General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Best Softballs

This is a discussion on Best Softballs within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
I know there probably isn't a best softball out there, but I wanted to grab a dozen 52/300 balls to ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2014, 02:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: stephen
Default Best Softballs

I know there probably isn't a best softball out there, but I wanted to grab a dozen 52/300 balls to hit with my new flipper aftermath I have coming in. Any recommendations? Trying to keep it at a reasonable price as well. Found these on Amazon:

Amazon.com : 1 Dozen Evil Bp 12" Softballs - 52cor/.300 Compression AK EVIL BP52 12 Balls : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com : 1 Dozen Evil Bp 12" Softballs - 52cor/.300 Compression AK EVIL BP52 12 Balls : Sports & Outdoors

tbsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Fred

Originally Posted by tbsteve View Post
I know there probably isn't a best softball out there, but I wanted to grab a dozen 52/300 balls to hit with my new flipper aftermath I have coming in. Any recommendations? Trying to keep it at a reasonable price as well. Found these on Amazon:

Amazon.com : 1 Dozen Evil Bp 12" Softballs - 52cor/.300 Compression AK EVIL BP52 12 Balls : Sports & Outdoors
Depends on what you are looking for. Strictly BP then the Evil BP52 is a good ball.

If looking for a good game ball for BP then I would go with the Tattoo's. I just came back for a tournament that used the regular Evil ASA 52/300's and they were awful. I was kind of shocked as I have been using Evils for years and never ran into this with an Evil ball.
PST CLUB MEMBER #1

28.5 oz Ligit ASA HD52 Jeff Hall Reload
28 oz PST98 (BP Bat)(Actual weight 29.2 oz)(BP 22 1/4")
28 oz Worth WS23 (Actual Weight 29.8 oz)
28 oz Worth Black EST (BP 20 3/4") (Actual weight 28.8oz/BP 20 3/8")
27 oz Combat Virus Morphed (Actual wight 27.4 oz)
marlsrsoftball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

Those will work great for bp but I have always used old gameballs.

As for 52/300 game balls, I would go with X-Rock or Tattoo.

" Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest"
-Mahatma Ghandi
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Originally Posted by tbsteve View Post

Amazon.com : 1 Dozen Evil Bp 12" Softballs - 52cor/.300 Compression AK EVIL BP52 12 Balls : Sports & Outdoors
What about used 52/275's. Have some Evil and Trumps that I can't use. They don't work well in my Wheeler Dealer.
PST CLUB MEMBER #1

Old 09-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Joe

Originally Posted by marlsrsoftball View Post
What about used 52/275's. Have some Evil and Trumps that I can't use. They don't work well in my Wheeler Dealer.
Does anybody else think ALL .52's are 275? The ASA are just stamped with 300? I notice zero difference between any ASA .52/300 and classic+ I have.
GrinningBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Originally Posted by GrinningBear View Post
Does anybody else think ALL .52's are 275? The ASA are just stamped with 300? I notice zero difference between any ASA .52/300 and classic+ I have.
I use both in BP and there is not too much difference mostly depending on the brand.

The Tattoo 300's toss better in my WD than the 275's mainly because the Tattoo's are a better ball than the Evil and Trumps that I got.
PST CLUB MEMBER #1

Last edited by marlsrsoftball; 09-12-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for your inputs guys. This league by me gets pretty butt-hurt regarding game balls so I just use the ones they sell. Were you referring to these tho?
ASA TATTOO 12" Composite 52 Core-A.D. STARR
Old 09-13-2014, 02:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

The Tattoo composite is a very good ball for games. The Dudley ZN is another one. The composite Trump has always been good. Are they still calling it the X-Rock? Haven't seen the new ones.

All of those are pretty expensive for BP. The synthetic are way cheaper. Tattoo makes a good, inexpensive synthetic, but honestly I think tattooball left Trump with a good product. I have several dozen Stotes that fly well and are holding up. The ASA stamps seems to wear off easily, though.

The Evil BP balls are popular for a reason, but I found they tend to sail even when hit high. Regular .52's have to rise for distance, not float. I'm not sure what Evil's more expensive "game" ball is, but they've rarely made a bad ball.

The new Hot Dot got some formulaic help and this year's was very good. Totally different ball. Literally. I'll try to post picks of the good and bad ones. Even the original crappy ones have held up very well.

People hate Baden, but they're known for making balls out of spec. The Baden Lexum is hard, makes a sharper crack, and flies better than pretty much any other .52 I've hit. Others have not been so lucky.

I think that's all I've had direct experience with.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Should mention that for some reason Classic + can be bought at a huge discount, and as has been mentioned there's very little to no difference off the bat unless you're comparing a ZN to an original Hot Dot.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

I am limited on my softball knowledge man I appreciate your posts. So what do you recommend for a ball that I can get for practice? Game balls are taken care of, just looking for some good practice balls for ASA.