Softball Forum - Slow Pitch Softball Forums > Softball Forums > General Slowpitch Softball Forum » Should ABA eliminate awards for "D" teams and players?

General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Should ABA eliminate awards for "D" teams and players?

This is a discussion on Should ABA eliminate awards for "D" teams and players? within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
One of my ideas when at ABA was to make it so that "D" teams did not have playoffs, could ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

View Poll Results: Should ABA eliminate playoffs and awards for "D" teams?
Yes, awards should not be given at the lowest level. 4 16.00%
Eliminate the playoffs, but the 1st place team should get a trophy at the end of the season 1 4.00%
Keep things the same, there is nothing wrong with the system as is 8 32.00%
The system needs to be changed, but taking away playoffs is not the right idea 10 40.00%
I don't like any of these choices, I have some ideas of my own (please post ideas below) 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Name: Tom
Default Should ABA eliminate awards for "D" teams and players?

One of my ideas when at ABA was to make it so that "D" teams did not have playoffs, could not play tourneys and were not eligible for post season awards (Yes, I know I played a part in giving LI Lost Boyz a T.o.Y. award as a D team, but still).

My reasoning was to try to encourage people to move up after one season at D.

It's impossible and unfair to rate players individually and say they cannot play a certain level. I mean, if you put 10 guys like me and one Charlie Baumgartner on a team, that's probably a D team competitively .. but people would still rag on Charlie for playing D.

So my thinking was, give FULL teams more of an incentive to move up, this way we could potentially force the moevs up rather than down and have a legit A, B and C division.

But that idea was shot down, several teams, because it was considered "too radical" and would scare off teams.

I know of a few teams that specifically asked me to create a lower division than "D" because they couldn't even compete at the "D" level, but I couldn't bring myself to continue adding letters.

Anyway, my point is, am I crazy, or do you think that is a viable idea?

Tom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Coed Connoisseur

Name: Tim

Here's my opinion.

Whether to eliminate awards, I don't know. I know from personal experience, that especially after seeing the level of play yesterday in "D", oWe mens next year will be signing up in "D" at least for one summer.

There will always be sandbagging, but maybe the lack of awards, trophies, etc, would entice teams to move to "C". What's the point of playing a full season of softball, especially Summer Ball, if there is no playoffs at the end of the tunnel, or a free t-shirt lol, or a trophy.

I like trophies, and t-shirts I can't fit in.

My GTG List: BPierce208, Singh, BS25

Originally Posted by Joanie20 View Post
you're a stud timmy.
Big Daddy 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: jimmy

I like the no awards option but after seeing Tim's post a little something would be nice...maybe playoffs but no eligibility for tourney's and/or season ending awards...no Turkey Shootout or Diamond Cup for D teams...then give them a few bucks towards the C division the following year as an incentive to move up...

Teams do pay money to play fall ball with no playoffs or awards so it's not that far fetched...

JIMMY34
JIMMY34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: P.J.

Tom, I think it's a good starting point for discussion, but wouldn't that just turn the C level into a mix of legit C teams, better teams playing down, and really crappy teams playing "up" so that they can have a chance at playoffs, awards, etc.?

As long as the teams themselves determine where they register and play, I don't see the issues getting resolved.

I know it would never happen, but along the same lines, one way to regulate teams playing in the proper divisions at least a little bit would be to have new teams play that type of a non-playoff, non-award division, like a mini-season, so the league can determine where they should be placed. But again, I can't see that ever happening.
gib51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Originally Posted by JIMMY34 View Post
I like the no awards option but after seeing Tim's post a little something would be nice...maybe playoffs but no eligibility for tourney's and/or season ending awards...no Turkey Shootout or Diamond Cup for D teams...then give them a few bucks towards the C division the following year as an incentive to move up...

Teams do pay money to play fall ball with no playoffs or awards so it's not that far fetched...

JIMMY34
Well, my initial idea was to make it so that the team finishing first at the end of the regular season would get a trophy (no shirts).
Old 11-24-2008, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: jimmy

Originally Posted by Tom29 View Post
Well, my initial idea was to make it so that the team finishing first at the end of the regular season would get a trophy (no shirts).
Yea...that seems fair and then like I said maybe $100 league credit to move UP instead of shirts...

JIMMY34
JIMMY34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: Brian

One of my ideas when at ABA was to make it so that "D" teams did not have playoffs, could not play tourneys and were not eligible for post season awards (Yes, I know I played a part in giving LI Lost Boyz a T.o.Y. award as a D team, but still).

My reasoning was to try to encourage people to move up after one season at D.

It's impossible and unfair to rate players individually and say they cannot play a certain level. I mean, if you put 10 guys like me and one Charlie Baumgartner on a team, that's probably a D team competitively .. but people would still rag on Charlie for playing D.

So my thinking was, give FULL teams more of an incentive to move up, this way we could potentially force the moevs up rather than down and have a legit A, B and C division.

But that idea was shot down, several teams, because it was considered "too radical" and would scare off teams.

I know of a few teams that specifically asked me to create a lower division than "D" because they couldn't even compete at the "D" level, but I couldn't bring myself to continue adding letters.

Anyway, my point is, am I crazy, or do you think that is a viable idea?
I think you could have an A, B and C division based on competition and then an Open/Rec division with no rosters, no playoffs, no awards, for teams that don't think they can compete or are just out to have fun and play with friends or whatnot.
bis25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Coed Connoisseur

Name: Tim

That's not a terrible idea then.. Makes the regular season count more, and force the winner to move up.. Maybe have a system in place to flag a team and its manager?

Tough to regulate though, as been said.

My GTG List: BPierce208, Singh, BS25

Originally Posted by Joanie20 View Post
you're a stud timmy.
Big Daddy 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Originally Posted by JIMMY34 View Post
Yea...that seems fair and then like I said maybe $100 league credit to move UP instead of shirts...

JIMMY34
Well, I can't speak for credits, because that's a business issue. I can say that is doubtful, but I won't go into all the reasons. Let' just say, I learned long before the Glassman's took over ABA that discounting was frowned upon.

My thinking was, that they would automatically be bumped if they won the division, and teams that wanted to play in a less competitive situation could stay down if they choose to.

Some people just play, for the fun of playing, but getting hammered week after week is demoralizing.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Name: Matty

I don't know how it owrks or anything about but I have seen that player rating idea thing....Each player gets a rating based on stats and level of play...each level designates a certain number of total points to each team. They have to have rosters checked prior to start of season (which also encourages manager to meet players priopr to the season to receive payment heling out ABA a little maybe).... But I think this idea is pretty cool...that way that example you used Tom, you with Baumgartner lol, would still be reasonable...alot of low ranked guys with one really good guys could fit in D level points and be a D level team, this also prevents sandbagging, and teams way outta their league... And if there is a player thats not ranekd, or a team with all unranked players, there should be a default ranking (probably towards the C and B division) and after the conclusion of that season, ratings are distributed and the team is moved up or down.....Tom you probably thought of this or pitched it or something. Any ideas?

EDIT:sorry bout the typos I rushed lol
00BigMattyC00 is offline   Reply With Quote