General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

To mask or not to mask...that is the ?

This is a discussion on To mask or not to mask...that is the ? within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
Played the snappers tonight (class team no bad blood). My 7 hitter hit the ball 6' to right of the ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 04:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Tom
Default To mask or not to mask...that is the ?

Played the snappers tonight (class team no bad blood). My 7 hitter hit the ball 6' to right of the mound. The pitcher shifts to try to snag it and takes the ball off his cheek and drops like a bag of liberals (he he). Ambulance and fire department come and stretcher him off the field. From what I hear hes got a fractured eye socket and im guessing hes staying in hospital over night as far as I know. Puts a reality check into the game we play for fun sometimes I wish him well.

I will say this...I have worn my mask for 2 years now and I see a mandatory mask wearing rule coming for all pitchers coming soon. No reason in the world not to do it.

I hope he turns out OK

Dont let YER' Meatloaf

Last edited by AVALANCHE#50; 09-27-2013 at 06:43 PM.
AVALANCHE#50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
hb2
Mod'ing aint Easy

Name: Jay

I've seen more leg injuries then anything. I wouldn't be opposed to a mask rule
hb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: CB

I don’t care either way, but for the greater good of the sport it would be a good rule to implement.

I personally don’t wear one atm, but I probably should. I would rather protective equipment be mandatory than for the bat/ball regulations get any worse.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Star Player

Update on our fallen soldier.

He stayed the night in the hospital. His orbital eye socket and jaw are broken. He's waiting to see an ENT to see if he needs surgery.

Don't let yer Meatloaf!
Old 09-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Kris

We're all going to require helmets soon too at this rate.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Kent

I took one off the Mongo Nutty Buddy tonight, cup check, check
tobenamedlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Star Player

Originally Posted by tobenamedlater View Post
I took one off the Mongo Nutty Buddy tonight, cup check, check
Sis wants pics

Dont let YER' Meatloaf
Old 09-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: irishmafia

Originally Posted by AVALANCHE#50 View Post
I will say this...I have worn my mask for 2 years now and I see a mandatory mask wearing rule coming for all pitchers coming soon. No reason in the world not to do it.
Because it is stupid? The masks presently on the market are there and available and no rule says you cannot wear the masks if you choose to do so.

So, if it is that important to you, why should it take an organization to tell you what to do?

Most likely scenario if mandated, which IMO is ludicrous, not to mention cowardly for an adult, it will take more than a year to get APPROVED masks on the market. Due to liability, a mandated mask will have to be developed and tested to insure it meets minimum standards for safety for softball (other sports would be irrelevant) and approved and bear a legitimate stamp from NOCSAE (which I believe has a period of one year of testing prior to approval).

The mask you wear until the point will no longer be allowed and there is no BS like with the bats. The stamp will be permanent and there is no margin allowed. If it is cracked or damaged in any way, you are not pitching with that mask. If a strap, rivet or screw is loose, you are not pitching with that mask. If it breaks and you do not have another NOCSAE-approved mask available, you are not pitching. If your team does not have a NOCSAE-approved mask, you just forfeited the game.

The umpire will not have any discretion on this, if mandated.

The equipment is available and we are discussing alleged grown adults who are supposedly capable of making their own decisions and choices. Next thing you know, there will be a demand for a rule requiring gloves.
irishmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Star Player

I here ya Ire. Im completely about we are big boys and lets us make our own decisions and government over regulation BS. However in this case common sense is safety first and I dont think the attorney's are going to agree with you either on this one lol. What will start happening is park districts and or the governing sanctions will have to start applying this rule. I for one would rather see more safety equipment for pitcher and less regulations on bats myself. That would be a great tradeoff.

Dont let YER' Meatloaf
Old 09-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
SFZ Supporting Vendor

Name: Smarkley

If I could hit the plate consistently I would look like this

chrometip78 likes this.