General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Stealing

This is a discussion on Stealing within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
What do you guys think of the stealing rule in ISA and ASA and why? I Had 3 straight steals ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2007, 10:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Leading Off

Default Stealing

What do you guys think of the stealing rule in ISA and ASA and why? I Had 3 straight steals today including 2 at home which pretty much sealed the win in our league game. I love it because I don't catch and I have speed. I think if your going to play competitive softball your catcher should be able to catch and throw

Old 05-06-2007, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Leading Off

Originally Posted by cuse6189
What do you guys think of the stealing rule in ISA and ASA and why? I Had 3 straight steals today including 2 at home which pretty much sealed the win in our league game. I love it because I don't catch and I have speed. I think if your going to play competitive softball your catcher should be able to catch and throw
I think it's a rule that should only be for tournaments...no reason for it to be in league play unless you're talking serious high end leagues.

But for tournaments it's good; forces the catcher to pay attention and also prevents a team from putting a bomb dropping but complete liability defensively at C.
DavidK44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
SFZ Legend

Name: sparky
Default ya...

Originally Posted by cuse6189

you left early on two of them...damn umps!!!!

"it's all about ME!!!"
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Leading Off

nope the catchers never pay attention and I'm about 2/5 down the line when they throw it back to the pitcher. Our ASA league is sanctioned thats why stealing is used
Old 05-06-2007, 10:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Jeff

I think it is a non-factor at a higher level of softball.
Shine 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Red Shirt Freshman

Name: Max

It's stupid. My thoughts.

Basically, umps can't ever call 3 feet from release right. They frequently get the 'left early' call wrong (don't bother checking or don't have the balls to call it). Now you're going to give them something else to try to keep track of and something that requires them to look in two places at once? Not only that but you want to increase high risk plays of infielders, runners, and a ball all arriving at the bag at the same time...broken legs waiting to happen. Awful rule.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
1st Place Bruins

I would like to try playing with stealing. I think I'd be fast enough to swipe a few bases. It would be interesting.

But I think it is a dumb rule for slow pitch. Most umps aren't the brightest and it just wouldn't be a good thing for rec leagues at the very least.
DaveTBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Leading Off

Originally Posted by Shine 52
I think it is a non-factor at a higher level of softball.
I agree thats why I like it
Old 05-07-2007, 12:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Jeff

Originally Posted by Max Johnson
It's stupid. My thoughts.

Basically, umps can't ever call 3 feet from release right. They frequently get the 'left early' call wrong (don't bother checking or don't have the balls to call it). Now you're going to give them something else to try to keep track of and something that requires them to look in two places at once? Not only that but you want to increase high risk plays of infielders, runners, and a ball all arriving at the bag at the same time...broken legs waiting to happen. Awful rule.
Could we possibly agree on something. It adds a whole bunch of situations that don't need to be there. If you want to steal, play baseball. At the ASA C National last year, I can't remember 3 times that a player advanced because of the steal rule in our games or those that I watched. Not sure about ISA and other ASA events, but in the the CT state tourny and the Nationals, stealing was a non-factor.
Shine 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Red Shirt Freshman

Name: Max

But the potential is still there which is annoying enough. You're also going to have catchers with weaker arms attempt to make up for that by coming up early to get the ball when the guys steal and they're going to get smashed in the back of the head by the batter. Now we need the pitchers to have armor on so ******s can swing overly high powered bats that are also altered and the catchers have to wear a helmet so frustrated baseball players can steal bases. The want to do everything they can to help the little guy and make the big guy obsolete. We already have strike zones in utrip that force taller guys to hit golf shots in order to succeed. I think Mini-Me is secretly behind the scenes running all of the softball associations.