General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Bubble game

This is a discussion on Bubble game within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
The game within the game and how many of you play this game. The rules of the game are simple ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Phillip
Default Bubble game

The game within the game and how many of you play this game.

The rules of the game are simple while playing, you guesstimate how much ground those around you can cover(their bubble) factor in what you believe you can cover(your bubble.)

Combine with what you observe of the batter on deck and at the plate, then(outfield for me) ask for on the fly adjustments from your team mates.

Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Jesse

Sounds like a good way to get burnt.
LSX Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Duane

When you play that way you end up putting limits on yourself and expect too much from the guys around you. You tell yourself, "My "bubble" covers from here to there. Any farther, and it's his ball." You don't test or stretch your limits and eventually your bubble shrinks and you're not covering as much area as you could or should. Your teammates have to make up the difference. As a shortstop, I like to turn and run deep into the outfield on fly balls that I know I won't get to, just to see how close I can come (without interferring with the guy who is going to catch it.) Keeps me on my toes and ready and able to chase down those balls the LF can't get to. Go for everything you might be able to get to, and COMMUNICATE with the players around you. Of course infielders have bases to cover, but most of the time somebody should be rotating to cover for you.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
hb2
Mod'ing aint Easy

Name: Jay

This would be fun with our OF. those kids can fly.
hb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: B

I don't know exactly what this is but I am tired. But when I play OF, I judge batters off past experience when possible and their approach at the plate. Playing this game as long as I have, I can get a good judge how deep to play and whether I should shift a little one way or anther. Flawless? Hell no. But it works well enough that I still trust it.
Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Phillip

I call it Bubble game because growing up all the computer baseball games gave the fielders a bubble or area they could cover. Think some had an X to run to

But it is nothing more than what Stork does in game or what MLB managers and most pitchers do in softball with a fielding shift. IE play in play out move left watch the line. this works well for 2 of the teams i play with since our outfield has been together for about 3-5 yrs now, and only gets the pitcher involved if we have a new person out there. basicly they just look to see if we are facing the correct direction and pitch.

And Defos this is no substitute for loafing or not communicating, If we dont back each other up we get to lose the game which none of us want to do. Your example of running after a ball you cant possibly get falls into a "coach that taught you well ingrained it into your play style."

we threw a buy out at the plate when he burned out LC on a 360 foot fence with a 2 man relay to the palte LC RC SS C becuase he loafed the 2nd to home portion or ran out of steam not sure which, Granted they scored 2 but they didnt score the HR.

Last edited by Snowblind; 01-09-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Duane

I wasn't sure where you were going with this and took it to be you were asking us "what's wrong with this picture?". Your last post cleared that up, and I'm on board with what you really meant.

I based my answer on personal experience playing 3rd base 20 years ago after not playing there since LL. I positioned myself off the line, telling myself my territory goes from the foul line to as far as I can go to my left. By thinking my "bubble" stops at the foul line, I was actually treating the line as a barrier I wasn't to cross. I was stopping short, and therefore wasn't even protecting the line. Once I realized my territory included all the foul ground I could cover, I started playing more aggressively and covered the all the area I should have been.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: B

If you play straight up for every batter, you are a fool or a novice. If you have trouble reading batters, your teammates that can should help you out.
And then you have someone to blame if it goes wrong.
Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

I try to do it a lot more often than some of the dummies will actually listen. Not only do I know many of the hitters' tendencys but as the pitcher, I also have the benefit of knowing where the pitch is going to be. When guys get burned because they don't listen and the batter does exactly what I expected him to, it is frustrating.

I remember playing an open tournament a while back and the opposing batter had two strikes and the field played him to pull. Coach swore he would pull the ball. I told him that guy had been hitting oppo since he was in diapers and was gonna pitch him outside. Had they shifted toward right, it would have been an out. They shifted to left and, of course, got burned.

Last fall, I was playing against a buddy who couldn't go oppo if his life depended on it. I told everybody to shift way over toward left and I was pitching inside. They didn't do it. Guess where every ball he hit went? Yep, right inside the third base line where the left fielder should have been.

How about when a guy comes up to bat with turd for a bat and he doesn't know how to use it. You keep telling the outfield to scoot in only to see balls continually drop in front of them.

" Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest"
-Mahatma Ghandi
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

I had another one last summer in a coed league. A girl comes up who I know is a good tournament player swinging a dirty stick. I tell LC to back up. He doesn't. He played really, really shallow and she hit one that landed about 290 and didn't take that long to get there. He backed up next time.

" Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest"
-Mahatma Ghandi
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote