General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Nice guy - horrible player

This is a discussion on Nice guy - horrible player within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
Whoo, I wonder how many of you guys who run teams have this problem. So I have this guy I ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Gern
Default Nice guy - horrible player

Whoo, I wonder how many of you guys who run teams have this problem.

So I have this guy I met from some pick up games, super nice guy, reliable, great guy to drink beers with.

However, he's terrible at softball. Yes, he has all teh baseball clothes and expesnsive bats and he's really into it, but he's a terrible player. He's short and the slowest human alive, he can only play first base, nothing else and he's not even good at that. He occassionally digs out a throw but I think it's more because he's not afraid to just stick his mitt out there, not because he's especially good. He's short so anything remotely high won't get caught and his overall defense is weak. A couple times straight assed balls from short hit the edge of his mitt which made me want to scream. As a batter he's hit .350 on two teams of mine now, I think it's official now, he can't hit.

But he's a super nice guy and that goes a long way with me. A couple of the guys said "just dont' ask him back" but I honestly don't want to hurt the guy's feelings. He was playing on some coed team earlier this year and they practically kicked him off and at the time I thought it was mean but now I see why.

So I'm putting together the winter team and I emailed everyone on the current team and he emails back "I'll play if you'll have me" and now he's putting thoughts in my head (with this "if you'll have me") on how I could tell him not to return. He didn't play last night and the guy who took his place ws a freakin' all star at first, plus he hits way better.

Is there any nice way to not have him back?

Again, I don't want to be a dick but man, I dread when he comes up to the plate and I hold my breath half the time someone fires to him at first. I'm not just going to tell him he can't come back, I'm just tryng to figure out if there's a way to do it in a friendly way.

Chimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: B

Be gentle and honest with him. He should be able to see the errors and his 'short'-comings of different varieties. Tell him the team needs to strengthen it's D at first with someone that is a bigger target to help your other infielders. He is welcome to stay on the team as a sub as you never know how things will turn out and you really enjoy hanging out with him. But you understand if he doesn't want to show up if he may not play much if at all.
He may not like it outwardly, but inside he knows. Just emphasize that you like having him around, but really need an upgrade at 1B (whether you mention a stronger hitter as well).
Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Clint

I would say keep him on the roster but make him ride the pine. You never know when you're gonna be short players and if you're ever in a big lead you can sub him in. This is what my team did in my on base league. Lots of guys came out but we played the main starters until we had a good lead then subbed. Those that didn't like it stopped showing up and those that were there for the teams best interests got to play still, even more now that others quit out.

I play in a team right now where everyone always shows up. I've never seen a team be so reliable for league play. But last night our pitcher didn't show for whatever reason and we needed one of those guys who weren't too good. Having the extra was a big help in last nights game.
chrometip78 likes this.

Last edited by DocB04; 10-30-2013 at 02:23 PM.
DocB04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Originally Posted by DocB04 View Post

I play in a team right now where everyone always shows up. I've never seen a team be so reliable for league play. But last night our pitcher didn't show for whatever reason and we needed one of those guys who weren't too good. Having the extra was a big help in last nights game.
Yeah, me too. My summer team had 16 players, we had as many as 12 a couple games, the rst I had to get fill ins. In fall, I have 16 and every guy shows up practically every game, it's almost a hindrance.

That said, I think I'm going to eat it during winter ball and let him play, then I've come up with an idea for spring where he won't be back. He also plays on a coed team of mine and I'll keep him on that (most of the girls hit higher than he did) but after winter ball, he's done with my mens team.

BTW, just to see, I added up his stats for the two seasons he's played with me and this year (where he doesn'thave a hit yet) and his total BA for 2+ seaosns is .340 - 5 rbis in 20 games.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: CB

Quit dancing around the truth & just be straight with him. Hey man I’d love to have you on the roster, but I need more production so we can be competitive. Spring & summer are the main competitive times (around here anyway). Fall is just to have fun basically so what’s the harm of having someone like that? You could always practice with him & help him to improve which would be my go to.

Lol riding the pine in slow pitch?? Uh yeah my ass is heading to the house or you’re going to have to play against me.
AVALANCHE#50 likes this.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Clint

Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Quit dancing around the truth & just be straight with him. Hey man I’d love to have you on the roster, but I need more production so we can be competitive. Spring & summer are the main competitive times (around here anyway). Fall is just to have fun basically so what’s the harm of having someone like that? You could always practice with him & help him to improve which would be my go to.

Lol riding the pine in slow pitch?? Uh yeah my ass is heading to the house or you’re going to have to play against me.
Yeah riding the pine lol. You probably don't suck and don't have to worry about it. Some people don't mind it if they're on a really good team and get to be subbed in. Those are the subs I want on a team cause everyone else can usually keep things going well around them or adjust to where you don't miss your starters too bad.
DocB04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: Ken

Originally Posted by DocB04 View Post
I would say keep him on the roster but make him ride the pine. You never know when you're gonna be short players and if you're ever in a big lead you can sub him in. This is what my team did in my on base league. Lots of guys came out but we played the main starters until we had a good lead then subbed. Those that didn't like it stopped showing up and those that were there for the teams best interests got to play still, even more now that others quit out.

Best answer right here^ I've been in that spot nefore and luckily the person went away organically after a season but this sounds like a great way to handle it.

Sent From Greatness

34/30 Club

Repping gloves in NorCal
chrometip78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Blane

If u like the guy try to help him dont know how long he has been playing but if u think about it we all sucked at some point in time nobody is gods gift to softball but be honest with him to if he is for the team and not himself he should understand but i wouldnt kick him off because somebody else could put a little time in lnto him and be yalls worst nightmare next year!!!!
Worthman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

We did hit balls one Sunday. Apparently this guy does work at it. He's got a little machine that flips balls in the air and says he uses it in his backyard and hits into a screen. I'm not wasting time hitting with him. I think he's a good as he's going to get. He's in his early 30s. He's not new and he's even claimed he played college ball (no way on God's green earth he played college ball).

Like I say, I'm just going to eat it for winter ball and let him play and I have figured out a way to not use him next year.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Daniel

Don't be a dick Matt. Cut it to him straight and crush his dreams. This country is being run by people who dream to big. Time to start laying the truth hammer down.
Email with questions [email protected]
Dgambill85 is offline   Reply With Quote