General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Errant throws killing us

This is a discussion on Errant throws killing us within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
Last night we're playing a weak team and as usual, we probably gave them an extra 4 or 5 runs ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Gern
Default Errant throws killing us

Last night we're playing a weak team and as usual, we probably gave them an extra 4 or 5 runs because every single person thinks they're going to throw out someone they have no business trying to throw out. Every throw was too high or two low or they were too far away to make the throw or the person cant handle the throw sent to them. I don't know how to get this team to stop doing this. Just let them take the base instead of throwing too high, they tehn get a free score and everyone gets an extra base for no reason. Drives me nuts. I'd estimate there were at least 6 throws last night that should have just been held.

We won 16-9 but it should ahve been 16-5 at the minimum.

Chimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

That shit drives me nuts. Some people can be reasoned with and eventually get it. Others don't give a damn and are hopeless.

" Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest"
-Mahatma Ghandi
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: CB

Well tell them to knock that shit off.

Now baiting people by acting like your throwing home & throwing to pitcher works like a charm lol. I'll cut the throw off from home & catch one of the beer bellies stranded
oppo likes this.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Star Player

...and don't hold the damned thing forever in the outfield. Hit your cutoff or the correct base and get the damned thing in.

If you are in RC with runners on first and second tagging, why the hell are trying to throw to third instead of second, especially when the faster runner is on second?

Don't try to be a hero and throw home when the runner is 2 steps from the plate just to watch the double play dissapear as the runner you should have held at firsr is now on second or third.

If you are in the infield, what the hell is so hard about making a reasonably accurate throw 90' or less?

If you are the recipient of a throw, before you worry about anything else, worry about catching the damned ball. It doesn't matter how fast your swipe tag is if the ball isn't in your glove.

" Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest"
-Mahatma Ghandi
Old 09-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Holding the ball in the outfield drives me nuts too, I see this a lot in coed.

I get this too, short scoops a grounder, tosses to 2nd who gets the lead runner. There's no way to get the guy going to first time for the DP but second ALWAYS has to try and throw to first anyway, becuase the throw is now hurried, either goes in the dirt or over the first baseman's head so now the runner is at second. Just hold the damned ball. I never get this. They always think "this is the time I'm going to fire the ball and get the batter out too." Get this at least once a game on every team I'm on.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: Aaron

Originally Posted by oppo View Post
...and don't hold the damned thing forever in the outfield. Hit your cutoff or the correct base and get the damned thing in.
Are you one of those guys who yells at outfielders to get the ball in before the ball even gets to their glove? I'm not making the throw until I'm set.
fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Originally Posted by fleet View Post
Are you one of those guys who yells at outfielders to get the ball in before the ball even gets to their glove? I'm not making the throw until I'm set.
I don't yell at anyone to do anything.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Star Player

Originally Posted by fleet View Post
Not at all, I am talking about the dipshits who hold the ball so long that I could go take a shit and still be back before the ball reaches the infield.

-Mahatma Ghandi
Old 09-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Star Player

Originally Posted by Chimpy View Post
I don't yell at anyone to do anything.
I will yell at times but it is either 2, 3, 4, or hold it depending on the circumstances. Occasionally, if I already left to take a shit and get back to find the ball still in the outfield, THEN I will holler to get it in.

-Mahatma Ghandi
Old 09-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Originally Posted by oppo View Post
Not at all, I am talking about the dipshits who hold the ball so long that I could go take a shit and still be back before the ball reaches the infield.
My one coed team is in the playoffs a couple weeks ago, I've got this girl who was a late season replacement playng second, she's not bad at all, she gets a ball from the outfielder in short right and just stands there holding the ball as the runners are rounding the bases as if she's waiting for htem to notice she CAN throw the ball in if she wants, but she's not. She's just standing there. I fnially did yell there - THROW THE BALL! and finally she throws it to me at short, which did nothing since I wasn't by a base as the runners take one more free base. I think the guy who hit the ball would have had a single, ended up with a 2 run triple because she just stood there for what reason I do not know. Amazing.