General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Demarini topspin

This is a discussion on Demarini topspin within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
I was watching a video with Ray Demarini and he was talking about using topspin because it is easier to ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 05:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: Neil
Default Demarini topspin

I was watching a video with Ray Demarini and he was talking about using topspin because it is easier to drop the ball between the IF and OF than to find holes in the defense. It sounds plausible, but has anyone tried this. I've seen lots of threads about cutting the ball to make it carry better, but haven't seen anything on topspin to do the opposite and drop it in. Any thoughts on this?

Ralcyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: Andy

That probably worked better with the bats and balls used at the time. It could be done like that now, but would probably be tougher to do. Just hit the ball hard (preferably not right at someone), and things tend to take care of themselves after that.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: Nick

It makes sense, topspin makes a ball dive and thats what you want it to do to drop in front of the outfield. Backspin for the longball.
Ralcyna likes this.
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Yes, if the ball is a bit high, I will swing straight at it toward the top of the ball. Results in basically a nasty curveball.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Chris

I actually switched last week to working on hitting the top half of the ball and getting that top spin to drop hard liners into the grass. It works out amazingly well once you find the rythm.
Chrisklol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chrisklol View Post
I actually switched last week to working on hitting the top half of the ball and getting that top spin to drop hard liners into the grass. It works out amazingly well once you find the rythm.
it can also end in dribblers to the pitcher if you miss just a little. I just shoot for the middle of the ball with a slight uppercut. If I nail it, it will go for a ride. If I miss it's usually a knuckle ball line drive. I rarely hit pop ups or weak ground balls.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Originally Posted by BIRDMAN View Post
it can also end in dribblers to the pitcher if you miss just a little. I just shoot for the middle of the ball with a slight uppercut. If I nail it, it will go for a ride. If I miss it's usually a knuckle ball line drive. I rarely hit pop ups or weak ground balls.
Since I have switched to hitting with top spin i am batting over 850. Including the tournament last weekend.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chrisklol View Post
Since I have switched to hitting with top spin i am batting over 850. Including the tournament last weekend.
good for you, sounds like you've really been practicing hard to get that consistent.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Originally Posted by BIRDMAN View Post
good for you, sounds like you've really been practicing hard to get that consistent.
Yea i am taking this week off of BP. But normally i hit daily or damn near every day.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: Neil

I think I'm gonna give this a try in BP. I hate it when I'm trying to drop it in between the IF and the OF, and it carries right to the outfielder. Thanks for the input guys.
Ralcyna is offline   Reply With Quote