General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Here is your sign

This is a discussion on Here is your sign within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
I was playing a USSSA tournament this weekend and my kid was filling in for the first couple of games. ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me
Default Here is your sign

I was playing a USSSA tournament this weekend and my kid was filling in for the first couple of games. He swings a 34/24 Mayhem FP. The umps started talking and then said something to him so I asked what it was. He was told he couldn't use the bat because it was a fastpitch bat and was not legal for USSSA. First of all, if he was truly hitting with a nonapproved bat he should have been called out and ejected. During my short conversation with one of the umps, he told me fastpitch bats were stiffer and therefore hotter than slowpitch bats. I struggled to keep from laughing at him here. I said, you do realize the point of a compression test is to check for bats that are to soft, right? He replied yes and said that just because a bat is legal in ASA doesn't mean it is legal in USSSA and that there are several bats that are legal in ASA but not USSSA. I said "you mean the Ultra, Ultra 2, and Lady Virus?". He said yes. Who the hell thinks an Ultra is legal, especially in ASA? At this point, I just pointed to the USSSA stamp right there on the barrel where it was easy to see. Between the two umps, neither had bothered to even look for the stamp.

With all the teams out there handing off the same hot as hell bat despite having a dugout full of good bats and guys swinging bats that sound like you are hitting blue dots while hitting classic plusses, these umps decide to worry about a kid swinging an ASA bat and don't even look to see if it has a stamp.

oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Leading Off

Name: Bud

Rules are rules quit cheating. I keed I keed.

I know being an umpire or an official of any sport isn't easy, but I get tired of running in to umps that want to kind of enforce rules then make up others. Kid must have been hitting lasers for them to worry about it though.
Fudbelty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

Originally Posted by Fudbelty View Post

I know being an umpire or an official of any sport isn't easy, but I get tired of running in to umps that want to kind of enforce rules then make up others. Kid must have been hitting lasers for them to worry about it though.
That is what makes it all the more crazy. He doesn't hit lazers, more like squirts from a water pistol. He was just hitting judys. He is about 140 pounds, didn't grow up playing baseball, and is pretty new to softball. The reason he was playing is because we were short a guy and needed him to play until the replacement got there.
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Name: Andy

unfortunately umps are rarely up on bat rules.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Master Splinter

This is true^^^^^^
SacBunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Leading Off

Originally Posted by BIRDMAN View Post
unfortunately umps are rarely up on bat rules.
Umps care more about how hour the coed catcher is.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: irishmafia

I agree. And as an umpire, I'm tired of players who intentionally use what they are aware is a non-approved bat and then brag about getting one over on the umpire if he doesn't get caught. Of course, if he gets caught, he was just "testing" the umpire and really didn't mean to use it.
irishmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Name: Andy

Umps care more about how hour the coed catcher is.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
i like the autocorrect.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Leading Off

Originally Posted by BIRDMAN View Post
i like the autocorrect.
LoL I started the rule so I can't correct it.
Fudbelty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Tom

When we were playing in a 40 team tournament this year we had an ump want to make the show about him instead of the teams and the games. My left center fielder is lightning fast. I'd put him up against anybody you guys have to offer speed wise and he is lefty to boot. He's perfected the swinging slap to the 3rd baseman quite well and had been using the same swing for about 10 years time with never a problem. His first at bat of the game he performed the slap and was standing on 1st base with a perplexed 3rd baseman fielding the ball cleanly only to be surprised that there was no reason to offer a throw (in the dugout we have to muffle our laughter everytime to keep from being jags about it). The next time around the batting order he performs the slap and the field umpire wails out "yer out illegal swing". We argued and asked how come he didnt call it the first time, blah blah blah. Somewhere inside the arguement though he really screwed up and blurted out it was unfair because of how fast he was and it was unfair??????? LMFAO we bout lost it in mid arguement to keep from laughing from his reply. Needless to say he single handedly removed the bat from his hands the remainder of the game but we still won by 2 whew.
AVALANCHE#50 is offline   Reply With Quote