General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

How did you do in 2007? Assess your season.

This is a discussion on How did you do in 2007? Assess your season. within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
Now that worlds are over, let's hear how you did. Did you meet your goals? Exceed them? Were you better ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2007, 04:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Red Shirt Freshman

Name: Max
Default How did you do in 2007? Assess your season.

Now that worlds are over, let's hear how you did. Did you meet your goals? Exceed them? Were you better this year than last year or the same or even worse? You can give stats or whatever reasoning you have. I know there's going to be a lot of tooling on each other in this thread but lets try to keep it somewhat under control so that everybody can give their honest self-assessments.

Me - I definitely improved this year. I got a RF swing down in Utrip to the point where I can almost hit that better than the left side. I can move the ball around pretty well now. I prefer ripping the shit out of the ball and pulling it to the left side of the field but

a) that's not the best idea against the 5 man
b) much more likely to hit a bad HR
c) a base hit to RF from a right handed batter is the best swing in the game as far as moving a runner from 1B to 3B easily.

I didn't lift much at all this spring after last year being the strongest I've ever been only to have it absolutely ruin my swing. I think that prevented my swing from being the pronounced chop that it was in year's past (I always attack triceps a lot in the off seasoni since they traditionally fueled my power) which helped out my utrip swing a lot while not doing much at all for my power. With my triceps not dominating my swing, I had much more of an uppercut. That allows me to reach down and golf those horseshit strikes that the umps insist on calling.

I've been bored of leagues for a while now. I can't always swing as hard as I want to and maintain my consistency and I can't beat OF's consistantly so my average suffers when I don't feel like 'just getting hits'. Most league games aren't worth sacrificing the fun (swinging out of my shoes) for the performance (placing hits around the infield). I don't have the consistent power that I used to plus I'm more 'well known' locally and also much bigger now than in my younger days so I can't surprise OF's as much as I did. I feel that when I was going for hits and wasn't giving up at bats by having fun in lopsided games, I was hitting as good as just about anybody on my team which is pretty good. I didn't always have the discipline to do that 100% of the time but at the end of the day, you need to have some fun too. When I reached into the base hit bag, I was very pleased with my percentage of success. Whjen I played a league game that I deemed important and took somewhat seriously, my performance was right where I wanted it to be. Playoffs very much included.

My mid season diet at work took a LOT of power away from me that I've just been getting back over the last couple of weeks as I've been eating like a pig to get my strength back (at least that was the excuse). My speed has correspondingly shrank again but my bat speed and placement accuracy has been great. I'm going to go back to dropping the weight again because I felt a lot better the lighter I got. Now that I don't have to worry about any contest, I can do it slower and while keeping my strength up more.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

heres a breakdown of all 5 teams... i'd say its a year good enough to retire!!!!!

Turf Club... ASA State Runner Up. Class C 2007**League Champs 2007
VIPERS ... Co-ed State Champions Class B 2007**League Champs 2007
also went undefeated all year!!
Worth IT ....Co-ed State Champions Class C 2007**League Champs 2007
LocBid ... 1 tourney win in 2007. league chapionship next weekend...
Automotive Dreams #1 LEAGUE CHAMPS!! 2007.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Leading Off

cut down my leagues during the week from 7 to 2 and it was probally one of my most frustrating years. My play wasn't too bad but for me it wasn't where i wanted it. Im just not good enough to play once during the week and be able to play at my highest level on the weekends. Which has caused me to step away from the game after 12 years of playing everyday.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
1st Place Bruins

Originally Posted by jman01
heres a breakdown of all 5 teams... i'd say its a year good enough to retire!!!!!

Turf Club... ASA State Runner Up. Class C 2007**League Champs 2007
VIPERS ... Co-ed State Champions Class B 2007**League Champs 2007
also went undefeated all year!!
Worth IT ....Co-ed State Champions Class C 2007**League Champs 2007
LocBid ... 1 tourney win in 2007. league chapionship next weekend...
Automotive Dreams #1 LEAGUE CHAMPS!! 2007.
Over achiever...
DaveTBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Star Player

Had a lot less leagues, went down to just 1. Probably will only do that part time next year. League play is stupid.

Team wise we had a good year.....

Personally I didn't hit that well towards the end of the year, but during the middle of the year I was tearing it up.....I know what was wrong and its easy to fix....So back to the gym to get ready for next year again......

Jay Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Leading Off

Name: Mike

Team wise:

FD Team- Won our division. We'll be moving out of the league we're playing in because of some problems with another FD, who has one of the league commissioners on their team, and pretty much make up the rules as they go along.

Bingers- Won our first ever tournament. That was a huge accomplishment for us. We finally put together a team of guys who are dedicated, want to play lots and come down and play hard. Up until this year, we were the kings of 2 and que. It was getting down right embarassing. So with the monkey off our back, we played pretty solid in a lot of other tournaments. Didn't fare as well as we would have liked to in the worlds, our bats were just flat. We need to start winning our first game, so we stay out of that losers bracket right away. Such a killer.

Leagues- Friday nights we won the regular season, and play for the championship next Friday against Cablevision. I'm pretty sure we've played them anywhere between 15-20 games this year. Monday nights- just finished regular season last night in 3rd place. Should have been better, but we were missing a bunch of guys at the beginning of the year. Playoffs start next week. Sunday snowflake just started, off to a 4-0 start against some real low level teams, unfortunately (we can thank TNT for that one, bastards backed out, we always have a ton of fun playing those guys on Sundays) So it's just turned into party central. Pre-game mimosas and bloody marys, post game beers in the parking lot.

Personal- This was honestly my best year hitting overall. Even with dealing with three different strike zones. I learned where my power pitches are, and which ones I can place for hits. I've come full circle from a dead pull hitter, to putting most of my HR's out into center and right center. I've also learned to adjust my feet to go to right to advance runners etc. My only area where I'm not to happy with myself is fielding. I really hurt my arm to the point after a couple of really hard throws it feels like it's going to fall off. I still can track balls down in the outfield, but my throws are nothing compared to what they used to be. I've been basically relegated to C/DH, which I really have no problem with, but I'd like to have an extra tool in the pouch, and be able to help out in a bind.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Ken

Played 4 leagues this year....

Wingdale League Champs
Beekman League Champs
Danbury Over 40 Season Champs
Danbury Sunday...2nd place.

Personal: 12" ball lobbed underhanded. I crush it. End of story.
KennyH123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Jeff

Tournaments:
ASA 35 & Over State & National Champions
ASA C State Champs
ASA B Nationals 7th out of 15
USSSA C 3rd State - 49th in Worlds

Personally wasn't one of my better years with exception of 2 ASA Nationals

The whole Diamond King fiasco kind of soured my entire year (no offense to anyone)

Who knows what next year holds - hopefully I'll be holding 20 less pounds
jeff Mets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Leading Off

Name: Harry

League wise it was a successful season. Tourny wise nothing to be ashamed of.

Personally, the first two thirds of the season were best for me. I hit consistently during this time. Consistently going 2-3, 3-4 and 2-4 on a game basis. My glove was also better in the first two thirds of the season as well. If I were able to maintain and improve on the first part of the season I would have been satisfied, but the opposite happened.

As far as the last third is concerned, I'm hitting more like 1-3 and 2-4 on a game basis and do not like the quality of the hits. My defense isn't as sharp either. I can't put my finger on why this is happening. I feel good physically so it's not like I'm beat up or tired. In fact, physically I feel better now than at the beginning of the season. Last year at this time I was among the walking wounded.

I have two theories, one is it's purely mental. I don't have the mental intensity at the end of the season that I had at the beginning. Two is my vision is weaker for some reason. I am seriously considering a thorough eye exam.

I am also a better daytime player than playing under the lights. Most of which are pretty shitty in this area. Perhaps more of my games during the last third were night games. I hit and field better when I see the ball well. Duh.

I plan on working on developing more strength and speed, which at my state of relatively advanced age (I'll be 48 in a couple of weeks) is a challenge. Increase my bat speed and solidify my mechanics to the point where they are automatic and consistent. I would like to also devote more time to developing better defensive skills. Work on softer hands and going back on fly balls, which was an adventure for me this season (my theory here is I wasn't running on the balls of my feet thus causing head shake). I also think I can improve on arm/throwing strength as well.

So this off season I will be doing some light lifting and even though I hate it, do some running. There is no substitute for running when it comes to building endurance and speed. Don't know if I can pull it off but quitting smoking will help a lot in this area. I also hope to hook up with as much BP as I can. This will help my batting and fielding for the up coming season.

If you can avoid it fellahs, don't get old. Speaking of age, I have found that during the last 5 years, I have lost more physically than in any time in my life. The ages of 42 to 47 is a real bitch, something for you younger guys to look forward to.
harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Leading Off

Name: michael

Originally Posted by KennyH123
Played 4 leagues this year....

Wingdale League Champs
Beekman League Champs
Danbury Over 40 Season Champs
Danbury Sunday...2nd place.

Personal: 12" ball lobbed underhanded. I crush it. End of story.
Wingdale? Are you kidding me. Those derelict looking fucks I see wandering around when I pass by the old nut hatch have actually heard of softball?
24mf is offline   Reply With Quote