smarkley3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: Ken
Default What To Do, What To Do

Have a guy's team and a coed team that I run, both played for the league ship at the end of the season and both went down hard. Both lost do to emotional weakness the way I see it, we had beaten both teams handily during the season and we folded like a cheap suit once they put up a few runs. Each team won a ship last year, went through a rebuilding period and had a talented roster for this season but didn't get it done.

Wondering what your experience has been with building a competitive team and whether you felt it was worth it to keep it going, start fresh, or just play on someone else's team and have fun? I do like playing competitively and formed the men's team to have a tournament team at the ready but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. I'm enjoying the other teams I play on even though they are in lower divisions, just not sure they'll be enough competition if that's all I have.

Sent From Greatness

34/30 Club

Repping gloves in NorCal
chrometip78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Jesse

Running a team is a ton of headache. The awkwardness of telling people they can't play, the hassle of finding players that will commit, collecting money, blah blah blah. I'm going to run a team next year and have it be a tournament team too and it's gonna be my way or the highway. We'll see how it goes.
oppo and chrometip78 like this.
LSX Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Gern

Throughout the year, I run 2 coed teams and one mens team. I've found playing on my own teams is better, mens is easier to run but it's better to just build them up and work on getting them better than playing on someone elses team, at least from my experience. yeah, usual headaches of course, but I played on another team earlier this year and most of the people on the team were teh unfriendliest batch of folks I've ever played with, just soured me on playing on teams with mostly people I don't know.
Chimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

Running a team is more satisfying but is a headache. I was running men's teams, a coed team, and a tournament team. I run zero teams now although I already new nearly all the guys I am playing with now and several of my guys came with me. I have much less stress and no bums digging in my pockets.
chrometip78 likes this.

" Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest"
-Mahatma Ghandi
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: B

When you are running a team, it makes it harder to leave. But if you have the talent, then try to work on the mental block. If you can get the team through that, then there may be no stopping you.
Are there any leader-types other than you?(I am assuming you are?) I would get those that may have the quality and work to try and have them help you out. Nothing over the top rah rah shit, just encouragement to thwart anything that allows them to start getting down on themselves. If they are too weak for that, maybe they aren't champ caliber. You won't find it out in a game, but you can find it out in a 10-game season. Guess then it depends on what you really need to do personally. But I have seen teams like this overcome that hurdle and they turned into formidable opponents consistently.

Personally, when I became unafraid to lose, I actually got better. I stopped pressing so much in the big games and just played and let the chips fall where they may. Don't mistake this for being totally ok with losing, but it isn't the end of the world.
oppo, defos and LSX Freak like this.
Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Duane

I have maybe the best of both. I'm on 2 teams that are really 1 team.

I run a team that plays early on Sundays. Best bunch of guys possible to manage. They show up every week or let me know ahead if they won't be there. Most of us have been playing together 4 -5 years, some even more. We went 8-4 in our league, and didn't hit at all. Probably the lowest scoring slow pitch team anywhere. We can hit well, just didn't this year. This team feeds off each other more than any team I've been on. It's either feast or famine.

The SS and 2nd baseman from that team run a team that plays later on Sundays. The 2 teams were essentially the same team this past year, and will be next year. 9 of us from the early team - the entire infield, including P, C, & EH, and 2 outfielders played full time for the 2nd team. This team went 11-3 in league. Overall competition was about the same. Most of us hit for almost twice the average as we did in the early league. I know I did, but none of us can figure out why. It most definitely was not the difference in management! The lineups the 2nd baseman put together made no sense at all at times, and that's not just my opinion. It's also why he won't be coaching next year.

SS wants to get more competitive next year & put more emphasis on winning - join another league besides what we're doing now, and possibly play some tournaments. The pitcher will coach next year instead of 2nd baseman (good move). It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

In years past, I've felt like managing adversely affected my play with the distractions of wondering if 10 guys will show, and making the lineup. No time to mentally prepare to play. Yeah, I know it's slow pitch, but you still need to focus. It's satisfying to see a team that you put together grow and succeed, but I'm more relaxed and ready to play when I can just show up and play.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
SFZ Supporting Vendor

Name: Smarkley

Originally Posted by chrometip78 View Post
Have a guy's team and a coed team that I run, both played for the league ship at the end of the season and both went down hard. Both lost do to emotional weakness the way I see it, we had beaten both teams handily during the season and we folded like a cheap suit once they put up a few runs. Each team won a ship last year, went through a rebuilding period and had a talented roster for this season but didn't get it done.

Wondering what your experience has been with building a competitive team and whether you felt it was worth it to keep it going, start fresh, or just play on someone else's team and have fun? I do like playing competitively and formed the men's team to have a tournament team at the ready but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. I'm enjoying the other teams I play on even though they are in lower divisions, just not sure they'll be enough competition if that's all I have.

Sent From Greatness
Originally Posted by LSX Freak View Post
Running a team is a ton of headache. The awkwardness of telling people they can't play, the hassle of finding players that will commit, collecting money, blah blah blah. I'm going to run a team next year and have it be a tournament team too and it's gonna be my way or the highway. We'll see how it goes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOTMw0o1ELM

Coaching sucks....
chrometip78 likes this.