General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Bat Protest - What would you do ?

This is a discussion on Bat Protest - What would you do ? within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
I wrote this on another board and figured I'd copy/paste it over here. It's my thoughts on the interference call ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2005, 12:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Max Johnson

Default Breaking up a Double Play

I wrote this on another board and figured I'd copy/paste it over here. It's my thoughts on the interference call on a standard double play (or perhaps the lack thereof).

I applaud any middle IF who throws the ball through to 1B when a runner is obviously standing straight up trying to interfere because I know I wouldn't have the balls to do it. I'd be too afraid to kill the guy. The way the rule is written (you have to actually drill the runner to get the interference call) is retarded. Talk about 'we all have to go to work the next day'. Umpire should have the discretion to call a DP when a runner intentionally interferes with the throw to 1B (and I'm not talking about sliding into the guy hard).

The middle infielder who holds the ball because the runner is going in standing up with his hands over his head flailing (I've seen this in an industrial tournament) is penalized for looking out for the asshole's life when he's too stupid to look out for his own.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
KennyH123

I agree, but I will go in to second base sometimes purposely standing straight up and pretending I'm gonna barrel into the guy... but I'm trying to intimidate the less experienced player,thats all. You'd be amazed how many guys "hear footsteps" and throw the ball away.

Believe me, if I see the guy catching the ball and firing, Im ducking out of the way, cause thats what the guy should do. But Im not gonna peel off and make it easy for him.

I don't "flail" my arms or interfere, but I make it seem like I'm gonna run into him and interfere just on the off chance that the guy doesn't know what he's doing.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Max Johnson

That happened to me this weekend while catching. I got run into (accident) in one game and then in the next game I saw a much bigger guy out of the corner of my eye change directions while coming home like he was going out of his way to lay me out while I was up in the air. My glove arm got short and I missed the play. That pissed me off than the guy who did drill me when I was up in the air. That guy just put his arms up under the "look out for flying fatasses" theory so I had no beef with him.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Bat Protest - What would you do ?

Just want to get some opinions....

this past weeked we were playing in the Suffolk County KofC championship game...this is an ASA league....during batting practice I noticed that a couple of the guys on the other team were using a Worth PSTOC (USSSA Bat).....

During the 1st game they used the bat without any damage being done.....During the 2nd game one of the guys used it and beat our RC for a three-run triple.....

I called the bat out, the umpire ruled it illegal....called the batter out and negated the runs socred....it happened to be the 3rd out of the inning....was a real rally killer tbh...

A few guys from the other team said it was bush league and I should have pulled them aside to let them know....they claim they had no idea....

Just curious what you would have done......

BTW - We won the 2nd game, and were crowned the Suffolk County KofC champions with a 24-0 record for the season !!
LIHITMAN23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Leading Off

Name: Phil

Originally Posted by LIHITMAN23 View Post
Just want to get some opinions....

this past weeked we were playing in the Suffolk County KofC championship game...this is an ASA league....during batting practice I noticed that a couple of the guys on the other team were using a Worth PSTOC (USSSA Bat).....

During the 1st game they used the bat without any damage being done.....During the 2nd game one of the guys used it and beat our RC for a three-run triple.....

I called the bat out, the umpire ruled it illegal....called the batter out and negated the runs socred....it happened to be the 3rd out of the inning....was a real rally killer tbh...

A few guys from the other team said it was bush league and I should have pulled them aside to let them know....they claim they had no idea....

Just curious what you would have done......

BTW - We won the 2nd game, and were crowned the Suffolk County KofC champions with a 24-0 record for the season !!
Congrats on your win... fuck them.....

Everyone says " we didn't know" when caught
Old 08-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
SFZ Addict

Name: Jerry

I say nice job:thumbsup:

I hate the "we didn't know" answer... fuck you, 90% of the time they know
PrimeTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
SFZ Addict

Name: Jerry

Damn you Phil, always thinking what I'm thinking
PrimeTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: Brian

I agree, fuck them.

BUT, you probably should have called it out in the first game. It was a little bush league that you waited something would go in your favor (ie, negating a 3 run triple in game 2)
bis25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Star Player

Name: jimmy

Originally Posted by bis25 View Post
I agree, fuck them.

BUT, you probably should have called it out in the first game. It was a little bush league that you waited something would go in your favor (ie, negating a 3 run triple in game 2)
I disagree about it being bush unless you know them and are friends (then its bush)...

If I see a bat that's not legal for play I will always wait for it to be used in a situation that can make a difference...no harm no foul...if it doesn't hurt you let them use it...if it does, call it out...

The umpire should have checked the bats first in ASA so hey can get mad at him too...unless for an obvious reason it wasn't around for bat checks...

JIMMY34
JIMMY34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Leading Off

Name: Robert

I agree with these guys Fuck that team. Happened to our Sunday morning team a few years back. ASA league, the other team is using a Freak Plus (USSSA Bat). We waited for someone to get a hit that mattered, then we called it out. Part of the stratergy.
Bono31 is offline   Reply With Quote