General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Firecracker stuff....from a first-timer

This is a discussion on Firecracker stuff....from a first-timer within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
Hey Gang, I popped my Firecracker cherry this weekend and I had a BLAST: My highlights: 1) Watching the 1st ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2007, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Firecracker stuff....from a first-timer

Hey Gang,

I popped my Firecracker cherry this weekend and I had a BLAST:

My highlights:
1) Watching the 1st One Source - Checking game on Saturday evening !! Wow, what a game featuring some VERY TALENTED softball players. I felt bad for the Checking pitcher (TJ I think?), he took a beating in that game and he was probably a very sore man when they played again on Sunday. Both teams hit the CRAP out of the ball, and there had to be 100 or more people watching the game at it's high point.
2) Getting to see some old faces like Kenny(Max), PST Frank, Dan(Down + Hard), and many others that are not usually all in the same place at the same time, due to the different classes of ball they play.
3) Getting to play Katama and almost beat them !! We had them on the ropes and we were robbed by the umpire in the last inning as we fell short 21-20.
4) Hanging out with my team and bonding in the hotel. This may not have helped us this weekend, but it will be good for team chemistry in the future.
5) Well run and highly organized tournament !! Beer at the PLEX is a winning formula, I might move there just for that !!

My LOWLIGHTS:
1) Driving all that way to play TWO local Long Island teams.
2) After playing pretty decent on Saturday....we got stuck playing Precision Audio (C Team) in the lower bracket 1st thing Sunday morning. Unlucky draw for us and we were beaten as soon as we walked up to the field. Guys hanging their heads and doing the famous OH SHIT......

Overall, I had a great weekend and I look forward to seeing everyone again next year.

Rueb

Old 06-25-2007, 12:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
SFZ Addict

Name: Kris

That cool JRueb, always a fun time traveling away with the team. I had great time down there this weekend too. I'm tired as fuck right now though. I got to meet Cowboy from the board (great guy) and it was fun to swing away and not worry about the OE for a change. I ran into Randy unexpectedly in Meriden. All in all a great time this weekend. I'll sleep well tonight...
Old 06-25-2007, 01:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Leading Off

Definetty always good running into or hanging with any of you, by far my highlight
Old 06-25-2007, 01:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
SFZ Addict

I didn't forget you either Dave. I wish i could've hung around longer on Saturday. The wedding that i went to btw, was open bar..
Old 06-25-2007, 01:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Star Player

Rueb, at least you got to stay down there. We started at 9am in bristol, finished at 4pm and then had to play at 10pm in North Branford. We finished up at 11:30 and we were the last people to leave the very dark complex....

Jay Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
SFZ Addict

Originally Posted by typer
Rueb, at least you got to stay down there. We started at 9am in bristol, finished at 4pm and then had to play at 10pm in North Branford. We finished up at 11:30 and we were the last people to leave the very dark complex....
Holy fuck, thats a long day/night right there Typer...
Old 06-25-2007, 02:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Originally Posted by JRueb72
Hey Gang,

I popped my Firecracker cherry this weekend and I had a BLAST:

My highlights:
1) Watching the 1st One Source - Checking game on Saturday evening !! Wow, what a game featuring some VERY TALENTED softball players. I felt bad for the Checking pitcher (TJ I think?), he took a beating in that game and he was probably a very sore man when they played again on Sunday. Both teams hit the CRAP out of the ball, and there had to be 100 or more people watching the game at it's high point.
2) Getting to see some old faces like Kenny(Max), PST Frank, Dan(Down + Hard), and many others that are not usually all in the same place at the same time, due to the different classes of ball they play.
3) Getting to play Katama and almost beat them !! We had them on the ropes and we were robbed by the umpire in the last inning as we fell short 21-20.
4) Hanging out with my team and bonding in the hotel. This may not have helped us this weekend, but it will be good for team chemistry in the future.
5) Well run and highly organized tournament !! Beer at the PLEX is a winning formula, I might move there just for that !!

My LOWLIGHTS:
1) Driving all that way to play TWO local Long Island teams.
2) After playing pretty decent on Saturday....we got stuck playing Precision Audio (C Team) in the lower bracket 1st thing Sunday morning. Unlucky draw for us and we were beaten as soon as we walked up to the field. Guys hanging their heads and doing the famous OH SHIT......

Overall, I had a great weekend and I look forward to seeing everyone again next year.

Rueb
Should of been there today at our second game with One Source. We won 28-26 on a walk off homerun. It was back and forth all game. Us up 5 to them up 5 then back to us. Best game we played in all weekend.
CJ1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
SFZ Legend

Name: sparky
Default yup...

Originally Posted by CJ1488
Should of been there today at our second game with One Source. We won 28-26 on a walk off homerun. It was back and forth all game. Us up 5 to them up 5 then back to us. Best game we played in all weekend.

a great game...people kept walking by asking who was winning and it changed every half inning...great win for you guys...

"it's all about ME!!!"
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Red Shirt Freshman

Name: Max

Originally Posted by CJ1488
You means besides the Universe game...right? Who were you? Where did you play? I was the fat catcher whining about the arc all game long.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Thanks Randy!

Originally Posted by Gags
I ran into Randy unexpectedly in Meriden...
Hereís the story of how Randy wound up in Meriden. Most of our team (Enviro/Boulanger) had come down on Friday night from New Hampshire with a couple of exceptions, including our regular pitcher. He never showed on Saturday. We still havenít heard from him so we donít know yet why he didnít make it yet. Anyways, our backup pitcher is usually competent but on Saturday he couldnít throw strikes so we were absolutely crushed in our first two bracket games without much hope of turning anything around.

Now we have two hours til the next bracket game to find a pitcher who could get the ball over the plate. Not surprisingly, no one from back home was willing or able to drive three hours at a momentís notice to fill in on Saturday night. Bastards! Next move was to call Travis from McWorlds. His team was in RI and I know he has a few guys who can pitch. Nothing to lose by asking him for a loaner. As expected, he couldnít spare anyone but he played with Randy a few years ago and gave me his phone number. I called him, he was free and he basically saved the weekend for us. We got crushed by VP Electric in the third bracket game, but it was because they hit and played better than us, not because we were walking a ton of guys.

We beat Taconic in our first playoff game, then lost 19-18 to Dinardo/Galemba (lots of good young hitters on that team) late Saturday night and lost by four runs to Fonzieís on Sunday morning. 1-2 isnít a great result but at least we got to play three fun, competitive games, which almost certainly wouldnít have happened without Randy.

So, from the entire team, thank you Randy!
John H is offline   Reply With Quote