General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

How to glue a softball bat end cap

This is a discussion on How to glue a softball bat end cap within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
I've got an og mutant with no problems thank god but looking at getting another one so if anything happens ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #21 (permalink)

Name: Tommy

I've got an og mutant with no problems thank god but looking at getting another one so if anything happens I'm bookmarking this thread

Ipull2right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #22 (permalink)

Name: Tommy

Originally Posted by irishmafia View Post
Well, yeah you already are.

reputable bat doc? Yeah, now there's an oxymoron.
Not every doc is a kevorkian
Ipull2right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #23 (permalink)

Name: Duane

I think irishmafia's point is that any alterations from the way the bat left the factory, even legitimate repairs, are deemed illegal by the associations. Therefore any bat doctor, regardless of the intent, is viewed as a little shady.

I had a Supercell I bought NIW that soon developed a buzz on some hits, and definitely when it hit the ground. It was one of the best bats I've had, so I tried to find the source of the buzz. I drilled a couple of small holes in the handle to see if there was something in there that would cause it. (There's nothing in a Supercell, except at the end.) I covered the holes with tape, so no one would see them. I then drilled a hole in the end of the knob, and filled it with construction glue, then put a cover on the knob. That stopped the rattling and the buzz. I did all that knowing I couldn't use it in an official game anymore because it would be ruled an altered bat, even though I had done nothing to change the bat's performance. But as loud as the buzz was getting, I figured the umps would toss it out anyway.
defos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #24 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: Ken

I understand the point but I want to be able to keep a bat going and don't feel bad about prolonging the life long as I'm not modding the bat to gain performance. Call me a cheater if you want but we both know that I'm not gaining performance and if I beat you, it's straight up.

I had to call out a former teammates team for trying to swing utrip sticks in an asa tourney, he got pissed and called out the clear packaging tape I had over my asa stamps cause he knew I had it there. Think it pissed blue off that the guy was being a bitch and told him he wasn't going to make me remove it. I took the tape off anyways just to make a point since I know his asa sticks are shaved. Then middle wars were on, ended up snapping him off, making his pitcher dance, and handed them their first loss in the tourney. Still feel good about that game.

34/30 Club

Repping gloves, softballs, and wax in NorCal
chrometip78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #25 (permalink)

Name: Duane

Originally Posted by chrometip78 View Post
I understand the point but I want to be able to keep a bat going and don't feel bad about prolonging the life long as I'm not modding the bat to gain performance. Call me a cheater if you want but we both know that I'm not gaining performance and if I beat you, it's straight up.
I don't have a problem with that, but the powers that be do have a problem with it. A repaired bat is an altered bat by the book. It sucks, but I can see their reasoning. Who's going to decide what is a legitimate repair and what's an illegal alteration? What's allowed, and what isn't?
defos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #26 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

Originally Posted by defos View Post
I don't have a problem with that, but the powers that be do have a problem with it. A repaired bat is an altered bat by the book. It sucks, but I can see their reasoning. Who's going to decide what is a legitimate repair and what's an illegal alteration? What's allowed, and what isn't?
Actually, this is pretty simple, imo. You can actually have a bat sent to the manufacturer and repaired. I understand that making the exact same repairs yourself is technically altering the bat but morally and competitively, there is no difference. Putting tape or clear coat over the stamps to protect them technically makes the bat illegal but morally and competitively, is no different than simply not having jackasses throwing bats around. Why should I lose the use of my bat because some jackasses mistreat it? See where I am going with this? Things like repairing endcaps, knobs, handles, and protecting stamps are not an attempt to alter the performance of the bat. Shaving, rolling, adding an endload etc. are an attempt to alter the performance of the bat.
chrometip78 likes this.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:51 AM   #27 (permalink)
Administrator

Name: Andy

Originally Posted by defos View Post
If it's in no way improving the performance of the bat, let's not split hairs. Every player knows what's right and wrong. Having a legit bat that you properly repaired will not earn you a suspension from the sanction. A shaved bat can and will...same thing? No.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
chrometip78 likes this.