General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Bats, Rolling vs. Shaving

This is a discussion on Bats, Rolling vs. Shaving within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
Hello everyone, I've played baseball all off my life but due to my career coming to and end, I began ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Name: Nicholas
Default Bats, Rolling vs. Shaving

Hello everyone,

I've played baseball all off my life but due to my career coming to and end, I began to play softball. I've been playing a few games here and there for a year now but as the time goes on I find myself more interested in softball by the day. Since I am new to softball, I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could help me with.

1. Which are the best bats out there for softball? (Easton, DeMarini, Combat Series, etc..)

2. I've heard a lot of talk about bats being rolled & shaved, which one is more beneficial & if you could afford to do both should you do it?

Thanks for the help!

Nickster849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: B

If you played baseball all your life, you shouldn't need rolled or shaved bats. Actually, only those with no skills and small penises need rolled and/or shaved bats.
As for bats, most manufactures have good bats, the key is finding the one that fits you best. There are a million bats out there with different feels. Find weighting and balanced/endload that works well and narrow it down.
oppo, harry, defos and 2 others like this.
Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Daniel

The fact that you are already asking what is most beneficial makes you a tool bag. Doin either is illegal and completely makes you a punk ass bitch if you do them. So don't do it. As for the best bats everybody knows that demarini is heads and shoulders above the rest
oppo and TRaj2327 like this.
Email with questions [email protected]
Dgambill85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Kris

Rolling/shaving your bats is the douchiest thing you can possibly do.

Drop bombs with a stock bat, you can actually feel proud of yourself.
oppo likes this.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: CB

Rolling is basically breaking in your bat fully at once, but 90% of the time your going to get someone that did a crap job that causes your bat to break prematurely. I really don’t see an issue with rolling personally, but it’s against the rules & they will ban you for 2 yrs if they catch one.

Shaving basically they remove material from inside the bat which you lose around 500 swings of bat life per ounce removed. It makes the bat rebound further & surpass the 1.20bpf rating (utrip, nsa). It makes the ball come off the bat a lot faster and go further. Very easy to spot though & will fail compression test. I can usually spot these immediately which means so can the umps & they will ban you butt big time for this one especially if you hurt someone. New bats are a waste doing this they will spiral & break before it surpasses the bpf rating.

Best bats out there to me:
Miken: Superfreak maxload, mv1, & rev ex maxload (stiff 1 piece with 14.5” barrels balanced or endloaded)
Easton: Sp12sy100/100w, sp13b2/L2, & the 100 salvo (stiff 1 piece with 13.5” barrels balanced & 12” endloaded barrels)
Combat: Derby boys, wanted, dirty 120, avarice, & def the new G2 plague (best feeling barrels in the game with good prices)

Only sissy’s swing limp noodle demarini’s
Worthman89 and Nickster849 like this.

Last edited by Fuzz; 11-01-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
hb2
Mod'ing aint Easy

Name: Jay

I'm not gonna bash u on rolling a bat. I get it.

Not everyone has time for bp.

Shaving.... you might want to crawl into a hole. E-nuff mentioned.
hb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Daniel

Rolling isn't as bad and ill honestly say I've owned and had a bat rolled. Og juggy. Holy crap did it change offer that. But please or the sanctity of the game don't shave your bats. Beat shaved vag not shaved bats.
Email with questions [email protected]
Dgambill85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
hb2
Mod'ing aint Easy

Name: Jay

Rolling is a grey area. If you have time... great. Even better. Learn your bat.
hb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
SFZ Supporting Vendor

Name: Smarkley

New standard ASA dont need shaved and rolling them is not needed. We all need more BP, swing ur new bats in BP till they are ready to game.
I haz some stiffie Demarinis and I would say they could out hit any other brand. The VX2, Aftermath and Mercy have transcended the wet noodle feel you speak of. I like the DB ASA but the EL is just to much IMO. The ASA Ultra is a nice balanced bat but, the Demarinis will out hiit it once you learn how to hit it.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: Me

Either one is cheating and for bitches but shaving is worse. Shaving is for pussies.
Football Bat likes this.

" Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest"
-Mahatma Ghandi
oppo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bats, rolling, shaving, slowpitch, softball