General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

slow pitch slider

This is a discussion on slow pitch slider within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
the value of the bullseye ball can not be overstated... if you don't make one... you can't see or fix ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

Name: Willy

the value of the bullseye ball can not be overstated... if you don't make one... you can't see or fix what's wrong... don't waste any time trying to figure this out without one... with a bullseye on both sides... make sure your catcher knows what to look for as well... and have them give you an idea with their hands how much curve you get with each pitch...

and keep in mind... here in southern california we play year round... we have a spring season... but it merely follows the winter season... not the winter off-season... since i introduced this during the off season for most players... that might be why there is a lack of response to this thread... make no mistake... this pitch is for real... but it may take some work... don't give up too easily... as i've said... it's a finesse pitch... figuring the grip and release that works for you might take some work... but it will be worth it... if you want to be the kind of pitcher that makes it as difficult as possible on the hitters...

now ask yourself... how hard would it be to turn this pitch into a dropball? if you orient the spin in the direction of movement, the magnus force would be down... i'm just starting to look into that possibility... maybe i will have more on that later...

perhaps the lack of responses doesn't reflect the number of people trying this or planning to try it... if you do try and find success... at least let me know... thanks...

Last edited by WiLD; 04-29-2017 at 03:17 PM.
WiLD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #12 (permalink)

And here's something new to consider... the wind.

Something I realized a couple of days ago after holding another clinic is how the wind affects this pitch… since it’s slow pitch, and the air flow around the ball is critical, any wind can affect what happens. I first started throwing it with a slight wind blowing out to right/center. Since I was releasing the pitch with my hand behind the ball rather than on the side, the wind compensated for my lack of the appropriate angle.

One reason I hadn’t considered this before is the fields I’ve played on the past 15 years don’t have much wind ever. That doesn’t change the fact it can screw with this pitch. If you pitch on fields that have wind, then you'll definitely need to compensate for it.

How then do you compensate?

Let me start by saying any wind blowing in will negate this effect to some degree. I’m not sure there’s anything you can do about it, but I assume there will be varying degrees of adverse effect so I also have to assume there will be varying degrees of how much you can do to get some slide. The good news is when the wind’s blowing in that’s already to your advantage in most cases.

If the wind is blowing out, then we have fun. If it’s blowing out to center then just throw the normal slider and the wind will enhance it. As the wind direction moves toward right center all you have to do is change the angle of your wrist. In other words… if the wind is blowing out about 5 degrees from dead center towards right… the all you do is flatten the angle of your wrist out on release by about 3 degrees from normal. This is a fact I have experience with so I know it’s true. The combination of the wind and the forward momentum of the ball determines the direction the air flows. All you have to do is find out which angle you need to take advantage of the wind and that’s best done by trial and error. Within 5 or 6 pitches you should be able to figure out what angle to use

This next part is mostly speculation. If the wind is to the left side of center, the more you may have to turn your wrist in to get a slide. It’s also a good time to know how to throw a back door slider… which I will explain in the near future.

If you have a cross wind from either side, then i suggest using a 2 seam backspin pitch which works well especially if you can get the right orientation of the spin to the airflow. And of course you have to work with the grip to get the stable bullseye on the side the wind is coming from. This pitch definitely slides if you get it oriented correctly. In that same tourney where I got the 4 foot slide, the field next to it had the wind blowing out to left center and I was getting a 1 - 2 foot backdoor slide there. I now know it was because a 2 seam backspin pitch has a relatively stable smooth spot and the wind direction made the air pass over the ball at the right angle to get this slide. So once again, all you have to do is find the angle you have to release the ball in order to get the airflow around the ball correctly oriented.

I have a feeling a video is in order for this. Explanations seem to be far less than is needed.
pmack18 likes this.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Name: Paul

The wind does indeed help a pitcher out at times, especially if it's gusting from time to time. Certain pitches I have, I know will be useless in a heavy wind, but others you can take advantage of the extra hook or spin the wind provides at times against better hitters to throw them off balance.

We have our playoffs tomorrow evening, and sadly, not much wind is to be expected...only humidity & uncomfortable stickiness, ugh...should be fun.
WiLD likes this.
pmack18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

welll paul... you don't need the wind to throw this pitch... but it will affect it... have you made a bullseye ball yet?

we have playoffs tomorrow too...

Last edited by WiLD; 06-13-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

i just realized i left one thing out here... it's a pinky tuck... i found it changes the orientation of the spin downwards so i get the late break... i'm not sure why it works but it would seem it just changes where i have pressure on the side of the ball... but it does work and a couple of other people have told me they get better results doing this too...

http://imgur.com/gallery/ZBe4W

Last edited by WiLD; 06-16-2017 at 03:05 AM.

Tags
curve, magnus force, slider, slowpitch curveball, slowpitch slider