General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Bat break in question

This is a discussion on Bat break in question within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
As many of you know, I bought my 1st composite bats last August. The Miken Psycho ASA only took a ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Duane
Default Bat break in question

As many of you know, I bought my 1st composite bats last August. The Miken Psycho ASA only took a few hits to open up, but the Miken Geno Buck M Nation ASA is a different story. It's advertised as being stiff, and it is. I probably have between 500-600 hits on it, mostly off a tee or "self toss" along with a teammate and I using it in 1/2 dozen games last fall. It still hasn't opened up except for a small area towards the end. I realized after it got too cold to hit that I hit the same part of the bat when I hit off the tee. I was rotating it, but not varying where on the barrel I was making contact. DUH! Anyway that one small area opened up some after a couple of rounds using .44/375 balls. Those babies fly off this bat!

My question is, what can I do to get this bat to open up in the month between now and the start of practice? Still too cold to hit outside. I don't really want it at it's peak at the start of the season, just a lot closer than it is now. I have a nylon/plastic mallet that weighs about 2 lbs. Will hitting up and down the barrel with that help? If so, how hard should I hit it? It doesn't bounce or give like rubber mallets do. I bought the bat NIW, but with no receipt, so there's no warranty to consider. If nothing else, I have some .44/375s I plan to use with this bat when we start BP, at least for the 1st couple of practices.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: B

I would get a ball mallet if you are going to go that direction. I have used it a limited amount of time on a couple sticks but really don't have the patience. I would just be patient (funny and hypocritical by me? eh, probably but I am weird like that) and try to get some live bp and maybe game it some until she gets going. I come from an Easton background (and a Miken Recoil) some I have had bats that took awhile to get going, but they last a long time so once broken in I have that for years. I am not a bat breaker though, nor am I a religious bp guy though I wish I could do it more.
So, that is MY opinion. I have never rolled a bat and I definitely do not suggest going that route especially with the new bats. If anything, get a ball mallet or make one if you want to do that route but the other mallet might not be a good idea...or it could be great. I have a dead blow hammer I could try on a cheap bat but then we get back to that impatient thing. Don't get crazy with it if you do and see what happens.

tl;dr
Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

I do have a couple of ball mallets I made to break in gloves. Hadn't thought of using them on the bat. Thanks!

I expect this bat will last a long time. The Psycho, not so much, with it's soft feel on contact right from the start.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: D J

Not trying to be a dick......... but that ASA Psycho will never get soft . And for the M Nation, I find Aspen or Maple works best. I bought this bat last year....and was underwhelmed. Use your mallet, hit those 375s and make sure you leave them out in the weather before you hit. That may bring it along nicely. BP as much as you can.... it will get there.
oilslick58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

The Psycho may not ever get physically soft, but it feels soft on contact. The M Nation feels hard, and the 28 oz Freak NXT (all associations) is a perfect balance between the other 2, but it's a 28 vs 30 oz for the others.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: CB

44/525s perhaps. That's what I use with eastons
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

I do have 1 brand new Super Blue Dot .47/525, but chasing that 1 ball around the field will get old fast!

It's finally nice enough to get outside and hit this week, so I've put another couple hundred hits on it off the tee over the past 2 days. I thought it sounded and felt more like I think it should yesterday. Distance is hard to tell because the infield is too muddy to be on, so I've been hitting diagonally across the outfield. And I'm trying a new grip. Most of the .52/300 Evil balls I've been hitting have probably been hit well over 100 times. Most seem to be holding up well, but surely aren't flying as well as new ones. They are what's in my truck after a throwing session Sunday. Maybe I'll get out the new .44/375s today. Live BP Sunday!!
Old 04-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Little bit of an update - we've had live bp several times now. The 1st day I hit mostly new .44/375s. Since then I've just hit .52/300s. It's been so windy every time we've had practice it's hard to tell much about the bat. Sunday, the teammate who uses this bat was there for the 1st time, and I noticed the bat sounded totally different than it has, though that could have been partly due to the 35 mph crosswind blasting my ears. When it was my turn to hit, the guy pitching bp (not a pitcher normally), had lost his touch and I didn't get many good pitches. Those that were the right height were way inside, and those over the plate were way high. One of these days, we'll get to practice on a warm, calm day, I'll get good pitches, and I'll be able to tell if the bat is coming around (or if the guy swinging it is the problem!).
Old 04-03-2015, 07:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Phillip

does the psycho use any vibration control tech?
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

I don't think it does. I left it in the equipment box at the church field so I don't have to haul it around, so I can't check it right now.
When I describe how these bats feel, keep in mind these are my 1st composites, so I really don't know how they "should" feel. With the SuperCells I'm used to, I could feel the bat give and rebound as it launched the ball. I feel the Psycho give on contact, but don't feel the rebound. Up til last week, I couldn't feel the Geno Buck give.

I hit off the tee with both bats yesterday, and the balls were flying off both of them. 65 degrees with about a 10 mph wind blowing straight out to left. The wind was definitely a factor, but the biggest thing was my swing felt the best it has in a long time. Over the winter I changed my grip to a half overlap with 2 fingers off the end of the bat. I'm holding the bat with really just my right index and middle fingers and thumb. Ideally my left hand is relaxed. This requires a lot of my wrists and forearms. I've hit enough lately that I can feel they're getting much stronger. I've also been experimenting with my stride and weight distribution and it felt like it all came together yesterday. My swing felt smooth and strong, and the balls were coming off the bats noticeably harder and carrying farther than 2 days ago.
The Geno Buck is definitely getting better, but to my surprise, so is the Psycho. My longest hits yesterday were with the Psycho, but the Geno Buck was only a few feet shorter and has more room for improvement than the Psycho, I think. Both should be good to go when the games start in 4 weeks.