General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Custom pitching helmets???

This is a discussion on Custom pitching helmets??? within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
I know pitching masks and helmets are a topic of discussion more lately and was wondering what mask some of ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 02:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Josh
Default Custom pitching helmets???

I know pitching masks and helmets are a topic of discussion more lately and was wondering what mask some of you prefer. Also if you have thought of or have some customized helmets to show off??
I also do airbrush work after my day job and have hooked up both of my helmets with some paint jobs.
My first helmet/mask is a Warrior lacrosse helmet. I had the cage powder coated to a red kandy from chrome to match the paint job a little better.

"If your not willing to learn, no one can help you. If your determined to learn, then no one can stop you!!"

Old 11-14-2013, 02:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Custom pitching helmets???

My other and newest mask is the worth version. Can't stand the foam inside but it is much cooler on my head in the summer months. Also had the cage powder coated black.

"If your not willing to learn, no one can help you. If your determined to learn, then no one can stop you!!"
chrometip78 likes this.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Justin

I like that first one. I use a Cascade CPX-R.
Miken: 25 NRGFP; 26 ASA Recoil 180; 27 MV-1 bal, Psycho bal
Anderson: 27 OGRT, TZRB, Nano Alpha
Bass: 26 Mandingo Revamp; 27 Mandingo
Boombah: 26 Proto
Worth: 27 ASA Legit bal

Mizuno: GCP79S
Vinci: BMB-L Black, PJV416 Black, 13.25" mod trap
LTB/LTTF: 26/27oz Combat OG B1, 26/27oz OG Ultra, 27oz OG UII
jstn8887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Originally Posted by jstn8887 View Post
I like that first one. I use a Cascade CPX-R.
Thanks!! I'm working on getting ahold of a cpx-r myself. I like that they have the adjustable ratchet strap to hold it on your head tighter. The warrior only has different foam pads to snug it up. It still flops a good bit when fielding.

The worth helmet design is perfect but made so cheaply, I'm not happy with it at all!! The foam inserts are already rotting away and I have only had it for 2-3 months. And the ratchet star design on it is only hot glued in and has already came out twice.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Football Bat View Post
Thanks!! I'm working on getting ahold of a cpx-r myself. I like that they have the adjustable ratchet strap to hold it on your head tighter. The warrior only has different foam pads to snug it up. It still flops a good bit when fielding.

The worth helmet design is perfect but made so cheaply, I'm not happy with it at all!! The foam inserts are already rotting away and I have only had it for 2-3 months. And the ratchet star design on it is only hot glued in and has already came out twice.

You're welcome. If I get some extra money sometime, I may hit you up to see if you want to repaint my helmet.

The CPX-R is nice. It's pretty much a one-size-fits-all helmet; it is very adjustable. I like that I can adjust it up or down a size if I decide to wear a warm UnderArmour skullcap under it when it's cold out. I always wear one of the heatgear type of UnderArmour skullcaps to keep sweat from dripping into my eyes because I sweat a lot. I also put one of those UnderArmour chin strap covers for football on the provided chin strap to help absorb sweat and keep the chinstrap from slipping around and getting overly slick from sweat. And the top t-bar was cut out with a dremel for better vision.

I've never tried the Worth helmet. I figure that if I am going to wear a helmet, I want something that completely covers my head instead of something with only a partial helmet. I see the Worth helmet as a poor compromise between a facemask and a full helmet.

I also have a Combat FaceOff mask that I have worn to play infield from time to time. It's more for bad hops than hits that I don't get time to react to. The CPX-R seems more secure on my head than the FaceOff, though. I prefer the CPX-R over the FaceOff, but the field of vision is slightly better for ground balls with the FaceOff because of the opaque chinguard of the CPX-R.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Originally Posted by jstn8887 View Post
You're welcome. If I get some extra money sometime, I may hit you up to see if you want to repaint my helmet.

The CPX-R is nice. It's pretty much a one-size-fits-all helmet; it is very adjustable. I like that I can adjust it up or down a size if I decide to wear a warm UnderArmour skullcap under it when it's cold out. I always wear one of the heatgear type of UnderArmour skullcaps to keep sweat from dripping into my eyes because I sweat a lot. I also put one of those UnderArmour chin strap covers for football on the provided chin strap to help absorb sweat and keep the chinstrap from slipping around and getting overly slick from sweat. And the top t-bar was cut out with a dremel for better vision.

I've never tried the Worth helmet. I figure that if I am going to wear a helmet, I want something that completely covers my head instead of something with only a partial helmet. I see the Worth helmet as a poor compromise between a facemask and a full helmet.

I also have a Combat FaceOff mask that I have worn to play infield from time to time. It's more for bad hops than hits that I don't get time to react to. The CPX-R seems more secure on my head than the FaceOff, though. I prefer the CPX-R over the FaceOff, but the field of vision is slightly better for ground balls with the FaceOff because of the opaque chinguard of the CPX-R.
Heck yeah, hit me up if you want something done for sure!!
The biggest plus side to the worth (IMO), is that it sits snug to your face and you don't have the chin bar in your view when fielding. My warrior helmet is the same way, and when fielding grounders or knee high shots, it does mess me up a slight bit.
I really hope to find a good deal on a cpx-r. Maybe find someone sleeping on eBay and pick one up cheap. I got my warrior helmet for $45 brand new with tags. The normally run about the same as the cpx-r, and now I know why I got such a deal.
Also once I get the cpx-r the first thing I will be getting is a tinted visor shield. It seems that whoever designed our fields at our league, put the pitcher looking directly in the sun.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Jesse

How do you keep them from getting scratched up? That's my biggest issue with painting one as much as I'd like to. If I have to run to back up a play or field a ball I fling it off and wherever it lands it lands.
LSX Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Originally Posted by LSX Freak View Post
How do you keep them from getting scratched up? That's my biggest issue with painting one as much as I'd like to. If I have to run to back up a play or field a ball I fling it off and wherever it lands it lands.
There really is no way of keeping them perfect, especially doing like that, lol! But I do it to I use an automotive clear coat with hardener in it, and put 3 good coats on it. That at least lets you cut and polish it later. But the deep scratches are always going to be there.
I guess that's the beauty of me doing it and not having to pay to get it done. It's a killer conversation piece on tournament days. I have hung out with and got to meet some cool people from the game that I may have never met because of them. And also got quite a few free beers too

Old 11-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Originally Posted by LSX Freak View Post
Don't take it off?

But seriously, I usually wear a lacrosse helmet, which has 4 points where it snaps on, like a football helmet, so it's too hard to remove in the middle of a play, so that's not an issue if concern for me.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Daniel

bro throw your price out there. those are the best ones I've seen done yet.
Email with questions [email protected]
Dgambill85 is offline   Reply With Quote