General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

If you're going to be late...

This is a discussion on If you're going to be late... within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
Just tell me you're going to be late. f'ing drives me nuts. I get a call from one player last ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Gern
Default If you're going to be late...

Just tell me you're going to be late. f'ing drives me nuts.

I get a call from one player last night 45 minutes before game time to tell me he's in traffic but will be there no later than 15 minutes before game time. No problem. And he says player 2 is right behind him in traffic.

Well as it turns out player 2 called him and said tell him I'll be there. That's it. He wasn't "just behind him."

So of course, the firs guy is there just as he said he woud. The second guy is nowhere to be found and we're at 9 players at game time. I put him on the line up card becasue he said he'd be there but he wasn't and you can't change your line up card once you turn it in.

He shows up a half hour into the game and says "traffic" which is total bull because the other guy was in traffic and was on time. I'm pretty pissed because he's lying. He says "traffic" six or seven more times over the remainder of teh game and then finally says "oh and my wife had the car with all my gear in it so I had to wait for her to come home." THAT"S why he was late - not traffic. All he had to do is tell me that at the beginning and I wouldn't put him on the line up until he got there. Instead he f'd us by lying.

I tell people if you're stuck in traffic and you're really 20 minutes away, don't call and tell me you're 5 minutes away. This drives me nuts. Common courtesy is all it takes but some people would rather just lie.

Chimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
hb2
Mod'ing aint Easy

Name: Jay

You need a whole new team.
hb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: Jason

It's 33* and it's been raining since 9:00 this morning. It should turn to snow pretty soon and continue all night.

Spring league starts in 19 weeks.
beernbombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Originally Posted by hb2 View Post
You need a whole new team.
Never was there a truer statement.

My winter team is almost a different team from my summer team that was one of the best in the league. Terrible defense, our offense is embarrassing. I'm literally the only player who can play any position. I have no real shortstop but I've only got two guys who can catch fly balls. So if we're playing a bomber team, I play left. If it's a lesser team, I'll play short. The terrible guy who I wanted to kick off who started the first three games hitting 1.000 came back down to earth of course and is back to his crappy hitting self, going 1 for 4 including 2 inning ending double plays last night yet he's still leading my team in batting. This guy who was late last night is hitting .150. A good portion of the team is hitting under .500.

On the plus side, the two guys who can catch flies (and hit well) will probably play on my main coed team next summer, so I did get somethig good out of it all.

Just sucks when you're on a great team and two seasons later it's degraded into one of the worst.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
hb2
Mod'ing aint Easy

Name: Jay

I hear u. Try to take things is small strides.
hb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Originally Posted by hb2 View Post
I hear u. Try to take things is small strides.
Our final game got canceled because the other team, a team that had no business in the league beuase they coudln't field a team, once again couldn't get enough players. However my team this winter is the worst hitting team I've ever played on, so bad, I'm not even releasing the stats. I'd say 75% hit under .500. Many of those players will not be back.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Phillip

just use the winter team as try outs for the summer team. Just let them know suck now dont get an invite back. play great but are an ass no invite, play well not an ass put ya on my summer team if your interested.
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
just use the winter team as try outs for the summer team. Just let them know suck now dont get an invite back. play great but are an ass no invite, play well not an ass put ya on my summer team if your interested.
I put together a list of everyone who played all three seasons. I took out a number of guys who only played one or two games who I won't use again. I took out the two crappy regulars. I know 4 of my main guys from summer won't be available for spring so I put together tentative rosters for spring and then summer, which we should be great again (but crappy again by winter ball lol)
Old 12-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Phillip

Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown, or totes a score book around.
defos likes this.
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown, or totes a score book around.
LOL. A guy at work here says to me "I see you coming in the morning carrying a clipboard and notepad with you. what does that all that mean?"

It's the Scorebook from the previous nights games I'm tallying up the stats and the line up of which I clearn off the dry erase clip board. I think it's funny how goofy I must look carrying these two things in the morning the night after a game.