General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Universe - moving on....

This is a discussion on Universe - moving on.... within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
Guys - Happy New Year and sorry in advance if this drags on. Most of you could care less... Happy ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
On The Team

Default Universe - moving on....

Guys - Happy New Year and sorry in advance if this drags on. Most of you could care less... Happy to get knocked after this, and man enough to step up on the board and post the truth so we can put an end to any un-truths out there.

* The fact is that Universe as it was constructed is no longer together. Despite 5+ years of rediculous success including C and D Sate titles in Usssa and Nsa, an NIT championship or more every year, a couple top 5 National finishes and about 40+ Tournament Championships. Easily among the most succesful N-East team over past years...

* The most important thing to realize is I wanted the team to stay together, but when i realized the obstacles had become too big, decided not to fight the change. The 5 reason the team is no longer together are very simple:

1. despite continually beating most every team in New England, the team was made up of mostly old and fat 40+ year olds whose careers are winding down and could no longer make the full time commitment. The team needed to rely more and more on add-ons like Colby, and others who were big helps but lacked the relationships on the team to really stick it out for long haul. We were having to always add and fighting frozen rosters and was becoming too much. Too play this year would have required minimum 4-5 new full time players at least.

2. Universe was not a sponsored team as of last 2-3 years. We raised funds and chipped in from pocket. Thats a tough task to continue to build and add new guys when you need to then ask them for $. Too many selfish softball people out there. And we always existed on equal commitments for $ and dedication. Without the funds was going to be tough to add the (talented new) players we needed - whether young kids without the $, or vets from broken down C teams that need it all paid for, we were unwilling to go that route. those who know us, know we were only 7-8 core guys only and everyone else was spot duty players. no money makes it tough to compete for talent. too many guys would rather a free ride and suck then pay $300 and win 7-10 tournaments.

3. Horrible World Results. 0-2 in back to back Worlds. Granted missing key starters but I dont care. Our team plays or played to win... period. when you go 0-2 at worlds you had a bad season. i dont care how many states or nit's you win prior.

4. simply some of its crucial core players no longer got along, or respected each other enough to enjoy the off field time together. Personal problems and conflicts have got in the way. If its not fun for everyone and if everyone isnt pulling the same direction, its tough to win.
and
5. I may need spinal surgery. My next visit with my neuro surgeon is in late Jan. My fear was not being able to play anymore (which is still very possible) and still being counted on to run the team If I cant play I dont think I would/ could put the time, money and dedication the team demanded to be what we were. So I dont want to have that possibility hang over us.

* I greatly appreciated and respected everyone that played and battled. at least those who stuck it out over the years or the decency to thank me or the team for the chance. And we battled over the years. There are some very good ballplayers and talents available now on the free agent market. My goal is too try to get as many of them to stick together as possible and there's a very good chance that will happen (but the core and the peronalities and the things that made Universe what it was, unfortunately has moved on). With any luck we'll all still play in some leagues and occasional tourney's together. Otherwise the reasons above was simply too much this time around to get past.

Regardless - God Willing.... I'll see each you all in Branford very soon! Happy New Year.

GBEN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Jeff

Originally Posted by GBEN2
5. I may need spinal surgery. My next visit with my neuro surgeon is in late Jan. My fear was not being able to play anymore (which is still very possible) and still being counted on to run the team If I cant play I dont think I would/ could put the time, money and dedication the team demanded to be what we were. So I dont want to have that possibility hang over us.

Finally getting a backbone?

Call me you dick
jeff Mets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Nate

Benny you better be able to play. It wont be the same without seeing you aroudn the plex
n8ss03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
On The Team

Very funny Jeff. In fact first time I heard that one, so for now very good.
Nate - If you think I drank a lot when I was playing,,, immagine the craziness if i'm up there just sitting around watching! I'll need another job to pay that short fat bastard at the beer stand for my $5 titanium beers all day.
GBEN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
SFZ Addict

Name: Kris

I blame this all on Colby and Cuse........
Old 12-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Leading Off

Originally Posted by Gags
I heard Jackpot's contract demands pushed the team into Bolivian.
I hate you with a deep and total hatred that surpasses all hate that has ever been or ever will be.
STINGOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
1st Place Bruins

Originally Posted by Gags
Where is Cuse?
DaveTBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Ken

I think they just had too many old fat guys. When Max is the fastest guy on the team, it may be time to disband.
KennyH123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Leading Off

That sounds so much like TNT right there.

Benny, how many beers at lunch today?
Milo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Nate

well you know if his back is bothering him he got some good pills too.
n8ss03 is offline   Reply With Quote