General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Pitching

This is a discussion on Pitching within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
I have one year of pitching under my belt now. my team is moving up a division this year so ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Tommy
Default Pitching

I have one year of pitching under my belt now. my team is moving up a division this year so I'm looking for some tips on getting better as a pitcher. I can throw a knuckle ball and I throw some backspin. Is there any other good pitches that actually work?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

DROPPIN BOMBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

Location, location, location and vary your arc. Also, a decent curve really helps if you don't over use it. Throw one up and in and curve it in to get in on their hands or low and away tailing out to make them reach if they already have a strike. Just keep changing it up. If you rely on any one pitch too much, any decent hitter will quickly adjust.

" Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest"
-Mahatma Ghandi
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. I've tried a curve but never really got it to curve much. Maybe I'm not doing it right.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: CB

Originally Posted by oppo View Post
Location, location, location abackdoor. your arc. Also, a decent curve really helps if you don't over use it. Throw one up and in and curve it in to get in on their hands or low and away tailinaut to make them reach if they already have a strike. Just keep changing it up. If you rely on any one pitch too much, any decent hitter will quickly adjust.
I totally agree. I hardly ever use a knuckle or backspin. I mainly use curves & location. If their crowding the plate hit the inside corner if their standing way off throw it outside corner. I try to keep maximum arc though because I want someone to have generate their own power instead of me helping.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Good advice. Could anyone explain how to throw a good curve?

Old 03-27-2014, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Jesse

This is how I hold mine. Imagine yourself throwing a bowling ball and hooking it down the lane. Throw the ball the same way. Works pretty well for me. Even on a bad day I can still get 1' of break on it.
LSX Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'll give it a try. Thanks

Old 03-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: CB

Originally Posted by LSX Freak View Post

This is how I hold mine. Imagine yourself throwing a bowling ball and hooking it down the lane. Throw the ball the same way. Works pretty well for me. Even on a bad day I can still get 1' of break on it.
I throw mine different with my fingers together and flick my wrist. I'm going to try your way 1" on a bad day sounds good to me.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I throw mine different with my fingers together and flick my wrist. I'm going to try your way 1" on a bad day sounds good to me.
This how I normally throw mine and it works pretty well for me.

" Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest"
-Mahatma Ghandi
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Jesse

Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
All in the snap and follow through. If you have even the slightest breeze to catch the seams it'll really take off too. When pitching the wind is your best friend. Learn how to use it and it'll make a huge difference in how effective you can be.
oppo likes this.
LSX Freak is offline   Reply With Quote