General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

PLEASE help a brother out...

This is a discussion on PLEASE help a brother out... within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
What if players/teams didn't sandbag? Maybe there wouldn't be such a need for the hero bats.....ever think of it that ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2005, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
typerhonda

Default im crazy...i sorta agree with Sparky...

What if players/teams didn't sandbag? Maybe there wouldn't be such a need for the hero bats.....ever think of it that way? I mean...if B players weren't playing D, D players wouldn't need hero bats right? They would be fine playing against players of the same caliber....

I don't know..... just a thought....not that its correct..

Old 06-29-2005, 04:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
chezz87

If you are willing to use a hero bat for one reason, you are willing to use it for any reason.

Let's go with something here. Does anybody remember the Worth single wall that was rated at 1.3? It was purple I think. That bat must be hotter then the current composites that are rated at 1.2. Maybe not. How about the current bats are still over the limit.

Let's go back to single walls and .47/525. It's simple, one layer of aluminum in the barrel and a decent ball.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
KennyH123

I am all for going to single walls and 47/525. I hit some of the longest balls I've ever hit with a single wall bat and 47/525 balls. Why does anyone need to hit it further?

I think the beginning of the end started with DeMarini and his damn double walled bat. Should have been outlawed from the get go.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Max Johnson

First of all...Sparky is never right. Second of all, as long as the association keeps allowing hero bats, people will buy them whether there is bagging or not. They buy them for league play. I remember going to Mohr/Chasteen board looking for the hottest DW bat possible in order to have a slight advantage but then they just got out of hand and when the Ultra came out I didn't even want one. I never saw a ball hit with an ultra that I was impressed with...that's the bow and not the indian. Now we're trying to compete with high tech teams and win the worlds so I basically have to buy a $300 bat whether I want to or not.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
typerhonda

i think it really has less to do with that than you guys are willing to admit. I guess this is less about the bats and balls and more about agreeing with Sparky on the sandbagging issue of softball. Single wall and .47 with a B player playing in D still results in the same issue. To me, E level ball is supposed to be for the guy who wants to play a tourney and might wear jeans during league night. D should be for regular/good guys who have trouble hitting homeruns. the guys that most of us play with on a regular/league lineup. Not good players intentionally not hitting Home runs. When I tease Universe about being a C team, its because I think they SHOULD be a C team. That should be the standard of what a C team is. That means the Monacos, Yamins, etc should be B, and so on. I think it would really help. Thats just my opinion. I think all of the classes are wrong. Unless someone else wants to explain the lack of B teams in the northeast?
Old 06-29-2005, 04:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Max Johnson

That part is absolutely right if everything was perfect in the world which unfortunately it's not. When we have our full team and our inconsistent asses are actually playing good ball, we can occasionally get up for a C team or even a B team and bite them in the ass but the vast majority of the time (as this weekend showed), we're not in that class.

Upper players like to blame middle players for not playing up and middle/lower players like to blame upper players for playing down as the reason they don't play up. If I had to guess, I'd fall in with the middle player's thinking. There are upper players who don't want to travel or want to play more frequently than a upper sched allows so they drop down which starts the avalanche.

Let's say there's a class A or maybe upper B guy who loves to play. His buddy the C player is playing and B guy is off that weekend so C invites B to come and play with him for the weekend. C is short another guy and B guy wants to win so he says "why don't I get my friend B2 to come?" so C guy gets B and B2 for the weekend and they kick a lot of ass (drop the two weakest players out of your lineup and add two upper level studs). Then C2 plays on one of the teams who got their ass kicked by C, B, and B2 that weekend and he's like "what the **** - I know some B players too...if that's the way we're going to play then two can play at that game". B and B2 aren't happy about the lower HR limit but they like going to the park relaxing and knowing they'll play a few extra games without having to work as hard at it as they do in A/B. C likes having a better team so they're all win win but now C2 is fighting fire with fire. Next thing you know, C3 is doing the same with his team. Next thing you know, C4 doesn't know any B players so he's dropping down to D and so on.

I've said before and I'll say it again. Whatever the lowest class is (Class E for now) is supposed to be recreational. As such, there should be no ongoing program...each weekend should be a self contained entity. There are no states, no points, no anything. It's basically nothing more than a sanctioned memorial tourney. You won this weekend? Congratulations...hope you come back again next weekend. That's it. Maybe a t-shirt but no points and no building towards anything. This would keep a lot of the really competitive guys out of it and keep it for true rec ballers like it's intended. But then the ASSociations wouldn't get all that E Worlds money. What they would get is the casual player would once again have a place to play with his 5 year old EST and not have to worry about getting killed by a bagger with his credit card power. Maybe even make the E's use lesser equipment as a way of keeping it unattractive for competitive players and safer for the rec player. Mainly though...by getting rid of E states and worlds and all that you're discouraging one full level of bagging. You gotta start somewhere.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
typerhonda

Max, thats a good call....change the equipment rules for each league...Make them hit with .40 balls and have their best bat be $200 or less....whatever. I know you hear what I am saying...if Sparky could articulate more and stop talking shit he would get more respect when trying to say this shit...
Old 06-29-2005, 05:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Max Johnson

Sparky could tell me that 2+2 = 4 but he'll say it in such an assholish way and whine about it over and over so much that I'll be so sick of hearing about it that I'll start believing he can't possibly be right.

The fact that he prowls USSSA.com looking for sandbaggers from across the country is so odd to me that it makes his voice a little less credible too.

It's just the same arguments over and over again...nothing about the game of softball - just the same answers to everything over and over even if a completely different question is asked.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
typerhonda

I have seen sparky pitch against C teams and field and get hit middle on. So, he has more balls than me. i wouldnt do it if you pay me.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Max Johnson

I wouldn't call it balls especially after the shit he starts online. I noticed he went back to E after getting drilled up in D. I won't chirp about that for one second though because I wouldn't pitch if you paid me - I have the reflexes of a tree.