General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Argh

This is a discussion on Argh within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
So I was talking a few weeks ago about how to get rid of this guiy on my team who ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Gern
Default Argh

So I was talking a few weeks ago about how to get rid of this guiy on my team who is awful. Super nice guy but terrible player. He can only play first and does it poorly. He's short and slow so if you throw high, forget about it. Terrible fielder and the absolute worst hitter. He was OH-for Fall. Between summer and fall he hit a combined .240. So I was just going to let him finish winterball and had a good excuse to give why he can't come back next year.

So we have a double header to start off winterball. He is the only guy who goes 5-5 with a sac fly, four RBIs and 3 runs scored. He was walking mighty tall last night. I didn't bat him last for the first time because I had new guys who hadn't played so I put all the returning guys in front, so he batted 7th. Had the nerve to come up to me and say "see what happens when you don't bat me last?" I almost flipped out. I just wanted to scream in his face "what would you have me do with someone who DIDN'T GET A F'ING HIT THE WHOLE SEASON?"

Now he's just a crappy player, there's no way he's going to hit over .500 for the season, he'll come back to earth but even if he hits .400 it's going to be harder for me to get rid of him now, especially if he hits in a couple more games. This is one of the things I hate about running a team. I don't want to puill for him to do poorly but now I'm slightly worried he'll hit more and that creates problems.

Chimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

Name: B

Is your catcher that bad? Maybe he found his groove. Happens to a lot of us at the end of the season only to magically disappear in spring.
Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
hb2
Mod'ing aint Easy

Name: Jay

Once u suck, u always suck.
hb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Duane

I have no doubt this guy is every bit as bad as you say he is, but I know from my own experience some people do hit better higher in the order. I used to be that way. When I hit at the bottom, I tended to hit like I should have been at the bottom of the order. But when I was hitting in the 1-5 spots, I responded and hit like I belonged there. Once in a 35 and older tournament, the coach had me hitting last in the 1st game. And I hit like a 9 thru 11 hitter. After the 1st game he let one of the other players set the lineup. He moved me to #5 - and I hit like a #5 hitter. He moved me to 4th for the rest of the tourney, and I responded with a HR the 1st game batting cleanup. I had an outstanding tourney hitting 4th and 5th. I played 4 years on another team for the same coach hitting 3rd, 4th or 5th, and hit well there. This was after hitting at the bottom of the order for 2 other teams of his. Turns out I like being the guy the team looks to to get the big hit, and I respond to the confidence shown me by placing me high in the order. I also responded according to the lack of confidence shown me by putting me at the bottom.

Of course, this doesn't address his pitiful defense, lack of speed, etc, and he will probably regress to his old ways soon. I'd leave him at 7 for 2-3 more games just to see how he does. Your expectations are as low as they can get, so the worst he can do is hit well and make your decision to get rid of him harder!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by defos View Post
I have no doubt this guy is every bit as bad as you say he is, but I know from my own experience some people do hit better higher in the order. I used to be that way. When I hit at the bottom, I tended to hit like I should have been at the bottom of the order. But when I was hitting in the 1-5 spots, I responded and hit like I belonged there. Once in a 35 and older tournament, the coach had me hitting last in the 1st game. And I hit like a 9 thru 11 hitter. After the 1st game he let one of the other players set the lineup. He moved me to #5 - and I hit like a #5 hitter. He moved me to 4th for the rest of the tourney, and I responded with a HR the 1st game batting cleanup. I had an outstanding tourney hitting 4th and 5th. I played 4 years on another team for the same coach hitting 3rd, 4th or 5th, and hit well there. This was after hitting at the bottom of the order for 2 other teams of his. Turns out I like being the guy the team looks to to get the big hit, and I respond to the confidence shown me by placing me high in the order. I also responded according to the lack of confidence shown me by putting me at the bottom.

Of course, this doesn't address his pitiful defense, lack of speed, etc, and he will probably regress to his old ways soon. I'd leave him at 7 for 2-3 more games just to see how he does. Your expectations are as low as they can get, so the worst he can do is hit well and make your decision to get rid of him harder!
I'm going to bat him 7th again this week, he'll most likely go back to his usual ohfer, then I'll bat him back at the bottom. If he does hit again, I'll keep him at 7 but i definitely can't bat him any higher than that, he's just terrible. He played on my coed team too this year and hit .300. Most of the girls actually hit higher than he did. He apologized afte that season like it was a fluke thing but it turns out, he's just a terrible hitter. He had the nerve to claim he played college baseball once and there's no college including Hollywood upstairs Medical and Beauty school that would take him on their team.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

I used to bat at the bottom of the order for one of my teams for the first few years I was new to. At some point I got bumped up due to absences and have pretty much stayed up there since. I do hit different depending on the kind of runners around me in the order. But then again, I can run.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Stork View Post
I used to bat at the bottom of the order for one of my teams for the first few years I was new to. At some point I got bumped up due to absences and have pretty much stayed up there since. I do hit different depending on the kind of runners around me in the order. But then again, I can run.
On this team, I don't have my big boppers, but everyone is relatively a good hitter (outside this one guy) so I don't really have a set lineup. I just kind of bat everyone everywhere. I bat at the bottom here and there just so everyone gets a chance to bat up toward the front. Yesterday I batted clean up, this Thursday I'll be batting 10th or 11th just to give other guys a chance to hit up front. But I bat pretty much the same whether I'm batting tenth or third. On my main coed team, I bat 7th every game. I've got three big boppers who bat in front of me on that team.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
OG SFZ Member

If I have a bad hitter in back of me, I try to get to 2nd whenever possible.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Daniel

This is why I go in telling coach to put me at 7. My favorite spot. I'm not the drama queen requesting 3-4 and I've got the stick to really help our team down there. I find myself hitting like shit when I bat higher. 2 or 7 is where I want to be.
Email with questions [email protected]
Dgambill85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

My favorite spot is 3, although I like leadoff too.

We're playing the worst team this Thursday so it's possible this guy may hit more which is going to be a pain in my ass.