General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

slow pitch slider

This is a discussion on slow pitch slider within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
for those of you with a nice curveball who don't know why it curves... this video should be of some ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Willy
Cool slow pitch slider

for those of you with a nice curveball who don't know why it curves... this video should be of some interest to you... it explains another way to induce the magnus force other than high rpm's to create the high and low pressure areas around the ball... watch the whole thing but pay close attention to the baseball segment... i also have some pictures explaining my slider and how to train to get it right...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-3jnOIJg4k

SLOWPITCH SLIDER... *BULLSEYE AND ORIENTATION AND GRIP - Album on Imgur

WiLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

i held a clinic on sunday and had 6 pitchers show up to learn this slider... one of them picked it up almost immediately... 2 others about 5 minutes later... and the other 3 threw a few sliders but had trouble with getting any consistency...

the 3 that got it fast have similar deliveries to mine so they were able to use my technique right out of the box... the other 3 had completely dissimilar deliveries from me so they will need to figure out what they need to do to make it work with their approach... or change to mine...

in any case... i have some pictures of the bullseye as it evolved with the 5th one being the one i've finally decided is best...

my suggestion, if you want to learn this, or perhaps improve on what you have now... is to get a ball and draw a bullseye on it like the 5th picture here... and the catcher should see the 6th picture if it's thrown correctly... if the catcher says your bullseye is wobbling, then try a hand adjustment on the ball...

if the orientation is off... then try turning your hand to line it up better... i suggest holding the bullseye up in front of you and lining the part between the dot and the seam with the catcher... that means the seam will be on the left side and the smooth spot on the right... with the catchers view being the opposite... after lining it up... you should lock your wrist and elbow and use a big back swing and as little muscle as possible... but locking your wrist and elbow seem imporatnt to consistency... no wrist snap...

this approach makes it much easier for the catcher to give feedback on what's happening... good luck if you are trying to learn this...

THE BULLSEYE : different approaches used - Album on Imgur

Last edited by WiLD; 12-20-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

ok... since i have no feedback at all... and i don't even know if anyone is trying this... i will not be posting anymore except to address comments or questions... so good luck if you're trying to figure this out... if you find you need help... feel free to ask...

i'm totally surprised by the lack of comments here...
Old 01-25-2017, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

ok... i've realized you can put the bullseye on the other side of the ball so the pitcher [you] can see it... however... it isn't lined up exactly on the horseshoe seam... here's a picture of how it should be made so it gives you an acurate picture of what's happening without relying on input from the catcher... refer to the other pictures in my first post for what you should see since it's the same as what the catcher would see... a stable bullseye and the outer ring offset to the left a little...

also... obviously... you should hold the ball so the bullseye is located where your pinky is...

i use a standard roll of masking tape or duct tape to make the outer ring... it's the perfect size... try to make it exactly opposite of where the other ring would be for the catcher... i will add that i think the center bullseye is not needed... just the outer ring... but it may help visually from a distance...

Last edited by WiLD; 01-25-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Paul

Thank you for the advice! This is something I'll have to try for the upcoming spring season.
pmack18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

you're welcome... hopefully i will have a video soon... my first attempt didn't turn out too well...
Old 03-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

here's a short video showing my delivery... how i hold and deliver the ball... and hopefully a video that shows the curve... i'll let you decide...

https://youtu.be/nYMNYZS7EoM
Old 04-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

here's another short video intended to give a better idea of the grips and release for this slider... in case the pictures haven't been enough...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_hJ...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-25-2017, 02:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Paul

Very cool! Thank you again for the much needed advice & tips.
pmack18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

you're welcome paul... good luck and let me know how it's coming along...

Tags
curve, magnus force, slider, slowpitch curveball, slowpitch slider