General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

E Tourney in RI yesterday...

This is a discussion on E Tourney in RI yesterday... within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
I finally witnessed (and yes, ended up playing in) my first E Tourney yesterday in Pawtucket RI...and I now realize ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2007, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default E Tourney in RI yesterday...

I finally witnessed (and yes, ended up playing in) my first E Tourney yesterday in Pawtucket RI...and I now realize why E ball is where it's at right now. I went down to watch my buddies from Cabbyshack play in the B Nationals...and ran into Jim Poole who I've known since I was about 8...and turned out his team needed a guy to play so that they didn't have to play with 9, so after taking 2 weeks off and going back to the gym (being stiff as a board), I said ok I'll play.

Let me just say that in a division that there are no HR Allowed, I saw WAY TOO MANY HR from guys that "are getting into tournament ball"...I mean 1 or 2 b/c a guy nutted a ball is one thing, but dudes were hitting piss-rods out at like 3-4 a GAME!!!!

Maybe these guys still can't hit them in D's b/c there's no HR, but I mean come on fellas...you can obviously play...step up and play AT LEAST D!!!

JayDub: if i had that bat on Sat morning i could have stuck it in the ground and dried up my field
lombo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

I was watching them play between our games and they were hitting more homeruns than us.
johnnybluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Red Shirt Freshman

Name: Max

A lot of it has to do with the bats. You don't have to be good to hit the ball hard any more. You can have zero defensive ability or a total lack of speed/reflexes and not know a team that needs a catcher/EH. You could have zero hand/eye coordination so can't carry a decent average to play up at all or you could just be bagging. Just saying that the bats make the HR rules a lot less effective in stratifying the players on various levels. Not that they were a perfect system before but definitely not now.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Ronnie

There are some RI E teams that are definitly D and probably could compete in C. Sandbagging in RI is rediculous!
Spos21ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Dan

Remember this though from the Utrip guidelines -
Article IV
Sec 6. (b)
The main criteria for classifying teams is the overall strength of the team
offensively and defensively regardless of whether the team has any home run
hitters. Example: Depending on the strength of the offense and defense, a
team with no home run hitters may be classified Major, A, B, C, D,
or E.
dychen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

I played in that E tournament yesterday as well. Those fields that the E played on are 275-280 max. The B was playing on a 310' field.

Most homeruns I saw were clearing the fences by 10-15 feet. They would've been popups on a bigger field. The 3rd field at that complex has another fence about 20 feet behind it. I only saw one HR clear both fences.
pompetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
SFZ Legend

Name: sparky
Default lol...

speaking of B's...this team playing E's who we might have to play if we win our first game(hit and run) has players who beat TNT in the B worlds last year...outta be real fun down there...isn't there a sparky in FLA???

http://www.usssa.com/sports/Team3.asp?TeamID=759638

roster

http://www.usssa.com/sports/ViewTeam...ntSeasonOnly=0

even spelled bryan(brian) kirk different...

http://www.usssa.com/sports/ViewTeam...ntSeasonOnly=0

"it's all about ME!!!"
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
SFZ Addict

Name: Kris

Originally Posted by kill_it_34
I finally witnessed (and yes, ended up playing in) my first E Tourney yesterday in Pawtucket RI...and I now realize why E ball is where it's at right now. I went down to watch my buddies from Cabbyshack play in the B Nationals...and ran into Jim Poole who I've known since I was about 8...and turned out his team needed a guy to play so that they didn't have to play with 9, so after taking 2 weeks off and going back to the gym (being stiff as a board), I said ok I'll play.

Let me just say that in a division that there are no HR Allowed, I saw WAY TOO MANY HR from guys that "are getting into tournament ball"...I mean 1 or 2 b/c a guy nutted a ball is one thing, but dudes were hitting piss-rods out at like 3-4 a GAME!!!!

Maybe these guys still can't hit them in D's b/c there's no HR, but I mean come on fellas...you can obviously play...step up and play AT LEAST D!!!

I let this one go all day. I'm surprised nobody gave a comment. He's telling us to at least play D yet he plays in an E tourney?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Leading Off

Originally Posted by Gags
I let this one go all day. I'm surprised nobody gave a comment. He's telling us to at least play D yet he plays in an E tourney?
He's just taking your lead.
I hate you with a deep and total hatred that surpasses all hate that has ever been or ever will be.
STINGOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
SFZ Addict

Name: Kris

Originally Posted by STINGOLA
He's just taking your lead.
Well tell him to stop...