Softball Forum - Slow Pitch Softball Forums > Softball Forums > General Slowpitch Softball Forum » Newbie seeking advice on glove size & model recommendations

General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Newbie seeking advice on glove size & model recommendations

This is a discussion on Newbie seeking advice on glove size & model recommendations within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
After many years, I've joined a league to play recreational slow pitch softball. My two questions are: what size glove ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Sheldon
Default Newbie seeking advice on glove size & model recommendations

After many years, I've joined a league to play recreational slow pitch softball. My two questions are: what size glove should I be looking at for playing anything from catcher, pitcher, second base, outfield? Is there such a thing as an ideal compromise size?

Second: If I want to keep my purchase to $100 or less and don't want to purchase used, any particular brand and/or model that is a forum favorite for my purposes? If it matters, I am a lefty.

Thanks

shekie777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: CB

Look for deals.

Size wise. I use a 12.75. Only prob I have is 1st base with it other than does great
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Tom

13" - 14" is a typical size softball mitt. Some will be sold on smaller but its alot bigger ball than a baseball.

Dont let YER' Meatloaf
oppo likes this.
AVALANCHE#50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

I have never understood using a small glove in softball. I would say 13"-14" for infield and 14" for outfield or 1B. Kelley's base series may still be in that price range. They are very good for the money and hold up well. I still have a 14" I bought about 15 years ago. It is still in great shape and everyone thathas uused it really likes it. I also have a 13" in their top series that is about 12-13 years old that takes great care of me on the mound but those are $200+. In general, cheap gloves break in quickly but get floppy while better gloves take a long time to break in but will last a long time. Watever you get, break it in good and take care of it.

" Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest"
-Mahatma Ghandi
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Duane

A 12.5" glove is perfect for me, but I wouldn't go smaller. I could be comfortable with a 12.75, maybe some 13s, but anything bigger feels too big to me. I'm 6'2" or 6'3", but my hands are not all that big to my thinking. My 12.5" glove probably plays as big as a lot of other people's 13" gloves because I don't put my fingers any farther into the glove than absolutely necessary to control it, and I like my glove to open wide.

It's all personal preference, really.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Phillip

I wear a medium batting glove and a 14" mitt.

Worn this for every position havent lost a 12" ball in it yet. Glove is at or about 22yrs in age still looks good break em in, oil em and avoid abuse could be the last glove you buy.
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
hb2
Mod'ing aint Easy

Name: Jay

Anything that feels comfortable
defos likes this.
hb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Sheldon

Well, I ended up purchasing an inexpensive Rawlings at a big box store, not very happy with it. Very soft, kind of floppy, I want something nicer.

I am now looking at two models, either a Nokona WS 1250C or a Vinci RV 1961-22. The Nokona is a 12 1/2 inch model with a beehive web, the Vinci is 12 3/4 inch with an H-web. I like the look of the Nokona better (traditional brown) but I like the price of the Vinci.

Anyone who has used either or both that can comment or help with choosing one over the other? Something else I should be looking at in the $160-$220 price range for slow pitch, will play infield and maybe some outfield? Thanks.
shekie777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Name: D J

Well....You jumped up in a hurry!
Vinci, Nokona are both top notch, but you are going to drop some coinage

Do yourself a favor and check out M2 custom gloves
oilslick58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
hb2
Mod'ing aint Easy

Name: Jay

Go dicks sporting goods or any big chain and try them out. Ordering a glove can sometimes bite ub in the ass
hb2 is offline   Reply With Quote