General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Cursing at the Field

This is a discussion on Cursing at the Field within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
I have always been of a mindset that this is America and we're entitled to free speech. I understand having ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about cursing at the ballfield?
Cursing at yourself is always acceptable. Freedom of speech! 18 27.69%
It's ok in tourneys but not in league. 4 6.15%
It's ok as long as no women/children are around 23 35.38%
I wish you wouldn't do it but I understand if you let one slip occasionally 19 29.23%
Cursing is a sign of the apocalypse and should be an automatic ejection 1 1.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2007, 02:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Red Shirt Freshman

Name: Max
Default Cursing at the Field

I have always been of a mindset that this is America and we're entitled to free speech. I understand having some limits at the field like you can't curse at the other team but if I fly out ineffectively in a big spot, I fully reserve the right to drop and F-Bomb all over myself.

It's not my fault that you (whoever) can't get out of the house without wife and or kids. That's your problem. I don't mind that they are at the field, but I shouldn't have to curb my behavior for your inability to be independent enough to leave the house on your own.

This is geared towards tournament play where men gather to compete against each other and blow off some steam. I understand that there are some 2nd rate leagues where the entire purpose of the night is for all the families to get together and yammer away and socialize and that's fine. Still not my problem but I understand the diff between that and a competitive tourney.

There are guys on my team who bring their kids to the game and they and their kids know that they're going to hear some language that they may not want them to hear. Of course in this day and age they'll hear far worse when Daddy's sports team loses or when Daddy's watching HBO or from the kids at school but heaven help us all if he hears it from some stranger. As for your girlfriend/wife, this isn't the 1950's. Females aren't delicate creatures that need protecting. They're adults too and if they don't like what I have to say then they can stay home.

Does ANYBODY agree with me???

Old 05-30-2007, 02:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
1st Place Bruins

I try not to curse when I'm playing softball if there are kids around. I could care less about the women but I don't think we need to teach the kids swear words even though they will learn them else where anyways.
DaveTBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
SFZ Addict

Name: Kris

Wow, good question. I used to be a big abuser of swearing at the field. League or tournament, it didn't matter. I don't believe tournaments are a good place for families to be at, so if you let one slip, so be it. I think since i have a kid now with another one on the way, it has mellowed me big time. I won't even get into leagues because there are so many different types out there. I'd say use your own judgement on that.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Leading Off

Originally Posted by Max Johnson
I have always been of a mindset that this is America and we're entitled to free speech. I understand having some limits at the field like you can't curse at the other team but if I fly out ineffectively in a big spot, I fully reserve the right to drop and F-Bomb all over myself.

It's not my fault that you (whoever) can't get out of the house without wife and or kids. That's your problem. I don't mind that they are at the field, but I shouldn't have to curb my behavior for your inability to be independent enough to leave the house on your own.

This is geared towards tournament play where men gather to compete against each other and blow off some steam. I understand that there are some 2nd rate leagues where the entire purpose of the night is for all the families to get together and yammer away and socialize and that's fine. Still not my problem but I understand the diff between that and a competitive tourney.

There are guys on my team who bring their kids to the game and they and their kids know that they're going to hear some language that they may not want them to hear. Of course in this day and age they'll hear far worse when Daddy's sports team loses or when Daddy's watching HBO or from the kids at school but heaven help us all if he hears it from some stranger. As for your girlfriend/wife, this isn't the 1950's. Females aren't delicate creatures that need protecting. They're adults too and if they don't like what I have to say then they can stay home.

Does ANYBODY agree with me???
I think you said it best by differentiating between competitive tourneys and league ball. At a tournament, yeah, no one should complain that a batter dropped a fuck or a motherfucker when he's bitching about his own hitting...but in league ball where it's all about just kicking back with friends having a good time, no need for that shit.

Dave
DavidK44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would agree that at league games it should be kept to a minimum (if possible) but at tourneys it's fair game. I take my son to a few a year and he knows what he hears should not be repeated.
BigJoeDe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: Aaron

It's never you or me that seems to get offended... it's always just the UMP that when he puts on his Blue or Red uniform, becomes over sensative.

Was in Virginia over the weekend, and you couldnt even say "dammit".
Nuccx2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Never mind softball. I curse in the course of regular conversation. I make an effort to not curse around kids but otherwise I am just chatting away and you can expect to hear fuck and shit often.

Originally Posted by Shine 52
The ball is thrown underhanded and comes in at 5 mph.
Originally Posted by Max Johnson
There were a few balls yesterday that got up to 6, 7 and even 8 mph.
Ryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Leading Off

Default I agree....

With you Ken. I have a son and I will be the (2nd) biggest offender behind you in terms of throwing an "F" bomb after making an error in the field or blowing a big at bat... That's the competitive nature of the game and the guys who play it.
I expect others to do so as well and know that whenI take my son to a game to expect hearing those things and then if needed to explain to him that those are "big people" words and not to be repeated.. There is a difference on what is expected at least on what you think you would hear at a league game or tournament but let's be realistic here.. Guys swear up and down in league play too so there's no difference on where to take the family anymore... I have seen more fights both physically and verbally in league play moreso than tourneys! Am I wrong?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
SFZ Addict

Name: Kris

Originally Posted by MSnyder
I have seen more fights both physically and verbally in league play moreso than tourneys! Am I wrong?
I actually have seen the other way around my friend. I have seen some of the worst fights in Tourneys and not much at all in league.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Nuccx2001
It's never you or me that seems to get offended... it's always just the UMP that when he puts on his Blue or Red uniform, becomes over sensative.

Was in Virginia over the weekend, and you couldnt even say "dammit".
I've had I guy on or team last year that was ejected for saying "damn". I agree that some umps are way over sentitive.

I myself curse alot in just everyday conversations. So Max, I agree with your views 100% on this. Curse all you want, just not at the other team.