General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

choosing bat weight

This is a discussion on choosing bat weight within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
I play slowpitch softball and am looking to buy a good bat. But before i spend a lot of money ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Fuzz
  • 1 Post By Snowblind

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Brian
Default choosing bat weight

I play slowpitch softball and am looking to buy a good bat. But before i spend a lot of money i want to get your opinions on what bat weight i should use. My natural body weight is 145-150 and i'm 5'6". Recently i've been hitting the gym and my body weight is around the 170lb range. I've never been a homerun hitter. I've always been a base hitter and used my speed to get on base. Anyways having said all that i do want to hit the ball out of the park, but i know this is probably a unrealistic goal for me, so i've decided on a balanced bat. i still want to hit it far though, so if anyone dissagrees with that please say so. my biggest concern is the bat weight. I was leaning towards a 27 ounce bat, but am now thinking 26 ounces. What weight do you recommend??

bpdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Leading Off

Name: Harry

Based on your post, I'd recommend a 26 oz bat. When you get your bat speed above 85 mph, then think about going to a 27 oz bat.
harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Jesse

I have seen guys your size hit their fair share of home runs. All in the swing mechanics.
LSX Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: CB

Im old school. Hold the bat by the end of the handle parallel to the ground with an out stretched arm. If you can hold it without shaking your good.

I'd swing the heaviest bat I could without sacrificing mechanics. its all about maintaining bat speed after contact & swinging all the way thru
defos and Snowblind like this.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Brian

i appreciate all the opinions... thanks
bpdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Phillip

end load or balance/ weight to be honest is a personal choice, I dont like balanced bats or anything under 28oz also personal choice. As a fellow height disadvantaged individual at 5'6" my advice is borrow alot of bats until you find one you like then buy that one or one like it if possible.

As far as weight I second Fuzz but then I'm old, and love the old school 32-34oz bats that you can not find with a new stamp on them.
defos likes this.
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote