General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Batting order advice

This is a discussion on Batting order advice within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
We have to win our next game to make it into the playoffs, so I thought I'd stop by here ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2016, 07:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: dan
Default Batting order advice

We have to win our next game to make it into the playoffs, so I thought I'd stop by here to get some input, especially now that we have some decent data.

We will probably only have 11-12 of these players available for the next game, but either way, how would you order them in our batting order based on our stats to-date?

dandelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Tom

Without looking at your stats heres my secret.
1: best on base % plus speed

2: next best on base %

3: purest unselfish best hitter who can hit doubles/trips yet cares not if singles all day.

4: best power hitter yet unselfish

5: your selfish power hitter or big guy next best hitter that if they pitch around 4th hitter he can make them pay so they don't pitch around 4th thus he sees better pitches

6: next fastest Guy that hits oppo

7: next best on base % Guy

8: 3rd best home run hitter on team

9: whoever

10: whoever

11: whoever

12: you if your the Coach

I as Coach always bat last. Then nobody can crybaby at you for your order. Plus it's an important role to string the order back to top. Don't be afraid to take a walk in this role it pisses off pitchers and teams when the last batter walks. Yes I pitch too lol.

Don't let yer MeatLoaf
oppo likes this.
AVALANCHE#50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

It would be tough without knowing a little more about them. I like to place my batters in order so that they compliment each other.

1 - high on base %, good speed, preferably decent power since he will have the bottom hitter on in front of him
2- similar to 1 but usually not as fast
3- most complete hitter
This is where it gets interesting depending on your players. On teams I didn't coach, I often got put into the 4 hole because I hit oppo a lot and for a very high average. In other words, I am very good at consistently moving runners. I am just not very fast but I am fast enough to not hold up a big meathead in the 5 hole who is probably gonna hit it out anyway.
6 and 7 - solid hitters, hopefully
8 - another deep threat
9 and 10 - whatever is left
11 - weak hitter with solid wheels who won't slow up your leadoff hitter

Actually, pretty much like Avy's order

" Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest"
-Mahatma Ghandi
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Star Player

I tell you last hitter is a back breaking role 😎

Don't let yer MeatLoaf
Old 08-06-2016, 03:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

Originally Posted by AVALANCHE#50 View Post
I tell you last hitter is a back breaking role 😎

Don't let yer MeatLoaf
Lol, I wanted no part of trying to stay ahead of the top of my lineup. Those kids were gazelles. I loved having them in the outfield.

I haven't gone so far as to bat myself last but I do bat lower in the order when I am the one making the lineup. IMO, it is good for team harmony. Even if you are the best hitter on the team, there can be a perception that you value your own swings above the team. On the other hand, it is tough for someone to argue their spot in the batting order when the coach is batting toward the bottom.

Also, for league games, I like to flip the order some when playing weaker teams and let the guys at the bottom of the order hit up top.

" Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest"
-Mahatma Ghandi
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Star Player

Or I may be just fast enough to stay ahead of the pack heh heh

Don't let yer MeatLoaf
Old 08-19-2016, 03:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Name: patrick
Default Help lol

Hey guys im new to this which bat is better a 2011 easton salvo 34/30 or a 2014 easton b helmer 4.034/26
metsin032000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Star Player

Originally Posted by metsin032000 View Post
Hey guys im new to this which bat is better a 2011 easton salvo 34/30 or a 2014 easton b helmer 4.034/26
Why would you ask this under a batting order heading? Try a 1997 Easton falcon 32/23

Don't let yer MeatLoaf
Old 08-19-2016, 04:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Don

I've found that in slow pitch, speed is far less important than OBP unless you're talking extreme gazelle vs refrigerator. If you have a 2-3 HR limit, I try to stagger the bombers so you don't waste a HR. Best case scenario you can go 123, 123, 123 with 1 and 2 being OBP guys and a slugger at 3. The 2's I'd like to be either oppo righties or leftys, because as a wise man once told me "sometimes it's good to hit to left field, but there's never a bad time to go right side".
oppo and defos like this.
TTOAVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Don

Dandles - I like how you were able to track LD, FB, GB. In my opinion, it's much more valuable to know if I guy hits a screamer right at the SS than a PF bloop to a weak fielder. I've been trying to keep some stats on teams I've played on too. If you or anyone else is interested, I have a couple methods (warning, super nerd stat stuff):
HR are only balls that go over the fence. Doubles, triples, and IP HR are all "extra base hits" and for those I award 2.2 total bases to calculate SLG, because really how far you get depends not only on the hit but the fielder, and since the bases are so close there really isn't much difference between a double and triple. I tend to be more strict on ROE, if a ball "should" have been caught, it's an error. To compare players, I use OBP and isolated power (ISO; SLG-AVG). Because it's hard for our brains that have been reading baseball stats our whole lives to say a guy who hits .400 isn't good. So if you add them together (OBP + ISO), you get a number that looks similar to OPS, and you can tell who's "better" and what their relative values are.
I warned you, super nerd stat stuff...
TTOAVP is offline   Reply With Quote