General Slowpitch Softball Forum Discuss slowpitch topics that don't fit in to other categories here!

Another installment of which bat??

This is a discussion on Another installment of which bat?? within the General Slowpitch Softball Forum forums, part of the Softball Forums category!
Kinda hate to start another "which bat" thread, but here goes.. Never saw the need, nor had the funds, to ...

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Duane
Default Another installment of which bat??

Kinda hate to start another "which bat" thread, but here goes..

Never saw the need, nor had the funds, to change bats, but the .52/300 balls have me wondering. I currently use a Worth Carl Rose Supercell 2 and a Worth Lighthouse Supercell, both 30 oz, and neither have many hits on them. Also have a 30 oz Carl Rose Supercell (the gold one) with about 100 hits on it hanging on the wall, and a 28 oz Supercell 2. (Notice a trend here?) These bats hit the .44/375s well enough, but the .52/300s take off well then die out. Mostly hitting Evil balls. Teammates are noticing the same things with their Eastons and a Miken (the new green one). The ball launches well, but doesn't carry as far as it seems it should. Maybe it's the ball, not the bats.

About me and my preferences - 6'3, 205-210 lbs. I sometimes drop the bat head, but have a pretty flat swing so I'm not a home run hitter. I'm pretty much a linedrive, opposite field hitter, but I also hit some hard liners through or over the 5-6 hole. Occasionally I get hold of one and send it deep, but it just doesn't seem to carry like I'd like for it to. I'd like to burn the RF once in a while. Should mention I'll be 59 this month, still play 35+ games with and against younger guys and hold my own. I don't play like I'm anywhere near 59, but still I'm not likely to wear out whatever bat I use/buy.
I have it in my head I'd like to try a composite bat before I hang it up, IF it will hit the .52/300s farther/faster. Looking for a 30 oz with an end load (more the better), ASA, probably Miken, Easton, or possibly Worth. I'd rather not spend the bucks for a new one, but might be persuaded. I'm watching a couple of Miken NRG 500 Maxloads on e-bay.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
On The Team

Name: CB

If you want an og I'd get one well used.

Honestly I'd bypass the og"s & get new asa standard bat for sheer hotness. Easton sp13l4 maybe. The combat vts is suppose to have good endload. I can vouch for the combat 275's but your not getting a 30. I was rocking some 44s with a combat anti virus. I play nsa/utrip 90% of the time though
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

I was wondering about the wisdom of buying an older bat vs a new one designed to hit the .52s. Wanting to stay with a 30 oz limits the options for sure.

I just went over to the ballfield for some bp - off the tee and self toss with the CR SC2. Temperature was 81 with no wind. I had 7 .44s and 7 .52s. All had been used for 1 or 2 games and a couple of rounds of team bp. I hit 1 round off the tee to right (oppo), tossed 'em up & hit them to left, and then to home. Then another round off the tee to left and then tossed 'em up & hit them to home. It was obvious by the sound whether I hit a .52 or .44. I hit the last round both ways very solidly and consistently, and to be honest, the .52s actually went a little farther than the .44s.

I probably should save my $$ and hit with what I've got. I got this idea in my head a couple of weeks ago, and it was reinforced this week when I watched a guy in his 50's taking bp hit one out of the church ball field - 4' fence at about 285 feet - with a fairly relaxed swing. He was using a Z-1000 and an Ultra II Senior bat. Not sure which he hit that one with.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Name: D J

Originally Posted by defos View Post
I was wondering about the wisdom of buying an older bat vs a new one designed to hit the .52s. Wanting to stay with a 30 oz limits the options for sure.

I just went over to the ballfield for some bp - off the tee and self toss with the CR SC2. Temperature was 81 with no wind. I had 7 .44s and 7 .52s. All had been used for 1 or 2 games and a couple of rounds of team bp. I hit 1 round off the tee to right (oppo), tossed 'em up & hit them to left, and then to home. Then another round off the tee to left and then tossed 'em up & hit them to home. It was obvious by the sound whether I hit a .52 or .44. I hit the last round both ways very solidly and consistently, and to be honest, the .52s actually went a little farther than the .44s.

I probably should save my $$ and hit with what I've got. I got this idea in my head a couple of weeks ago, and it was reinforced this week when I watched a guy in his 50's taking bp hit one out of the church ball field - 4' fence at about 285 feet - with a fairly relaxed swing. He was using a Z-1000 and an Ultra II Senior bat. Not sure which he hit that one with.
guy
do yourself a favor spend 80 bucks and get a nice used ASA bat.
52s are simply not going to carry like the older balls.
Bet you could find any Combat 275 bat for a good price. If you need an ASA only.........just about any of them will performm with that ball.
oilslick58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
hb2
Mod'ing aint Easy

Name: Jay

I cant put in my .02 cents. I have hit the lighthouse super cell with the .52's about 320'. Hell... I hit an og techzilla about 340'. Maybe age is finally catching up.
hb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

I used my teammate's 28 oz Miken Freak 52 today. 1st swing I fouled it off trying to go oppo. 2nd swing landed on the warning track in left (275 ft field). Even the ump thought it might go out. Impressed everyone. I think that was the longest ball hit with that bat in 2 games today with 3 or 4 guys using it. Farthest I've hit a ball in a long time. Remember I'm almost 59. They played me deep in left next at bat, but I squibbed it off the end past SS.

I think I'll be buying a new Miken, but I'm not spending $300 for a Freak 52. Several other models are on sale for $160-180.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

For what it's worth, the ball I hit yesterday with the Freak 52 was a Champro .52/300. Coach bought some of those last week when he realized we didn't have a new ball for our game and he had to get what he could find quickly. They seem to be ok.

hb2, if I still lifted weights like I used to, and like you do, I'm sure I would stick with the Supercells with no regrets. I have no problem generating bat speed, even with a 30 oz, but I don't have the upper body strength to go with it anymore. I quit lifting regularly about 17-18 years ago. I blame my son. When he was 3, he picked up a wiffleball bat, and started imitating me lifting weights. The 1st time or 2, he really was trying to be like dad, but once he figured out I couldn't help but bust out laughing at him, he'd beat it downstairs just to be ornery and make me laugh. You can't lift while you're laughing! We also adopted our daughter at about that time, and she was a very active 5 month old. I had both kids every evening while my wife worked. Then work went crazy the next summer and I never got back to serious lifting.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Name: chris

This bat is pretty sweet and hits the 52/300 just fine. http://www.hq4sports.com/miken-ultra...tball-bat.html
csk415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip. I was close to buying one of those, but ended up buying a 2015 Miken Psycho ASA Supermax when I found out the Supermax is a 1 oz endload while the Maxload is .5 oz. Still not quite as endloaded as my Supercells, but close. The Psycho is about the only ASA bat with the Supermax endload. Other than price, graphics, and endload, there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the Psycho and the Ultra 750X Maxload from what I could find on various websites. The Psycho lists for $249, but I got it for $179 shipped. I think the Ultra 750X was $169 from that site. Ordered Monday afternoon, it shipped from Anaheim Tuesday, and I had it in Des Moines Thursday. I won't say from where out of respect for our site sponsors.

I was going to update after I use it in a game tomorrow, but I hit about 80 balls with it this morning off the tee and self toss. The 1st half dozen hits weren't much, but then I started hitting some impressive line drives. The line drives were carrying as far as when I tried to get some lift.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Name: chris

Good choice. Both are good bats. Enjoy the new composite.
csk415 is offline   Reply With Quote