General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Composite bats deemed illegal?

This is a discussion on Composite bats deemed illegal? within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
This is the 2nd year our team is in this city league, and in our first game of the new ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By hb2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 07:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: dan
Question Composite bats deemed illegal?

This is the 2nd year our team is in this city league, and in our first game of the new season yesterday, we had an ump we'd never had before checking all our bats. Basically, any bat that said 'Composite' was out. Luckily, we had a couple of aluminum bats lying around that we ended up using.

This is one of the bats that the ump said no to --
Amazon.com : Easton SP13L6 L6.0 Composite ASA Slow Pitch Softball Bat (1-Piece), 34/27, White : Slowpitch Softball Bats : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com : Easton SP13L6 L6.0 Composite ASA Slow Pitch Softball Bat (1-Piece), 34/27, White : Slowpitch Softball Bats : Sports & Outdoors

I don't have a copy of last year's rules, so I can't check if the rules got changed (since last year the umps never checked any bats, not even once), but this year's rules state this --

B. Bats must be single wall OR single wall with a composite handle OR wooden ASA approved softball bats. BASEBALL BATS OF ANY KIND ARE NOT PERMITTED.
Please pardon my noobiness, but can composite bats ever be considered 'single wall' (and if so how does one prove it to the ump)?

dandelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

They didn't write the rule very well but it certainly appears that their intention is to only allow single wall metal bats and of course wood. They need to rewrite the rule to add clarity.

" Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest"
-Mahatma Ghandi
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: Aaron

two words. plausible deniability.
fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
hb2
Mod'ing aint Easy

Name: Jay

Originally Posted by fleet View Post
two words. plausible deniability.
-Independence day

fleet and oppo like this.
hb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: dan

Heh, thanks guys. I'm interested to see who the ump is next week, and if he'll do the same.
dandelos is offline   Reply With Quote