General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

A good hitter is great unless...

This is a discussion on A good hitter is great unless... within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
he is GREEDY/STUPID. My God, if you're a "power hitter" with a reputation, and the other team wants to pitch ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 02:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Name: Andy
Default A good hitter is great unless...

he is GREEDY/STUPID. My God, if you're a "power hitter" with a reputation, and the other team wants to pitch around you...take it as a compliment. There's this guy we played against tonight with so much potential... good kid, great swing. He swung at a 3-1 garbage pitch 3 times and popped it up. We weren't giving him anything to hit. But, he wanted to be selfish and greedy and cost his team some runs.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: B

Tis true, it is just a lack of discipline.
But playing devils advocate: I am truly out there to win. However, if I am walking all the time I am really not having nearly as much fun. Maybe if I hit bp on a regular basis it would be a lil different, but I don't get alot of swings so I feel a little cheated when I don't get to swing. I will take the walk regardless if it is REAL garbage, but if game is out of hand and it is close, I will swing.
And I don't get pitched around, so take that as you will.
Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Tom

Our team rule unless we are up 8 or 9 and its a garbage team is you do NOT swing on 3-1. From the stand point of a pitcher also you get mad when your pitching your ass off and your own teammate lets the opposing teams pitcher off the hook by swinging away. Its a huge no no and being disciplined at the plate is what seperates the men from the boys any day of the week.

As far as power hitters are concerned, yes the homerun helps offensively and it can break the other teams spirit some. But I'll take a guy who hits no homeruns and hits .600 over a douchebag who wants to flex guns all day and hits .350. This character doesnt get asked to play with us the following season period.

Ha I just saw my new AVATAR rock on LoL. I would bet I owe a thanks to Bird for that, Thankya Boidy.

Last edited by AVALANCHE#50; 09-27-2011 at 04:10 AM.
AVALANCHE#50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

If it's 3-1, and it's a cookie, odds are it's gonna be the best pitch you see in the AB.... screw it, if it's something you can hit, hit it. It's softball ffs.
murc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

As a rule I never swing at 3-1. If the second pitch is a strike its not going to look any nicer than the third strike. I would rather win and have a bad game than lose and have a great game. Softball is a team sport but it takes a group of guys to succeed individually for a team to win.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: Anthony

In tourney ball, i will sit on a 3-1 count. In league, if I like it im going to swing.
meskin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Leading Off

Name: Bud

Originally Posted by BIRDMAN View Post
As a rule I never swing at 3-1. If the second pitch is a strike its not going to look any nicer than the third strike. I would rather win and have a bad game than lose and have a great game. Softball is a team sport but it takes a group of guys to succeed individually for a team to win.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Get a Droid bionic

You aren't a great hitter unless you can hit at least .600 without using the long ball

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Chris

Originally Posted by murc View Post
If it's 3-1, and it's a cookie, odds are it's gonna be the best pitch you see in the AB.... screw it, if it's something you can hit, hit it. It's softball ffs.
This ^
Chrisklol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Tom

Originally Posted by AVALANCHE#50 View Post
Our team rule unless we are up 8 or 9 and its a garbage team is you do NOT swing on 3-1. From the stand point of a pitcher also you get mad when your pitching your ass off and your own teammate lets the opposing teams pitcher off the hook by swinging away. Its a huge no no and being disciplined at the plate is what seperates the men from the boys any day of the week.

As far as power hitters are concerned, yes the homerun helps offensively and it can break the other teams spirit some. But I'll take a guy who hits no homeruns and hits .600 over a douchebag who wants to flex guns all day and hits .350. This character doesnt get asked to play with us the following season period.

Ha I just saw my new AVATAR rock on LoL. I would bet I owe a thanks to Bird for that, Thankya Boidy.
Guys It was this philosophy that won my team a USSSA state tournament. An unselfish group of guys ranging from 42 down to 23 years old. The four 20 year old guys all got it when it came to discipline at the plate. If just one of them went renegade and started swinging selfishly we would have never won it. You sometimes half to throw away your learned theories and listen to other experienced ideas.
AVALANCHE#50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Chris

Originally Posted by AVALANCHE#50 View Post
Guys It was this philosophy that won my team a USSSA state tournament. An unselfish group of guys ranging from 42 down to 23 years old. The four 20 year old guys all got it when it came to discipline at the plate. If just one of them went renegade and started swinging selfishly we would have never won it. You sometimes half to throw away your learned theories and listen to other experienced ideas.
No doubt that if it's important game I will take the walk. League games I am swinging away. Just say'n
Chrisklol is offline   Reply With Quote