General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Triple Play

This is a discussion on Triple Play within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
So I made my first triple play last night. My situation was, bases loaded, ball to 1st base, I catch ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2007, 10:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Jeff
Default Triple Play

So I made my first triple play last night. My situation was, bases loaded, ball to 1st base, I catch it, tag guy going to 2nd, touch 1st base, throw home, guy was out by 6 feet.

Wondering how many of you guys have been involved in a triple play, or even worse, have you ever hit into one?

Shine 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Leading Off

Originally Posted by Shine 52
So I made my first triple play last night. My situation was, bases loaded, ball to 1st base, I catch it, tag guy going to 2nd, touch 1st base, throw home, guy was out by 6 feet.

Wondering how many of you guys have been involved in a triple play, or even worse, have you ever hit into one?
I presume you meant you fielded the ball, because if you caught it, that's one out right there, and then when you tagged the guy going to 2nd, it removed any reason to step on first (plus no one would be heading home probably).

But that's still pretty damn cool.
DavidK44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Leading Off

Name: Mike

We had a guy that hit into 4, yes 4 in one year. Obviously he is no longer playing for us.

Anytime he had more than one guy on, the entire bench would start hollering things about the positives of striking out looking.
binger19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
On The Team

i did the same thing in thursday league in branford against NHFH, bottom of the 7th inning we were up 2 runs guy on first and third and the big lefty vinny was up, i moved even with the bag and he hit a ground ball to me that i fielded and touched the guy running then touched the bag then threw a strike to the plate and got the runner out to end the game. it was the best play i ever made
bigvin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Red Shirt Freshman

Name: Max

We did one of those broken ones to end a game in a local tourney against a very good team. We got a traditional DP through the middle IF's and then threw to the plate for the 3rd out.

On the other side, one of the fastest guys I've ever played with or against hit into one when he was on my team. He hit a hard ground ball to SS near the bag with a man on 1st and 2nd. Tag, step, and throw and the inning was over. Bye bye, rally!

Congrats, Shine. I think that weekend over at the hot corner got you ready to make this play.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Place Bruins

I've never seen a triple play on the softball field. One of these days I will.
DaveTBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Max Johnson
We did one of those broken ones to end a game in a local tourney against a very good team. We got a traditional DP through the middle IF's and then threw to the plate for the 3rd out.

On the other side, one of the fastest guys I've ever played with or against hit into one when he was on my team. He hit a hard ground ball to SS near the bag with a man on 1st and 2nd. Tag, step, and throw and the inning was over. Bye bye, rally!

Congrats, Shine. I think that weekend over at the hot corner got you ready to make this play.
A guy on my glastonbury team hit into one the same exact way. Hard one-hop to the SS, tag the guy going to third, step on 2B and he was out at first by a good 5 feet. Nothing kills a rally like a triple play!!!
AndyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Leading Off

Name: Harry

Had one for and one against us this year on the Moose Team. I won't get into the one against us, it was stupid base running.

The one we turned went like this. Man on first and second. Ground ball to short who turns the 6-4-3 dp, the guy on second makes a wide turn at third. Our first baseman was heads up and threw to me at third and I slap the tag on for the third out. Sweet.
harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

I've had 5 over the last 10 years, all the same way
Played even at third ,Ground ball step on 3rd then to 2nd -1st.
2 of them in the same game. Milo was there for at least one of them...
roller17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

My team has hit into triple plays at each of the last two D Worlds.

In Orlando, runners on first and third, guy hits a ground ball to third base, around the horn for two, runner on third falls down half way to home and gets tripled up.

In Kansas City last year we’re playing the Gigolos from Maryland. It’s Friday night at the main complex and a ton of people are watching our game because of the Gigolos reputation for showmanship. They do all these routines during the game. Pitcher sits on the mound Indian style and throws a strike. New pitcher comes in, starts from second base, does The Worm up to the rubber, gets up and throws a strike. The entire infield starts dancing in unison, singing “My Girl” between pitches. Stuff like that. We hit a couple of long home runs for outs and the crowd starts chanting “HGH, HGH!!!.” Just a wild, fun circus kind of atmosphere. Bottom of the fifth, we’re up 18-4, needing one run for the run rule. The guy who hit into the triple play in Orlando leads off with a double. Next guy is walked intentionally. Now the shortstop starts jumping up and down, chanting “hit it to me and I’ll get you three!” He said it at least three times. I was coaching third so I heard it very plainly. The guys in our dugout could make out the gist of it, but it was too loud at the plate with the people screaming and yelling right behind the fence so the hitter was oblivious to what he was saying. The shortstop was literally playing right next to the bag, perfectly positioned at triple play depth for the inevitable hard ground ball back up the middle. Tag the runner, step on two and fire to first for the easiest triple play you’ll ever see to avoid the run rule.

We lost the game in Orlando, but won this one. There’s a guy on our team who’s told the KC triple play story to just about anyone who’ll listen at every single tournament we’ve been to this summer. It just never gets old, except for the guy who grounded into it.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote