General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Thoughts on Worlds???

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Worlds??? within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
Most of us are done with our end of year championship experiences. How did you all fare (you personally or ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Red Shirt Freshman

Name: Max
Default Thoughts on Worlds???

Most of us are done with our end of year championship experiences. How did you all fare (you personally or your teams)? Better than expected? Worse? Anything surprise you or piss you off at your tourney? Thoughts???

Old 09-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: Colby

Well, we DJM went 0-2 and was very dissapointed in our performance. Nothing 2 really complane about except our performance. I won't have 2 deal with this next year as I will be playing back in the C's with our newly developed Creative team.

Premier/Easton #10
creative10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Nate

Originally Posted by creative 10
Well, we DJM went 0-2 and was very dissapointed in our performance. Nothing 2 really complane about except our performance. I won't have 2 deal with this next year as I will be playing back in the C's with our newly developed Creative team.
is that rumor or fact colby
n8ss03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Red Shirt Freshman

Name: Max

I watched more major innings at the stadium than I did Class D innings on the other fields (my team included unfortunately) and felt that too many guys were going for HR's too frequently when they would need to hit it perfectly to get it out of that ballpark. Just because you can get it when you hit it just right doesn't mean it's a good idea to go for it all the time. Lots of weaker popups as guys hitched trying to muscle up for a big bomb.

Also noticed that teams played the 5 man but some teams switched defenses when batters switched sides. They didn't just switch sides for the middle man the way you do in C/D but rather swapped their entire infield to keep their 3 best guys on the pull side of the field. You'd think you would leave your best middle inf to himself on the oppo side in 5 man figuring he covers one side while the better guys man get help on the side with 3 men on it. Not the case. They were leaving the chubby guy at SS with only the weaker corner IF on that side when lefties were up. I think I saw two guys go oppo over the span of a few games so nobody decided to challenge that strategy. Better to keep the ego strong than to drop the ego down a peg and hit a few singles (doubles when you consider how far back the OFs are) the opposite way.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Jeff

*All you need is a jersey # and a first name and you can play in the USSSA Worlds. Pretty funny.

*This years C Worlds were markedly better then last years. I watched a bit of softball, and I think the talent across the board at this tourny was a lot better. I think having it in Michigan effects this because all those teams from that part of the country go there. Ohio, MI, and the surrounding states have some very good softball. I think most people would agree that Cabbyshack and MFP are the 2 best teams from our area. I would have imagined Cabby would have finished right around where MFP did. Pretty tough comp, all the way around.

*Lot of funny bats.......

*We sucked....

*The Northeast has wayyyy to many teams competing at, and doing well at, the lower levels of softball. We are not sending enough quality teams to the B's and C's. I won't get in to the whole dropping down/sandbagging thing, but the finishes in class, especially in the D/E levels pretty much can confirm that as a collective group, the Northeast is pretty lame.

*We sucked, plain and simple. It doesn't mean you move to D, cause we want to win, but sometimes you suck, sometimes you don't. It sucks to suck...

*I hope we didn't blow it for All State. We(like 5/6 of us) were drunk as fuck for the afternoon game when they played Mobil 1. Everything was going well till Mobil 1 decided to drop a 14 spot in the 6th inning....

*By my conclusions, should be like 8 E moveup teams, Eldridge, Best Oil, Denelex, RAC, Darkside, JAFO should all be moveups to C. MFP and quite possibly All State will be forced to B. Wonder what happens w/ that scenario....

*Saw some really good softball players this weekend too. I'm much more impressed w/ the hitters who do what they want when they want to. For instance, the leadoff hitter who played against us in our 2nd game more or less beat us single handidly. He had a 2b, 3b, a grand slam in the 6th to put them up 5, made 3 diving catches in CF, and threw 2 runners out, one at 3rd, and one at 2nd. Game over....
Shine 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Originally Posted by n8ss03
is that rumor or fact colby
Creative will be back in the C's next year. We would of been playing this year but we lost 6 guys very abrubtly and it was 2 much 2 late 4 Cisco 2 deal with.

Premier/Easton #10
Old 09-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Star Player

Creative will be back in the C's next year. We would of been playing this year but we lost 6 guys very abrubtly and it was 2 much 2 late 4 Cisco 2 deal with.
Bagger....I heard Universe lost cause you bailed.....

Hmmm, now that I think of it.....MFP auto bump.....Creative....2007......deja vu..... Tell Cisco to come down for the CT Closer w/ some form of team....
Old 09-22-2008, 08:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Originally Posted by Shine 52
Bagger....I heard Universe lost cause you bailed.....

Hmmm, now that I think of it.....MFP auto bump.....Creative....2007......deja vu..... Tell Cisco to come down for the CT Closer w/ some form of team....
If I played with Universe then we would of scored 5 total runs.LOL Shine when is the CT closer and is it sanctioned?

Premier/Easton #10
Old 09-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Star Player

If I played with Universe then we would of scored 5 total runs.LOL Shine when is the CT closer and is it sanctioned?
10/18, USSSA sanctioned, probably not roster specific, not sure though. Scott will post soon I'm sure.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Mike

~I was really disheartened at the extent of the use of cheater bats. Something really has to be done as it is so obvious and ridiculous. Against Mobile One from Michigan , Shine and his guys and the Northeast Buzz/Allied team were loud and vocal about the grenade launchers they were using. The home plate Ump from Michigan told us after the game that he knows they use them but there is nothing they can do because it cannot be proven.

~I love playing in Michigan. Great complex and cool bar in the middle where you can run up a big bar tab in a hurry if you are not careful....See HVMS/WORTH as example A

~Umpires were very very good even though a call in Mobile one game was horseshit. They ruled our runner left early tagging from first base on a ball to right field and that call totally changed the momentum.

~Alot of dumb people in Michigan. Dont like to stereotype but really cant put it any nicer. Just trying to get a coffee at D and D in the morning is torture.

~California team that laid a beating on MFP was unreal and I thought they may take it out of losers bracket but fell short. MFP just ran into a buzz saw that was going to beat anyone at that moment.

~Met some cool guys but I thought there were more dicks on teams from outside our area than usual . Michigan has a huge advantage with tourney location as the crowds get pretty big (and intoxicated) as the day goes on.

~Take a look at the roster of the team Wood Llaw we beat in 2nd round...
http://www.usssa.com/sports/viewteam...teamid=1123437
A players, Majors, etc. They got protested later for an illegal player from a frozen team and were bounced. Their pitcher played on Laservision last year and was excellent and a good dude.

~No team will ever win the C worlds swinging all legit bats in the climate we are now in.
Firm is offline   Reply With Quote