General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

help...i know what i do as manager...

This is a discussion on help...i know what i do as manager... within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
two out...two more batters till the offensive ejection out...runner on first...only the third inning... do you walk the next two ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

View Poll Results: two out man on first,offensive eject two batters away
walk two batters to get to the out(it's the 3rd inning) 8 23.53%
pitch to 1st batter and see if he gets runner in scoring pos. 16 47.06%
pitch to both batters 10 29.41%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2007, 02:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
SFZ Legend

Name: sparky
Default help...i know what i do as manager...

two out...two more batters till the offensive ejection out...runner on first...only the third inning... do you

walk the next two to get to the out

pitch to the 1st batter and see if he gets a runner in scoring position before walking the next guy.

pitch to both batters

"it's all about ME!!!"
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

HAHAHAHA.... I now what to do but you should have added what the score is because that might actually factor in even in the 3rd inning. Say you're up a boat load I'd pitch till the OE comes up, if you're down a boat load I might say walk them both and try to get the sticks going. If its a tight game +-5 runs let one hit.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
SFZ Legend

Name: sparky
Default hmmm

Originally Posted by Chinmusic27
HAHAHAHA.... I now what to do but you should have added what the score is because that might actually factor in even in the 3rd inning. Say you're up a boat load I'd pitch till the OE comes up, if you're down a boat load I might say walk them both and try to get the sticks going. If its a tight game +-5 runs let one hit.

i'll answer that after many more votes... ps. it was a close game the whole way...let more votes go til tomorrow night and then we will debate and see who's mind we change...don't forget who is the "E" master...lol

"it's all about ME!!!"
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Red Shirt Freshman

Name: Max

The first option is definitely not acceptable. If you don't need to use the OE as a weapon this inning, then how demoralizing would it be to the other team to start with an out the next inning??? This used to come up in our Tarrytown league where you were allowed to bat 9 but the 10th is an out.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Leading Off

Originally Posted by Max Johnson
The first option is definitely not acceptable. If you don't need to use the OE as a weapon this inning, then how demoralizing would it be to the other team to start with an out the next inning??? This used to come up in our Tarrytown league where you were allowed to bat 9 but the 10th is an out.
You'd be surprised...that's what I thought, but there are some who passionately disagree with this strategy....and it simply doesn't make sense to me.

Obviously there's never one right answer because it will depend on the exact situation, the exact batters, score, etc., but in general...espically on a fenced field where all HRs are OEs, you gotta pitch to the first batter, because what's the harm? He can't hit a HR (and if he does, even better), the ONLY way for the runner on 1st to score is an XBH, so just have your outfielders play deep and nothing gets over their heads.

The risk (that a run will score from 1st on a hit), given that there's no HR and the outfielders should be playing back is worth the reward (if you get the 3rd out, then you have a free out in the next inning, and also the slight chance he hits an OE trying to go for the extra base hit).

It's very different if the runner is on 2nd, but as long as he's not in scoring position, as long as he can't score on a single, there's very little risk (provided you play your OFs back to prevent an extra base hit)...it's also a different story if it's on an open field because then an HR is an option, or if a HR over the fence counts (if the out is because of say, someone being ejected for arguing).

To me, you're giving up a huge reward (the next inning having an out early on, which puts a huge damper in it) in exchange for only a very, very slight risk (that someone can score from first if you know in advance to play your outfielders deep).
DavidK44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Star Player

Its only the third inning. I would pitch to both batters.

Jay Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default You are so smart for 23...........

Dave you are a fucking tool, this coming from the same guy who was adamant that a left handed throwing fielder would make a better ss, 2b, or middle infielder than a right hander. And for the record, I left because of your clueless ass.
Woodyi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default And by the way.....................

What the "E Master" is forgetting to tell you is that the two guys had hit two gap shots already and it was the fourth inning, not the third, because I took myself out the next inning which was the fifth. But hey, he is the genius who switched the RC fielder in the bottom of the seventh, how did that work out? WELL I AM SURE MOST CAN FIGURE IT OUT.
Woodyi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Name: Tom

The thing I liked most about playing "E" was that as a manager, my decisions were actually useful and important and it was because of these type situations. Although alot of guys dont like playing with the OE, i loved managing with it, because it made me as a manager more involved in the game besides just doing the book and writing a lineup.
Tom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Leading Off

Originally Posted by Woodyi77
Dave you are a fucking tool, this coming from the same guy who was adamant that a left handed throwing fielder would make a better ss, 2b, or middle infielder than a right hander. And for the record, I left because of your clueless ass.
I never, ever said that. I said that a left handed 2nd baseman has an easier time on the 4-6-3 double play than a right handed 2nd baseman. That's true. Think about it...a lefty playing 2nd base, throwing to the SS on a the 4-6-3, has an easier throw than a righty. You have a very good ability to hear only what you want to hear, instead of actually listening to the other guy. Maybe if you listened to other people, instead of yelling over and over again "I don't want to hear it", you could actually comprehend what they're saying.

I would never say the statement you just said I did, because if that was true, more teams would play lefties at those positions...lefties have a huge disadvantage there in general...the one exception is a 2nd baseman turning a 4-6-3...I would appreciate you not putting words in my mouth. I can put my own foot in my mouth enough.

I don't care why you left. I have let the issue go, and will continue to do so. It's simply not an issue to me.

And obviously I'm not the only one who believes that you pitch to the next batter, but hey, if you want to continue to defend your position, I'd love to hear your logic. Why don't you stay away from character attacks and instead actually debate the issue? But that's right, I'm clueless, you're right, Max, Randy, and most of the other people here, we're all wrong on this one.
DavidK44 is offline   Reply With Quote