General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

combat fielding mask

This is a discussion on combat fielding mask within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
Trying to get some freed back on the combat face off mask. Pro's con's likes dislike's. I've been pitching for ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Thad
Default combat fielding mask

Trying to get some freed back on the combat face off mask. Pro's con's likes dislike's. I've been pitching for awhile and starting to play higher decision ball. After a few near misses from guys who hit rockets. It's time to step up the safety specially seeing a few pitchers get leveled by some line drive.

Last edited by Doctor Watson; 08-28-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Doctor Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: D J

Great mask, all around. No cons.
I now use a goalie mask
oilslick58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

I consider a goalie style mask, but the summers in my area 110 degree plus is to hot. Thats why I'm thinking face off look light, breathable and I'm hoping tuff.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Got the mask it's comfortable and seems like I built well. Luckly I have put it to the test yet. Few guys were making fun of me going to a mask, till sadly a young pitch got tagged.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Duane

A few pitchers here wear them, and even a position player or 2. At least one pitcher wears a full helmet/mask. I haven't heard anyone making fun of them. I've considered wearing a mask playing third, especially after a guy hit a rocket right at my face. Thank God I caught it, or I wouldn't be typing this now. It even scared the hitter. He hit everything to right for the rest of the game and the next, partly due to to respect, and partly for fear I wouldn't catch the next one. That was in July. Just finished the season and still haven't worn the mask.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Phillip

2 weeks ago a ss took a line drive off the face on the field next to ours in the playoffs. wear what you want the wambulance on the field isnt worth not doing it over being macho. I play in the grass if i get hit in the face i expect people to point and laugh.
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Paul

Had a question for all if you don't mind, I am a pitcher in the market for a decent Mask to wear for the upcoming Spring Season, and I've been leaning towards the Worth SBPH Type Model.

But I was curious as to if anyone knows if other Pitchers around the country simply buy others masks as well to suffice? Such as Goalie style Catchers Masks, etc.

Just trying to gather all I can about what types people wear and all that before purchasing one.

Thanks!
pmack18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Fred

I used the Schutt 122600 Titanium Softball Fielder's Faceguard and really liked it. It was light and strong, though never tested it, and at times didn't even know I had it on. A little more expensive but felt it was worth it getting the titaniumn mask.
PST CLUB MEMBER #1

28.5 oz Ligit ASA HD52 Jeff Hall Reload
28 oz PST98 (BP Bat)(Actual weight 29.2 oz)(BP 22 1/4")
28 oz Worth WS23 (Actual Weight 29.8 oz)
28 oz Worth Black EST (BP 20 3/4") (Actual weight 28.8oz/BP 20 3/8")
27 oz Combat Virus Morphed (Actual wight 27.4 oz)
marlsrsoftball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Paul

Originally Posted by marlsrsoftball View Post
I used the Schutt 122600 Titanium Softball Fielder's Faceguard and really liked it. It was light and strong, though never tested it, and at times didn't even know I had it on. A little more expensive but felt it was worth it getting the titaniumn mask.
Thanks for the information! Always nice to see what other people are doing or might have better thoughts on what works best, much appreciated!
pmack18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Duane

The Worth SBPH looks like a good one. As I stated above, I have a Rip-It mask that I haven't worn but plan to. They are the simplest design out there, but get good reviews. I got this one at Play-it-Again Sports, but did a lot of research and read all the reviews I could. Some of the other simple masks have the bars spaced just far enough apart that a softball can make contact with your face. And stay away from the composite/plastic masks as they can and will break and/or shatter. I was looking at the Champro mask the other day and they look like they should work well - similar to the Rip-It mask but with 2 vertical bars instead of 1.

Of course if you want more protection, go with the Worth SBPH, or a hockey style catcher's helmet. Our pitcher is out for most of the year due to a work injury, so one of the other guys is going to pitch. I have a nice Easton hockey style catcher's helmet he's going to try.